Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Squid

jakeeboy
Fuel tank

Anybody here replaced the stock fuel tank on a VTR1000 1999 model with something with a larger capacity???
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fuel tank

I believe from 2001 and on Europe had the larger fuel tank, 19L vs 16L, which should be a bolt on except for the handlebars which need to be raised to clear the tank.
If that's not enough I have a 2001 VFR800 tank that raised capacity to U.S. 5.5 gallons which should be about 21 L.
Superbling used the later VFR tank and you can take a gander at our bikes to see what it looks like.

Kai Ju
Old 01-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Squid

jakeeboy

Cool, so you were able to marry up a VFR fuel tank to the VTR frame - was it a lot of work???

Do you have piccies of your bike - interested to see how that looks.

Cheers, Jakeeboy
Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
SuperSport

It was a bit of a pain because you have to slightly reshape the underside of the tank to clear the airbox lid and also cut a hole into the airbox lid to clear the fuel level sending unit.
You also have to fabricate a block off plate for the fuel pump hole which will also hold your fuel valve.
Then you get to make a rear tank mount and deal with the seat dilema.
With either VFR800 tank the seat ends up below the rear tank mount which looks a little odd, I dealt with it by raising the seat an inch with riser blocks.
This gave me more leg room bringing the seat height from 32" to 33".
All in all you'll spend a full day plus, depending on your fabrication skills and tool availability.
PM me if you want more details/pics.
To me it was well worth the effort because I can actually go 180 miles between fill ups.

Kai Ju
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Here ya' go:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=900
Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Some update on change to 19 liter...

Did almost all yesterday. So, it is a straight swap for everything except....except fuel tap, or as Honda call it "petcock assembly". And price of this thing bites. Bites really bad in US it will cost about 120-150 USD

In Europe it cost about 150 USD BUT only in Belgium. When I checked prices in France etc. it is 50 (!!!) euros more there

Therefore I will have to abandon my VFR tank and probably original tank to recover costs...eBay probably
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Jakeboy being in the UK I reckon you would get the same bikes as Australia, which means your later models (2002 and later I think) have the 19 litre tank. Bolt straight on with no changes to bars as suggested by another member. The increased capacity comes from the underside of the tank, not the top that you see, so it looks the same size.

I have spoken to a Honda dealer here who has fitted one. Didn't even need any new brackets or anything, straight on he reckons.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Inquiring minds want to know how much one of these Euro tanks costs from Honda?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg";p=&quot
Inquiring minds want to know how much one of these Euro tanks costs from Honda?

Sorry, I don't know but a quick peek at US Honda prices from RonAyers: $520 for the 16L. I'd suggest trying a country with a favorable exchange rate (not England). But no matter where, overseas shipping is going to be expensive as it's a large, heavy box(double walled).
Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
SuperSport

Before I installed the VFR tank I checked into the European tank and since I had access to a European parts catalog compared part numbers.
The part numbers for the small tank airbox and lid are the same as for the large tank airbox and lid.
That suggests that the underside of the tank is the same.
I also can't imagine that Honda would go through the expense/trouble of re-certifying the revised airbox/intake/jetting.
My two cents.

Kai Ju
Old 01-19-2006, 08:18 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

The underside of the tanks is different for sure. I know this because I have two tanks, and the 19 litre tank has a few extra lumps and bumps on the underside to give the increased capacity. These extra sections are not in the area that would impede the airbox.

Retail price for a new 19 litre tank from Honda was about $1,150.00 AUD.

Not cheap! But it was too hard to get a second hand one.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Squid

vtromey

from one of my old posts: http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/Honda.html

aftermarket 21 litre tank! anyone know anything 'bout these guys?
i know, expensive!!

. . . then i also heard that somebody also makes a larger aftermarket aluminum tank, anyone know?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for the info.
I was going by what I was told by a UK honda dealer who claimed that the bars had to be changed to clear the taller tank.
At least my research on the airbox part #'s was correct.

Kai Ju
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Originally Posted by vtromey";p=&quot
from one of my old posts: http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/Honda.html

aftermarket 21 litre tank! anyone know anything 'bout these guys?
i know, expensive!!

. . . then i also heard that somebody also makes a larger aftermarket aluminum tank, anyone know?
I found that ETI link too about last year and since tried to get some opinion from somebody who go one. Finally found one guy in Internet who says he got ETI tank (not on Shawk thou). He said that quality is very good, and he did not have any complaints. That's all I ever found about ETI tanks...

Aluminium tanks are avaialbe from many makers, but it is always "one-off" for Superhawk, never saw one as stock order...
Old 01-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Squid

jakeeboy

Wow, great responses - thanks everyone... I think (initially) I'll check out getting hold of a newer 19 litre VTR tank - especially if I don't need to change anything on the bike, and if I can get a yellow one hopefully the colour will match - that'd be ideal!!!

Now then, let's check out eBay ;-)

PS - I'm loving the bike - it's great to ride, even if it is more sports than tourer ;-) Glad I talked myself into buying it. Range for commuting isn't really a problem, I have a petrol station on my route every 5 miles - if not more. It's just in case I decide I want to go down the coast on it... I got 108 miles before the low fuel light came on, sounds about average - I wasn't pushing it (much)...

So now I've filled it up with BP optimax - just to see if the line of "can get you up to 20 miles more to your gallon" actually holds up under testing ;-) I'll let you know.