Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Do sliders REALLY save your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Do sliders REALLY save your bike?

While I don't plan on laying it over any time soon,( I don't suppose anyone ever does), I already lunched my front ($$$) and am an aggressive rider in general. Chances are I will go down again. What do sliders save? Which ones? I don't care about cutting fairing bits.........
Anyone have first hand experiences to share?
Thanks guys...
K
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I only used my on a drop. I stalled it on a right turn and the engine locked up and I fell. It was great for that. My mirror stopped about a half inch off the ground. I have T-rex sliders and they were worth it just for that. As for high speed I hope I never find out.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Just saved my right mirror, turn-signal and excessive fairing damage from a bone move in the garage last weekend.....
just a tip over while wrenching.....
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
T-rex no cuts here as well....dead-dropped it on its right side on a sloped sidewalk...bike was lowered and kickstand was too long. Only thing it didn't save was the rearset assembly...bent the rear brake lever and snapped the whole bracket in half. I didn't have spools, those may have helped... But my fairings and mirror were perfect and I only had a tiny paint scratch on the case cover.

100% worth the money.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Sliders suck compared to case guards

like mine, which you can add DLs & hiway pegs to if you want to really freakout. They weigh a lot less than you think (thin wall chromoly steel) and are mounted low but don't touch at sane lean angles. Actually designed fo Japanese VTR track school bikes.
Attached Thumbnails Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-lt-side-b4-penske-rr-hose-c.jpg   Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-rt-side-b4-penske-rr-hose-c.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 11-19-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Very interesting.....brand? Cost? or should I just start googling case guards? Do they negate the fairing?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by redman
Very interesting.....brand? Cost? or should I just start googling case guards? Do they negate the fairing?
Don't bother trying to find them, they were made in limited numbers as a group buy for the original SH list years ago. I don't know how many made it to the US. Never shave een or heard of another SH with them on the new forum. You can try emailing Stu Abblet stu@ablett.jp for more info. It took a year for the little Japanese guy to come thru for us back then.

Tom Blum says he is going to try to make a set based on my input, you may want to see if he wants to make a run as a "group buy". I can provide more exact measurements if needed.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Redman go with the T-Rex sliders, I found out the hard way that they work as they are supposed to. Plus no fairing cutting is involved. They are out of Texas, Go Cowboys!, cost about $60.00 + shipping.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=10

Good Luck
Old 11-21-2007, 11:36 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
like mine, which you can add DLs & hiway pegs to if you want to really freakout. They weigh a lot less than you think (thin wall chromoly steel) and are mounted low but don't touch at sane lean angles. Actually designed fo Japanese VTR track school bikes.

VERY intresting!! Do you have any pics of the bike "whole"?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by reaper
Redman go with the T-Rex sliders, I found out the hard way that they work as they are supposed to. Plus no fairing cutting is involved. They are out of Texas, Go Cowboys!, cost about $60.00 + shipping.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=10

Good Luck
Whereas the T-Rex sliders appear to be quality pieces, I've never been a fan of this type of design. Structurally, these type of sliders transfer very high loads into the frame mounting points due to the extended moment arm ("folcrum") of the combined length & offset of the plastic slider and steel (or aluminum) bracket. Technically, aluminum frames are not designed to bear these forces and could suffer as a result. There are other similar sliders (made in Germany and England I believe) whose brackets attempt to transfer some of the forces away from the bolted connection points into the adjacent frame elements but the plastic component still creates a moment arm effect that multiplies the forces.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
As I posted earlier this year, I went down at the track and the T-Rex's did a great job of saving me a lot of significant damage. No frame damage whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM4rnjVAYns
Attached Thumbnails Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-dsc03882a.jpg   Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-dsc03889a.jpg   Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-dsc03890a.jpg  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Kevin, looks like they did a good job.

So, what I'm reading is, there are sliders out there, but not crash cages. Bummer.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Here's something different I found on the UK Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VTR-1000-FIRES...QQcmdZViewItem

They are the two black buttons directly on the fairing.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Here's something different I found on the UK Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VTR-1000-FIRES...QQcmdZViewItem

They are the two black buttons directly on the fairing.
It appears you were OK after your crash, which is good. I'm not saying the T-Rex's can't do a satisfactory job but each crash is different. The fairing bolt mount buttons are a joke structurally, as we all know the fairing brackets are little aluminum pieces. There are far better sliders available from Europe that bolt on & spread the load to the frame.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
The PO of my bike had those silly little button "sliders" installed. Just by eyeballing them you could tell any protection whatsoever would be minimal, if any! I went with T-Rex.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
All I know is they saved me some extra pain as well when the bike landed on top of my legs! No frame damage at all and this was after a violent highside which my buddy behind me thought there were 2 or 3 bikes flying around but it was just poor old Frankenhawk.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Squid

JM_13 is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys,

Let me introduce myself, I'm a french biker (==> My english is really poor...)

I guess I have something which will interest you please see the attachement.

A friend made this schematic & I use it on my VTR. It saved my 2 times on tracks...

I appologize for the metrics (in millimeters , not in inch), if you need some translations from french to english I'll do it.

I'll post my VTR and slider pictures later.

Best regards
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
plan Roulettes vtr.pdf (27.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

Bonjour

Originally Posted by JM_13
Hi Guys,

Let me introduce myself, I'm a french biker (==> My english is really poor...)

I guess I have something which will interest you please see the attachement.

A friend made this schematic & I use it on my VTR. It saved my 2 times on tracks...

I appologize for the metrics (in millimeters , not in inch), if you need some translations from french to english I'll do it.

I'll post my VTR and slider pictures later.

Best regards
Welcome to the SH Forum, it is always nice to have new blood from across the big pond. You can offer us diferent perspectives that maybe are a little more pure and wider than our cloistered "American" experience. One of my kids is a francophile and was in France this last summer. I know you guys and girls love your motocyclettes and to ride fast and far on your enchanting country roads (and crazy around Toulon, Paris, etc.).

Your slider detail appears very similar to the T-Rex slider we were discussing.

Send us some photos of your self, bike and roads around you in Var!
Attached Thumbnails Do sliders REALLY save your bike?-vtr-1.jpg  
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I've got T-Rex Sliders and hope I never need them! Easy to bolt right up, but you will have to loosen the fairing a bit to get to the bolts...
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Squid

duran is on a distinguished road
I took a low sider two weeks ago, the bike slid 20-30 feet, at some point in that the NO CUT Frame Slider I have (My camera phone is ****, so I'm not even going to bother taking a photo) came right off at some point in the crash. The rubber its self is barely scratched, so I think it happened early.

That said.

What ever it did, was pretty good, my faring is cracked, but the rest of the bike is in fine shape.

I would say that ANYTHING that helps protect your bike, for $60 USD, is worth it when you think about the OEM cost of those faring panels...