Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Coerce Rear Sets

Old 10-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson
Coerce Rear Sets

First off, since this is my 1st post, I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to whoever started this forum/site!

I have a 1998 VTR and it has been set up with the Traxion Dynamics front fork mods, 90 springs and gold valves; all stainless steel hydralic lines; and recently I finally bit the bullet and bought those Coerce rear sets you see on eBay all the time. I installed them just yesterday and already am enjoying the newer position-I don't ride with the ***** of my feet on the pegs anymore and I can shift more smoothly, except and here's my main question for the post: I already have the shifter as low as it can go without hitting the shifter rod on downshifts and I do have to move my foot a little more than I want, in order to downshift. Does anyone else have rearsets and what did you do to adjust? Or maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks again and I hope I can be an asset to this board in the future!

Oh yeah! If you are in the San Diego area, let me know!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Back Marker

Random
Re: Coerce Rear Sets

With the way that setup is pictured, the longer you make the linkage rod, the lower the shift toe pedal will go. So it looks like you're at the limit of your available adjustment.

If the part that attaches to the shifter peg (on the tranny, not on the pegs) is adjustable, you could adjust it farther backwards (towards the rear wheel) which would raise the shifter toe pedal. If it's not adjustable (keyed-only fits on one way), then your only option is to find/fabricate a shorter rod threaded at either end for the joints.

I've got the Gilles rearsets. I also had to adjust the shifter toe pedal, and ended up using NEARLY all of the available rod linkage adjustment. (I've got maybe .25" left at either end). The part that attaches to the shifter peg(on the tranny) is "keyed" with the Gilles rearsets, so I could not rotate it (it only fits on one way due to the "keying"), I would assume yours is the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson

Fixed it! The shift rod needed to be mounted on the inside of the shift shaft arm. Made all the difference in the world, and also explained why the kit came with an different exhaust mounting bolt for the left side whereas the right side kept the stock one.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson

I got my rearsets mainly for a higher up and back position, not really for ground clearance, I don't push the limits like I used to. I have 2Bros slip on cannisters that are not the high mounts.

These rearsets came with some very vague instructions, but they were easy to figure out. The only hard part was removing the swing arm bolt to get the right side set on, and it really wasn't hard but had to use a floor jack and also hoist the rear of the bike from the rafters in my garage which made me ask 2 of my friends to help and keep things in check during the "operation".
Old 10-19-2004, 11:46 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
nothing to add to the thread, just here to say welcome aboard!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Anyone got an idea on how to get LOWER pegs? I hate to admit it but my knees aren't what they used to be.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Back Marker

Random

Superbling-

I had/have the same problem. At first I wanted "lower" or "back" but NOT "higher". The closest I was able to find was the Gilles rearsets. They allow you to move the pegs BACK about 1.5"-2". This gives you more leg room, and alters the "hip/knee/ankle angle" to make it seem/feel like you've got more leg room.

I thought I posted up photos, but I see now that I didn't. I'll take some new ones this weekend and post them up to give you an idea.