Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front End Swap - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Front End Swap - Need advice

It's show time. I picked up an almost complete front end from CI. The front wheel is bent. CI was up front about it. It was a pleasure doing business with you CI. I may be able to straightened the rim, however I might be better off getting another one.
I have the following parts for the swap.
- 954 forks, 954 calipers, 954 discs, 1000rr upper and lower triples and bearings, 1000rr m/c, fender and axle bolt.
I will likely bite the bullet and replace the springs and valving and source a set of clip-ons.

After reading a million threads, it seems that 929, 954 and 1000 wheels all fit and perhaps others!!! What are the other options and secondly what is the best option if weight is a consideration?
What would be a good choice for lightning the rear wheel. Matching similar look to the front is not top of the list although it would be a consideration.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
rc51 front wheels also fit that. For lightening the rear wheel, get a different swingarm. Its the only way your gonna get a lighter wheel out back.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-dogg
rc51 front wheels also fit that. For lightening the rear wheel, get a different swingarm. Its the only way your gonna get a lighter wheel out back.

I think I saw a RC51 rear wheel figured out on a stock swingarm with only a couple of small custom parts somewhere on here...
Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, it's possible, but a real PITA to swap in a RC51 or CBR wheel...

You need to swap out all the bearings for the correct axle size, and the needle bearing in the sprocket mount is the problem here, the rest is just standard bearings, press them out and press in new... Then you need to have new spacers turned to spec... And then you need to align the sprocket... I can't say 100% positive, but I believe you need to remove material, which is a bit more work than just using some spacers...

I'd say it's a lot easier just to swap out the swingarm, but that's me...

Yeah, all the above CBR front wheels fit nicely...

BTW RC51 wheels migth fit, but they are considerably heavier than the CBR's and expensive and hard to find, so usually not an option...

Last edited by Tweety; 12-26-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Back Marker

The rear transformation will have wait. The front swap will be consuming a few more $$$ before all is said and done.

What wheel is the better choice, 954, 1000rr, 600rr or F4i, if weight is a consideration?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
For the lowest weight, CBR 1000RR or the 600RR... It's basically the same wheel, with a few cosmetic differences... Next in line is the 929/954 wheels... Same here, same wheel, same weight slightly different looks... F4i... Well dunno where it rates exactly but heavier than the 1000/600...

The 1000RR wheel, also looks decent together with the stock rear wheel... I ran it like that for a good while...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
For the lowest weight, CBR 1000RR or the 600RR... It's basically the same wheel, with a few cosmetic differences... Next in line is the 929/954 wheels... Same here, same wheel, same weight slightly different looks... F4i... Well dunno where it rates exactly but heavier than the 1000/600...

The 1000RR wheel, also looks decent together with the stock rear wheel... I ran it like that for a good while...
Thanks Tweety, A 1000RR or 600RR in that order will be what I look for. The bike will be used at the track only and although looks is important, it isn't the most important unless it was real butt ugly. I will paint the rims the same colour so that they at least match.
Winters are long where I'm from, so I have time on my hands to find stuff.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

fender

I'm in need of a fender for the 954 forks using the 1000RR triples. What fender will fit. The one that I have is butt ugly and very heavy. I thing they used leaded paint LOL.
I saw on another thread that 7Moore7 had purchased a carbon fiber fender that needed moding to fit.
Last question, I'm missing one of the wheel spacers. Can I assume that the 1000rr spacer will fit!