SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   exhaust (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/exhaust-16215/)

Woodytick 09-20-2008 06:25 AM

exhaust

ok guys i need some help. new the forum but not to bikes. except for this superhawk i just bought. i've been searching the net to try and find a 2into1 exhaust system for it. i really dont care for the 2into2 system thats on it, but i cant find one. does anyone now of any and can point me in the right direction.

Death Cattle 09-20-2008 07:53 AM

im surprised that you couldnt find anything on the forum. im not sure if anyone makes a 2to1 exhaust that already fits on our bike. i could be wrong though, my knowledge is nothing compared to a lot of guys on here. i have seen some custom 2to1 exhaust on here before though.

Woodytick 09-20-2008 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Death Cattle (Post 182145)
im surprised that you couldnt find anything on the forum. im not sure if anyone makes a 2to1 exhaust that already fits on our bike. i could be wrong though, my knowledge is nothing compared to a lot of guys on here. i have seen some custom 2to1 exhaust on here before though.

well i know a guy over on the shadowriders forum that makes custom exhaust for the shadows. i know he could make one for this bike, then all i would need is a slip on exhaust. how well does this bike perform with a 2 into 1.

BlackHawk996 09-20-2008 10:48 AM

im pretty sure you just have to re jet it. i had a 2 into 1 then my bike backfired and blew out a crack in my carbon fiber can. ran great before that though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/...c72ae7a3db.jpg

Gregw 09-20-2008 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Woodytick (Post 182131)
i've been searching the net to try and find a 2into1 exhaust system for it. i really dont care for the 2into2 system thats on it, but i cant find one. does anyone now of any and can point me in the right direction.

Hi Woody,
I would think you could just use the existing header, it's a 2-1-2. You would just need to cut and weld a patch for whatever side you wanted to block off. If you wanted the can on the right side though, there is a restrictor in that pipe that would need to be ground out. The blockage is near where the red line is in the photo.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...3&d=1221937206

Tweety 09-20-2008 02:42 PM

Nobody makes a 2-1 for the Superhawk... So your only option is custom...

Several members have attempted it and you certainly need a re-jet to make it work... The reason being that you loose midrange grunt and gain top-end...

Death Cattle 09-20-2008 05:21 PM

definitely need to re-jet to get it to run right as the others have said. it would be cool too, cause you can say you have exhaust that no one else has. haha.

BlackHawk996 09-20-2008 06:34 PM

a few people on here have a single can... i believe hawkrider does and someone else.

Woodytick 09-20-2008 08:07 PM

hey thanks for all the info guys. i'll probably do what greg said, then rejet and put a leo vinci slip on, on it. gotta do something though, i dont like the looks of the duals. its the only thing about the bike i dont like.

ericb269 10-16-2008 02:20 PM

how does it sound with one can

nuhawk 10-16-2008 04:43 PM

It's cheaper and easier to drop $500 bucks on a decent set of high mounts. You want to ride your bike or tinker with it for the next two years while you try to work out the tuning details? You want it to look like an I4 go buy one. In the long run it would be cheaper. You think your buddies on the CBR's run away from you now - wait until you have the performance problems associated with this mod. Just my .o2

j shizzy wizzy 10-16-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 185570)
It's cheaper and easier to drop $500 bucks on a decent set of high mounts. You want to ride your bike or tinker with it for the next two years while you try to work out the tuning details? You want it to look like an I4 go buy one. In the long run it would be cheaper. You think your buddies on the CBR's run away from you now - wait until you have the performance problems associated with this mod. Just my .o2

+1

mikstr 10-19-2008 07:17 AM

I am running a 2-1 and love it. You gain in the low and mids while losing a bit on top. If your bike is set up with a Dynojet kit, it is virtually a straight bolt-on affair. I cut my header at the end of the 2-1 section (just before it re-splits to two pipes), cleaned it up with a dremel and fit the link pipe (am using a high mount Blue Flame can from a 98 Yamaha R1; it slid right on). I recommend the set-up, it pulls like gangbusters in the mid-range.

epleeds 10-19-2008 09:11 AM

I have a single sided exhaust and love it. you dont see many like it and I had it tuned with no problems...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...wpics007-1.jpg

Woodytick 12-20-2008 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 185570)
You want it to look like an I4 go buy one. In the long run it would be cheaper.

first of all, i own a I4 and the damn dual exhaust on the hawk is ugly as hell.

[/quote]You think your buddies on the CBR's run away from you now - wait until you have the performance problems associated with this mod.[/quote]

second, my buddies don't run away from me on my CBR since it is a wolf in sheeps clothing race bike. i run away from them.

third, find a good tuner and have it tuned right and you won't have any problems.

finally, thanks for your two cents.

alive226 12-20-2008 08:51 AM

If you look into the guys that have done the VFR singarm swaps, I believe most, if not all of them have a single exhaust. Any of them should be able to answer any questions you may have. Like epleeds above. Nice bike by the way.........

mikstr 12-20-2008 09:47 AM

I love my 2-1 set-up. Before going the single can route, I did some research and found a few chaps on the UK Firestorm site who are quite knowledgeable about it. The consensus is that the 2-1 boosts lows and mids at the expense of a slight drop in top-end (verified on the dyno by some). Also, if your bike is stock it will need a re-jet but if you already have slip-ons and a DJ kit (properly calibrated), it is basically a bolt-on affair (as it was for me).

Dan Cronin 12-20-2008 12:37 PM

2-into-1 exhaust pipe pics

4 Attachment(s)
Hope this will help you get a better idea of how the exhaust pipe gets cut and welded. In picture 922, both headers are shown. The others show how the 2 pipes gets tied into 1 pipe as mentioned earlier by Gregw.

mikstr 12-20-2008 01:10 PM

Yep, I cut my header in precisely the same place (at the end of the merge, just before they split again) I used a dremel to clean up the welds (to reduce turbulence and restriction, smooth out the airflfow) given that I had access to them. Hook up the link pipe there (2" diameter) and you're in business.

MLB 12-20-2008 03:17 PM

hmmmmm

You're the 2nd one here that I've read that's had a carbon can blow out.
I might have to rethink what I want.

Originally Posted by BlackHawk996 (Post 182166)
im pretty sure you just have to re jet it. i had a 2 into 1 then my bike backfired and blew out a crack in my carbon fiber can. ran great before that though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/...c72ae7a3db.jpg

mikstr 12-20-2008 04:09 PM

Many people are of the opinion that V-twins and carbon cans do not mix, the twin's more powerful exhaust pulses apparently taking their toll on longevity...