SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   fireblade front end (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/fireblade-front-end-10065/)

Alan 12-14-2006 08:59 AM

That is impressive i take it you have had an off on one of your many trackdays!!!

marmaladedad 12-14-2006 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 37088)
Just so you guys know, I found out first hand why Heli-bars are soooo expensive. They can handle a 60+mph highside without breaking!!!!! They didn't even bend much at all and are still useable. :D

My Helis didn't handle a 100mph lowside. :(

superhawk22 12-14-2006 09:09 AM

So we've found the breaking point somewhere inbetween. :lol:

superhawk22 12-14-2006 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 37091)
That is impressive i take it you have had an off on one of your many trackdays!!!

Just happened Sunday.:cry: Got into the 20's though YEEHAWW!! I also got 3rd in my 1st ever race although it was a mock race still 1st competitive run anyway.

Alan 12-14-2006 09:24 AM

Well done hawk22 Nicky Hayden move over:) was this on your storm (hawk)?

superhawk22 12-14-2006 09:28 AM

Yes it was but it's not too badly hurt and should be an easy fix. The best part was it was againts gsxr's R1-and 6's and the like so I should've been no competition for them.

Alan 12-14-2006 11:15 AM

It just goes to show that the storm and a capable rider can still cut it with the quicker inline 4s.

superhawk22 12-14-2006 11:18 AM

+1 I've still yet to find a more versatile bike for the money!

VTRDarren 12-14-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 37088)
Just so you guys know, I found out first hand why Heli-bars are soooo expensive. They can handle a 60+mph highside without breaking!!!!! They didn't even bend much at all and are still useable. :D

didn't I read (or imagine) that you keep your clip-ons less than super tight to allow them to rotate a bit in the event of a crash?

superhawk22 12-14-2006 11:53 AM

Yes you did, unfortunately a friend of mine did me a favor :rolleyes: and tightened them up for me without me knowing.

rossi 12-17-2006 12:29 PM

I see that tl1000s helibars work with 929/954 conversion and had a look on the helibar web site and they do two types of bar.
HB9744 and HB9704,one for the 97 and one for the98 on, does enyone know the difference?
The dimensions they give for both bars are the same, is it the size of the clamps that go round the forks?

Alan 12-17-2006 01:03 PM

I dont know Jason but someone on here will as someone used Heli bars on here with there blade conversion.

rossi 01-04-2007 02:05 PM

Looking good now just need the Heli bars and sort out the brake lines and it's the front done and i must say it looks mustard!!!!!!!!!
I would upload some pictures but it says the file is to big to upload and i don't know what a URL is???

Hawkrider 01-04-2007 04:06 PM

Send me the pics via email and I will resize and repost them for you. gnemish at nycap dot rr dot com.

KC-10ENG 02-02-2007 05:02 AM

Any updates to the front end swaps?? (Pics)

rossi 02-02-2007 10:51 AM

Not quite finished yet.i have just got to sort the brake lines out and it's the front end done.
I will post some pictures when the hole bike is finished.
Still got the fairing and tank to paint ,fit the skimarx belly pan,Chain and sprockets,rear hugger and indicators.
Run out of money at the moment so it's on hold till the next pay day.
but i must say it's been money well spent it looks a different bike.
Still good come to those who wait and i can't wait to try out those 330mm fireblde brakes.should stop now and sound nice with the Arrow can's!

KC-10ENG 02-05-2007 04:11 AM

Hey guys,

I was over on the Heli web site today and found something intersting. I was looking at the specs on all of the heli-bars that would attach to 43mm forks. First here is the dimensions on the Aprilia 00-04 Falco bars

(They will be 2" taller, 3/4" more rearward and 2" wider.)

And here is the description on the Tl-1000 bars
(They will be 1 3/4" Taller 1" Rearward 2" Wider)

I e-mailed heli today to see which one has the most rise. As soon as I get a response I will post it up on the board.

Later Dennis

rossi 03-05-2007 10:58 AM

Well It's all done apart from the belly pan,and has been riden for the first time and what a differance!!!!!
Holds the line like a 600 now and it stops.
One thing i have got a question about is how quick it terns in at slow speeds,it feels like the front is going to tuck in.Has enyone else noticed this with 929 front end?
+ what sort of settings on the compresion /rebound and spring preload?
I am runing two lines on the preload,one and a half terns on the comp and rebound from fully in.and the second notch from the hardest setting on the rear preload.
I am going to post a few pictures of the rebuild when the belly pan has terned up so you can all see what my babby looks like.

rossi 03-05-2007 11:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
some pictures of my new front end and paint job ,it was that lovely honda orange before i started.

KC-10ENG 03-05-2007 12:28 PM

I finally got a reply from Heli about the falco bars and they are the wrong inside diameter, so they will not fit on the blade and RC front ends.

Your bike looks awesome! great job and happy riding.

Dennis

rossi 03-05-2007 01:00 PM

Thanks Dennis,still got a few moore things to do but it's getting there.

Hawkrider 03-05-2007 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rossi (Post 43520)
Well It's all done apart from the belly pan,and has been riden for the first time and what a differance!!!!!
Holds the line like a 600 now and it stops.
One thing i have got a question about is how quick it terns in at slow speeds,it feels like the front is going to tuck in.Has enyone else noticed this with 929 front end?
+ what sort of settings on the compresion /rebound and spring preload?
I am runing two lines on the preload,one and a half terns on the comp and rebound from fully in.and the second notch from the hardest setting on the rear preload.
I am going to post a few pictures of the rebuild when the belly pan has terned up so you can all see what my baby looks like.

Rossi,

First thing's first - make sure your tire pressure is good. I don't like to run any more than 32psi on the street.

The forks are shorter on the 929, and I can tell from the pics that the bike has a nose-down attitude. This is going to put much more weight on the front end and effectively decreases rake (probably by at least a degree). The answer is to lower the fork tubes in the triples to be flush. Another way to increase front ride height is to increase front preload. Typically, Honda fork springs are on the soft side anyway so try going to full hard and check sag.

Also, you're running quite a bit of preload in the rear. That won't help things and, unless you're pretty heavy, probably isn't giving you good sag numbers on the rear either. Reduce preload on the rear at least 2 notches and measure sag.

Try that and report back with your numbers. You should be shooting for about 35mm front and 25-30mm rear.

If you have any questions about setting sag PM me and I'll email you specific directions.

Hawkrider 03-05-2007 02:47 PM

Hey, I also noticed you're running DOT race tires. Are they spent? Did you even get them hot on your test ride?

KC-10ENG 03-05-2007 03:09 PM

Hey Rossi,

What clip-ons did you end up going with. A picture from the riders perspective of the clip-ons, etc.. would be great. I am collecting parts for my swap right now.

Thanks Dennis

superhawk22 03-05-2007 04:02 PM

Dennis as far as clip-ons go if you're going with the Heli-bars the tl-1000s bars were the highest of the group. I used 954 Heli's and they are a little lower than the stock position and I had to reposition the throttle so it wouldn't hit the fairing.

It's hard to tell but it looks like rossi already has the forks flush, it will feel much quicker than it did before but it's just something you'll get use to. I've yet to have any stability issues even down the back straight taking T-2 at 120 or so. What I did for my settings was to get a manual for the gsxr forks I put on, set it to the #'s listed and tweeked it to my style and weight from there.

Hawkrider 03-05-2007 04:09 PM

Yeah, extremely hard to tell. A good pic of the upper triple would be super.

killer5280 03-05-2007 07:54 PM

When I put my 954 front end on my Hawk I had fairly worn Pirelli Diablos on the bike and a 6mm spacer under the shock. I had preload maxed out (adjusters all the way in) and the bike felt weird and a little twitchy. (I should add that I cut 3 coils off the stock 954 fork spring for a higher initial spring rate, and I did lengthen the spacer to compensate for the shorter spring.) Backing the preload adjusters about 4 or 5 turns out helped immensely--the bike was immediately more confidence inspiring and soaked up bumps much better, but still steered too quickly. I took the 6mm spacer out from under the shock mount and the bike was just about right.
Recently I changed to Pilot Powers front and rear and the steering became very, very slow. I don't know if it's the tire profile or circumference or a combination of those factors, but the steering was heavy and slow, although stable. The steering was too truckish for my tastes, so I put a 4mm spacer back under the shock mount. Now the bike steers quickly with plenty of stability. It doesn't feel at all like the front is going to tuck.
The point of this is that there are a lot of factors at work with changes the magnitude of a fork swap. Be patient and you'll sort it out. When I first made the swap I wondered if I had made a mistake; now I find it very solid, compliant and confidence inspiring.

rossi 03-06-2007 01:13 AM

The tyres i am runing or metzeler remsport and they have seen some action.
Hawkrider said about the sag is that statick or laden?
The bars i am useing are 954 blade items with the stock locating lugs cut of so you can move the bar where you whant them plus they will moove if you have an off.
I have posted a few moore pictures so you can see it a bit closer.

rossi 03-06-2007 01:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I think the tyres could be most of the problem i am used to bridgestones and these have got a moore agresive profile for quick terning and they are super sticky!

rossi 03-06-2007 10:16 AM

just played with the suspension settings and tyre presures and bingo problem solved.
I went for 35m of statick sag on the forks and a quarter terns out from fully in on the compresion and rebound.
standard preloade seting on the rear and a quarter of a tern out from fully in on the rebound.
Tyre presures/34psi front and 42psi rear.
Thanks for all your help,just got a few cosmetick things to sort out and job done for now......