Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Factory Pro HDJ needle jet

Old 06-17-2016, 04:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
another update: fuel economy improved after my last needle change but still not back up to pre-HDJ level... so I leaned both needles another 0.010" (FWIW, one needle clip position on HRC needles is 0.037" as measured on digital caliper). Bike is running extremely well (though I suspect it will run better yet after latest needle change). I have to say that the HDJ needle jets are doing an amazing job in the low-end and mids (better than I would have hoped to be honest). The bike has never pulled so cleanly and with so much authority at lower revs. I can now roll on it as low as 2500 rpm (in 6th!) and it just pulls, no bucking, farting or anything. A bit further up the revs, it has instant response and just charge ahead at the slightest provocation. If anyone is giving this (HDJs) some thought, I say go for it, you will not be disappointed. Besides, the development legwork (so to speak) has already been done (as trying as it was, I have no regrets now that I see how well the bike runs)

cheers
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

Just got back in from a short ride to Jack Flash's place to visit with him and have him help me to synch the carbs. The slight leaning of the needles helped clean things up yet again (can't believe how insanely responsive it is!). Now with a perfect synch thrown in, the engine is now smoother and more even to boot.

My work here is now done, I don't see how I can make it any better

A long and sometime eventful ride has been the HDJ experiment, but it was all worth it.

cheers
Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Would love to see an AFR charted run on the Dyno..Idle, mid and full throttle positions, and mid throttle to full roll on.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:33 AM
MotoGP

Had the bike on the dyno many times in the past but don't really feel a need to do so again. Of course, that may change at some point, but nothing planned for the foreseeable future.... sorry
Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
That's a bold statement mikstr,

Aren't you curious?

I know I am!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
That's a bold statement mikstr,

Aren't you curious?

I know I am!
You mean this one, Right?

" My work here is now done, I don't see how I can make it any better "

We need a snickering smiley!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM
MotoGP

well, considering :
- I have had the bike on the dyno numerous times in the past, including after 2 (yes, two) Stage 1 rebuilds (including one which saw it get 77 lb-ft and 122 bhp).
- I have over 150,000 miles travelled on said bike
- I have tried more mods than probably many here combined (airbox, air filters, exhaust, carb, frame reinforcements, suspension, brakes, wheels, steering dampers, cams, cam timing, velocity stacks, "X-wing" diffusers, and much, much more....)

So, I think I am well positioned to know what works and what "it works" feels like on my bike. Bold, sure,... arrogant, perhaps, but I know what I know, and what I feel. My past experiments and experience with my VTR have also earned me a well-deserved right to an opinion, and a very objective and credible one at that. And right now, it is spot-on everywhere. Feel free to disagree, it's a free world.

carry on.

Last edited by mikstr; 06-22-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
"I don't know why, but I believe him yo." Half Baked

I am seriously thinking of doing this to my carbs over this coming winter. Micky, thank you for forging the way for us!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-23-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: How did I get that quote wrong? Haha
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

I think it would accentuate very well the sum of your other efforts
Old 06-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
well, considering :
- I have had the bike on the dyno numerous times in the past, including after 2 (yes, two) Stage 1 rebuilds (including one which saw it get 77 lb-ft and 122 bhp).
- I have over 150,000 miles travelled on said bike
- I have tried more mods than probably many here combined (airbox, air filters, exhaust, carb, frame reinforcements, suspension, brakes, wheels, steering dampers, cams, cam timing, velocity stacks, "X-wing" diffusers, and much, much more....)

So, I think I am well positioned to know what works and what "it works" feels like on my bike. Bold, sure,... arrogant, perhaps, but I know what I know, and what I feel. My past experiments and experience with my VTR have also earned me a well-deserved right to an opinion, and a very objective and credible one at that. And right now, it is spot-on everywhere. Feel free to disagree, it's a free world.

carry on.

I don´t recommend to go dynoed. With my last setup, I had similar feeling as you write, and after dyno I felt a bit dissapointed Of course it is only full throttle number, but I am sure I will go to carbs again.

On the other hand, altough you are trustworthy, I cannot celebrate your progress because from my personal experience, I know only hard data shows the truth.
Another thing is that most of the behaviour you describe can be hardly catch by dyno numbers ...
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Mikstr,

There is no doubt or insinuation that you don't know what is right and what is wrong.

Like you and many on here I have tinkered with my bike and gone by my butt as to what is right and what is wrong.

I am curious as to what difference this mod has made and as you have numerous Dyno reference points I thought that you would Dyno her again to see what this mod had done.

The most important thing is that you have validated that it is a worthy mod and succeeded in getting a great result by persisting where others would of given up!

Thank you for that, however I can't help thinking what you are going to do next other than ride and enjoy her.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:44 AM
MotoGP

I may get it on the dyno at some point (I am curious too, of course), it's just not in my immediate plans. Perhaps that is a better summary of where I am at....
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I may get it on the dyno at some point (I am curious too, of course), it's just not in my immediate plans. Perhaps that is a better summary of where I am at....
I get what you mean on the dyno, but I was looking for AFR numbers, not HP and TQ...

Anyway..why did I bring up such an old thread???

Two things.. How are those carbs running now that you have had a bunch of hours on them? Did you every get AFR numbers post HDJ install?
And lastly...I noticed today, FP no longer is marketing the HDJ for any carb other then the screw in type, emulsion jet of the FCR39 MX carb, and only the OEM ones at that, not the aftermarket ones...
mikstr I think you broke Factory Pro...lol
Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

carbs are running great (or, they were last fall anyhow). I never had the bike on a dyno again and truthfully don't know if I ever will. My apologies if I put FP out of business, lol
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

carbs are running great (or, they were last fall anyhow). I never had the bike on a dyno again and truthfully don't know if I ever will.
Than I challenge you to install dual AF meters with graphing and test for us.....
My apologies if I put FP out of business, lol
I think your good...still in biz, I'll call the engineering guy I spoke to last month on the shifter parts and see what's up with the needle jets.