SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Factory Pro shift star EVO kit (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/factory-pro-shift-star-evo-kit-32808/)

Evil_Twin 01-06-2015 05:48 AM

Factory Pro shift star EVO kit

Does anyone know the best place to get one of these? I know chaparral racing has them for about $130 but I thought id ask and see if anyone knew of a place that had them cheaper. also, has anyone tried the pazoma cam chain tensioners? they look similar to the ape ones at a drastically reduced price.

7moore7 01-06-2015 10:24 AM

I'd bet good money they don't have one for a Superhawk. Double and triple check before ordering, because they're really hard to find.

mikstr 01-06-2015 10:40 AM

I had gotten mine through Scott at this site: Scotts Motorcycle Service of San Diego - Servicing all Street, Crusier Bikes, ATV, 4 Stroke Watercraft and Parts

Have you looked at ordering directly from FP?

E.Marquez 01-07-2015 08:19 AM

Any Tucker Rocky dealer should be able to source it, or was able to when I got mine.

thetophatflash 01-07-2015 04:06 PM

Got mine from their website a number of years ago.

CruxGNZ 01-07-2015 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin (Post 381527)
Does anyone know the best place to get one of these? I know chaparral racing has them for about $130 but I thought id ask and see if anyone knew of a place that had them cheaper. also, has anyone tried the pazoma cam chain tensioners? they look similar to the ape ones at a drastically reduced price.

The Chaparral website does have a FP shift kit, but not for our Superhawk.

I just ordered one from the FP website. Aside from the smooth shifting, I'm hoping it helps with finding nuetral easier (FP website says it does). My bike can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

thetophatflash 01-07-2015 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 381598)
The Chaparral website does have a FP shift kit, but not for our Superhawk.

I just ordered one from the FP website. Aside from the smooth shifting, I'm hoping it helps with finding nuetral easier (FP website says it does). My bike can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Did you get both the EVO Star and the detent kit? The 199.95 one? I was very pleased with the upgrade. The throw to second is still long, but it shifts much better.

Evil_Twin 01-08-2015 11:03 AM

mine likes to kick out of second into neutral all the time. my mechanic recommended that I switch out to the evo shift star and roller. Has anyone heard of this?

NZSpokes 01-08-2015 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 381602)
Did you get both the EVO Star and the detent kit? The 199.95 one? I was very pleased with the upgrade. The throw to second is still long, but it shifts much better.

I extended my shift rod and move the clamp further round the selector input on the gear box. All shifts are half what they were and when I power shift from first to second its instant. Same in all gears.

NZSpokes 01-08-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin (Post 381611)
mine likes to kick out of second into neutral all the time. my mechanic recommended that I switch out to the evo shift star and roller. Has anyone heard of this?

Sounds like a bent selector shaft in the box.

thedeatons 01-08-2015 11:49 AM

Yeah, your tranny has issues from operator error (bad shifting, power shifting, etc).

You should not band aid that with a shift star.

James

03hawk03Z1K 01-08-2015 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 381612)
I extended my shift rod and move the clamp further round the selector input on the gear box. All shifts are half what they were and when I power shift from first to second its instant. Same in all gears.

Howdid you do this. I hate how far the throw between 1-2 is. If I dont 100% make sure it grabbed perfect it pops out or doesnt even go into 2nd.

CruxGNZ 01-08-2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 381602)

Yes, that would be the one :cool:

Originally Posted by 03hawk03Z1K (Post 381620)
Howdid you do this. I hate how far the throw between 1-2 is. If I dont 100% make sure it grabbed perfect it pops out or doesnt even go into 2nd.

Have a look at this link.

Evil_Twin 01-09-2015 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 381613)
Sounds like a bent selector shaft in the box.

this thing? http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...86w~~60_35.JPG

NZSpokes 01-09-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin (Post 381640)

Yup thats what it sounds like but take the bike to a decent mechanic for him to diagnose. Not a job you want to diagnose over the interweb.

Evil_Twin 01-09-2015 12:31 PM

I did and he rode it and thought it was the shifter star had gotten worn out.

thedeatons 01-09-2015 03:43 PM

I don't really see how the shift star could be worn out. The likely hood is an internal tranny part.

Second opinion from another mechanic?

James

thetophatflash 01-09-2015 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 381651)
I don't really see how the shift star could be worn out. The likely hood is an internal tranny part.

James

+1

NZSpokes 01-09-2015 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 381651)

James

Agreed.

Evil_Twin 01-10-2015 06:22 AM

I'll have to see off I can find another mechanic that's familiar with superhawks. The honda shop by me didn't even want to admit that it was a honda. They insisted it was a suzuki.

Evil_Twin 01-21-2015 05:48 AM

So I had it checked out by another mechanic and he said it was more likely the detent spring was worn out. he said it gave enough force to keep it in 1,3,4,5, &6 but was just loose enough to make the detent pop back into neutral if you started to put a decent amount of load on it. I double checked with the mechanic I normally go to and he confirmed what the other mechanic said.

ratchetman 05-23-2015 08:02 PM

Has it ever popped out after it engaged second and started to climb through the tach? Or only during the shift?

CruxGNZ 05-23-2015 09:35 PM

Glad this popped up again. I ordered my shift kit back in January. Almost six months later and AFTER they took my money, Factory Pro still has not delivered. What the heck FP!?

CruxGNZ 05-23-2015 09:38 PM

N/P

Cadbury64 05-23-2015 09:58 PM

Sorry to hear that FP have been dragging the chain Crux. I fitted one of their shift star kits to my 99 VFR 800, what a difference that made. My baggy old Honda gearbox started to feel more like a snickety-snick Suzuki item.

By comparison I reckon my VTR's 'box is pretty good with the exception of 1-2 where I have to go slow to avoid a bit of a clunk.

I would not have thought that a shift star kit would be much use to fix a gearbox that is jumping out of second. Once the gears are engaged, the shift mechanism shouldn't be doing anything until it is time to change to the next gear. The detent mechanism will simply hold the shift drum in it's current location/gear, and the shift forks should be hanging between the gears but not exerting any force on them.

I had the jumping out of gear problem happen on my RF900, and that was caused by worn engagement dogs on the second gear. The dogs should be slightly ramped so drive torque pulls them into the adjacent slots. Missed shifts or just plain bad gear shifting can round-off the dogs so they stop working well, and at that point its time for some new parts (and engine disassembly). In the case of my 900, the parts had a rough cast finish on 2nd gear and some bikes worked fine, but mine didn't.

ratchetman 05-24-2015 05:50 AM

That's why I asked. If it's jumping out after engagement and power application, it's the dogs. The situation only gets worse. Trust me I know. Over 20 years as a professional mechanic. New parts aren't necessarily needed if the gear and slider aren't worn other than the dogs. You could have a 5 degree undercut done to the pieces and they won't jump out again. If new pieces are needed, this can still be done. All outboard motor gear cases are this way. Falicon does this, they call it their road race undercut.