Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

fireblade front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Squid

rossi is on a distinguished road
Talking fireblade front end

I was just about to fit the front end out of a 2001 modle rry fireblade .
has enybody else done this befor,and what sort of problems am i going to run into?
It's a bit hard to get hold of eny info over here in the uk.
many thank's ,jason.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Do a couple searches... Icebud did a 1000RR swap... Capt Chaos has an RC swap going on... quite a few swaps documented already...

Most of the issues are fork length/clip on height, interfernce with radiators, grinding of lower triple to clear front bracketry, and decreases turn radius.

I'm in progress of an RC51 with 929 triples.... will update when I have something to share.

J.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Back Marker

Alan is on a distinguished road
929 front end

Rossi

Jason i live in the UK in Leeds and have completed my 929 front end conversion if you want any help let me know send me a pm and i'll give you my email add
Alan
Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

Thanks alan i will be in touch,I see you have also fitted a single sided swing arm asswell.
Is it a vfr800 arm?look's good.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey Jason, yeah I've fitted an RC51 front end. Like Slowhawk said once you swap to tapered bearings and cut down the stops on your lower triple, your main issues (which I had and you'll probably also have with the 929 front end) are going to be trying to find the right bar setup, and the fact that at max turn your forks are going to touch the radiators/hoses, thereby decreasing your turning radius. My lower triple is also going to hit the inside of my fairings, which is why the sides aren't on the bike right now (I can ride the bike but I'm not done yet). My radius is not really too bad, but I'm going to see about making some small spacers and moving the radiators back slightly. I also have the stock RC bars above the triples and flipped over. Seem to be good but I also have some 954 bars on the way I want to try. They have a huge lift, they look like helibars, so they may be useful for the guys doing 929 swaps with the shorter forks.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
By the way Slowhawk, the swap you're doing is exactly what I was wondering about. Let me know how that stuff fits up because the RC lower triple tapers downwards from the neck and holds the forks at a lower point, whereas the 929 triple is flat. Wondering if that works out any better/worse clearance wise with regards to turn radius and fairing clearance.

Beau
Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 954RR forks on mine. It handles great and the brakes are very powerful. I think other than maybe the 1000rr forks it the best and easiest install. The RC51 forks are popular but essentially 929/954 forks with smaller brakes. Make sure you use the brake master cylinder from the donor bike.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
By the way Slowhawk, the swap you're doing is exactly what I was wondering about. Let me know how that stuff fits up because the RC lower triple tapers downwards from the neck and holds the forks at a lower point, whereas the 929 triple is flat. Wondering if that works out any better/worse clearance wise with regards to turn radius and fairing clearance.

Beau
The 929 and 954 triples are tapered downward too. I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as the rc51 but look the same. You might get on bikebandit.com to check part numbers. I'm using 929 triples on mine.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:27 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
The differences between the 929/954 and RC triples that I have seen are....

The uppers- The RC is flat across.... just like the superhawk triple, the 929/954 is tapered, or steps down as it reaches the forks.

The lowers- The RC steps down as it reaches the forks (kind of like the 929/954 upper does, just a bigger step), where the 929/954 is straight across like the superhawk triple (just a hell of a lot thicker and more robust)

From what I've seen from other pics, the 929/954 lower seems to just barely clear the fairings, I'll know more in the next few weeks once i bolt mine up. (Swap going slow due to my 1 month old newborn... sucking the free time outta me!!!) I bought both the RC and 929 upper triples... I figured between the two I'l have more flexibiltiy on clipon height and placement... I also have a set of 954 clipons to try at first, although I think may go Heli eventually inorder to get the bars back closer me, like the original Superhawk locations. (The 954's are about 3/4" - 1" forward in comparison to the 'Hawk)
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Back Marker

929 front end

Originally Posted by rossi
Thanks alan i will be in touch,I see you have also fitted a single sided swing arm asswell.
Is it a vfr800 arm?look's good.
Hi Jason yes its the sss off the vfr800 where abouts in the UK are you?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Back Marker

front end

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
The differences between the 929/954 and RC triples that I have seen are....

The uppers- The RC is flat across.... just like the superhawk triple, the 929/954 is tapered, or steps down as it reaches the forks.

The lowers- The RC steps down as it reaches the forks (kind of like the 929/954 upper does, just a bigger step), where the 929/954 is straight across like the superhawk triple (just a hell of a lot thicker and more robust)

From what I've seen from other pics, the 929/954 lower seems to just barely clear the fairings, I'll know more in the next few weeks once i bolt mine up. (Swap going slow due to my 1 month old newborn... sucking the free time outta me!!!) I bought both the RC and 929 upper triples... I figured between the two I'l have more flexibiltiy on clipon height and placement... I also have a set of 954 clipons to try at first, although I think may go Heli eventually inorder to get the bars back closer me, like the original Superhawk locations. (The 954's are about 3/4" - 1" forward in comparison to the 'Hawk)
Slowhawk (Jason) the 929 front end has no clearances issues with the fairings only the rad hoses and the turn radius i chose not to grind the stops and move the rads back afterall its only a small amount of radius thats reduced,and unless your planning on doing 3 point turns everywhere i dont see the need to change it but its a personal thing at the end of the day.Like you said the main problems are getting the right clipons to give you enough rise i say 2.5 inch to 3 inch rise will be enough.I have used spondon clipons and they work great.Heres a few pics when i was building mine

Old 12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Squid

I was right about the swing arm then.
About the lock stops on the bottom yoke,how about drilling and taping it out and makeing your own adjustable stops like my old m900 monster.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Squid

I am in cambridgeshire,I swaped my m 900 monster for the firestorm.
Broke the monster every time i rode it!!
Very happy with firestorm's performance it just need's a bit of updating in the suspension and the brakes.
The monster had 320mm brembo discs HH pad's and braided lines(one finger jobs) my mate had a heart attack when he tryed to stop it after getting off his tl 1000s.he did comment on how easy to ride the honda is comprd to the tl though.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Back Marker

front end

Not sure what you mean by adjustable or do you just mean by moving them back to get full lock?

The other thing you need to do with the swap is shim your ignition to line up the steering lock only if you have full lock to lock so the pin will slot in.If you dont intend on moving the stops/grinding them you will have reduced turning circle so then you can fill your old steering lock hole and redrill a new one so it matches the new position,i know of someone who did it this way.I dont really care about the steering lock as my bike is never left anywhere and is well secure on a night.

ps have you visited the UK vtr site there is plenty of useful info on there i'm usualy on there alot aswell as here.

click on the link http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/index.php
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Squid

The monster has adjustable lock stops on the bottom yoke you just wind them in and out to set the amount of lock you whant.
The monster was built useing an 888 raceing frame.
With out the adjusters the top yoke hits the tank on full lock.
Someone mentiond welding the lock stops on the blade bottom yoke to stop it hitting the rad hose and fairing.
I have got some pictures but i don't know how to load them up,show you what i mean.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Back Marker

front end

You would still need to move the radiators if you wanted full lock to lock, as the yokes are wider so welding the adjustables on would not eliminate this as its not the stops that cause the problem with it touching the rads.If you want full lock you have to grind away the stops on the yoke because they hit the the bracket on the headstock and then you would still need to move the rads then reposition some stops.Hope this helps
Old 12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Most (all?) bikes with USD forks have steeper steering head angles than the VTR with triples designed with this in mind. When using them on a bike with less rake, the steering manners are going to be altered; either good or bad depending on what you want/like. I found it to be slower.

You can drop the front end some to compensate but most (all) of these USD forks are shorter than stockers so you'd need to really think about ground clearance. Raising the rear would be more preferable but short riders won't like this solution.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
With the shorter forks you really don't have to drop the front, mine actually steers quicker than it did stock. My GSXR forks were 1.5" shorter I believe and I have the top of the forks flush with the upper triple so it worked out to be .5" shorter than stock because I mounted the Heli-bars under the triple.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

front end

Superhawk22 my sentiments exactly, flush with yokes clipons underneath.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Squid

Does enyone know if you can use the firestorm front wheel with the 929 forks?
I did'nt know if i could get away with just changeing the bearing's & spacer tube in the firestorm wheel,also will the 929/954 discs work?
Not sure what the offset is on the blade discs,or is it just easyer to hunt down a blade wheel.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

front end

No Jason if you want 929 forks on the storm you need to change the whole front end wheel/discs/calipers/front fender/clipons if you do go ahead its wise to try and get everything 929 instead of mix and match as it makes the conversion so much easier.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

No you can't, the 929 has larger rotors so the rotors wouldn't work, plus the inner hub would have to be ground out to be able to fit the larger collar. Oops Alan beat me to it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Squid

Thumbs up

I thought as much good idea while it lasted!
There is no going back now,the front end is off,my 929 forks and yokes will be with me on tuesday.
I have found the rest of the part's and i cant wait to get started.
Thanks for all your help and good info ,i will keep you posted on the build.

jason.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

Hope everything goes well for you keep us upto date pics would be nice.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Here's a link to a recent thread about front end swaps. On the second page I posted pics of my swap and my solution to the handlebar situation with a 954 front end, which was inspired by Kai Ju's handlebar fix.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=3895
Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Squid

Well the fork's and yokes are on and it look,s mustard!!!
Just got to sort out the front wheel,brakes and bars and then it,s on to the paint or maybe the rear end ,I new i should'nt have looked round this forum the wife is going to kill me!
When the job's done i will post some pictures.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Squid

Alan did you get spondon to make up you bars or they an off the shelf item?
And what sort of money are we talking about?
I've seen the heli bars but i do like the spondon items.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

Jason i got mine from a friend i was lucky got them for 50 i know they cost alot more than that though whatever you decide make sure they have 2.5 to 3 inch rise.Heres a pic of mine

Old 12-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Squid

Thank's Alan i will bear that in mind.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

Just so you guys know, I found out first hand why Heli-bars are soooo expensive. They can handle a 60+mph highside without breaking!!!!! They didn't even bend much at all and are still useable.

Quick Reply: fireblade front end