Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CABLE UPGRADE FOR CLUTCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Squid

skindonor69 is on a distinguished road
CABLE UPGRADE FOR CLUTCH?

Has anyone converted their bike from hydraulic to a cable clutch?I saw a piece on ebay awhile back to do this but didn't know what the benefits would really be.I know that if you try to launch a SH off the line with a hydraulic clutch it has a violent reaction.So other than that what would be the benefit of changing it?Cables stretch,but fluid does not.Is it really worth the 200+ dollars to change it???
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
A more cost effective route would be to replace your OEM clutch and front brake lines with stainless steel. Both can be had for around $100.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Squid

skindonor69 is on a distinguished road
I agree about the steel braided lines,but can't really justify converting to a cable clutch.Just wondering what if any real benefits really are.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I don't see any point to change to a cable operated clutch. I would think that a hydraulically operated clutch would be smoother with a lighter pull. The only benefit that I can see in a cable would be lighter weight, ie; you are racing and you are trying to save every gram. JMO
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skindonor69
Has anyone converted their bike from hydraulic to a cable clutch?I saw a piece on ebay awhile back to do this but didn't know what the benefits would really be.I know that if you try to launch a SH off the line with a hydraulic clutch it has a violent reaction.So other than that what would be the benefit of changing it?Cables stretch,but fluid does not.Is it really worth the 200+ dollars to change it???
As I've not ridden one with this conversion....... I'll say.. Maybe,, but on the surface this sounds about as bad an idea and a solution for problem that does not exist as I can think of.

If your having problems with your OEM clutch action,, It's not the type of system. Rebuild the MC, and slave Cyl, add some fresh fluid, bleed the system of all air. It will be as linear as any cable actuation can be,with a smoother pull and release. The Hyd set up has plenty of travel is very controllable when in good working order. I've worked on two SH clutch systems now not including my own.

All three went from vague and hard to use to very nice and controllable after rebuild.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The reason for using a cable operated clutch on race bikes are simple... No need to worry about operating temps... plain and simple reason... the clutch is next to the engine block... not a good environment at full tilt for lap after lap...

Unless you plan to do a stint on WSB it's completely redundant to swap... SS lines and a good bleed or worst case re-build the cylinder and you are good to go...
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want to add some bling.
check out Thorsten Durbahn's cable mod for the RC51.
fits the hawk also.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Squid

duckiller is on a distinguished road
I was told that if you dump it at the track , turn around time is a lot faster with a cable repair than having to deal with a damaged hyd system .
Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
as mentioned by the original poster, the hydralic lcutch makes launching the hawk a bit harder according to the magazine article i read about. something about some clutch chatter. oh wait here it is, direct quote from the article

Drag strip launches were hindered by an oddly chattering clutch that bounced in and out when the rear wheel spun.

my guess due to it being a hydralic clutch. could be wrong.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
According to Thursten Durbahn's site, the cable clutch will reduce Clutch effort by 50%. So to answer your question, some reasons I can see for the swap is: 1. Less force required to operate clutch, 2. Ability to slip the clutch, 3. Adjustability of clutch engagement point, 4. no bleed requirement

Cons: PRICE!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I've always understood clutch effort to be more with a cable. Hmmm...

One solution might be to do something different with the clutch springs to reduce that chatter.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Has anyone researched a swap of parts from an XL1000 Varadero?
That model has a cable operated clutch.

Rex
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I will chime in with regards to the "bouncing" clutch if you launch it. Every superhawk I've had has randomly done it if I pop the clutch, including a brand new one, so it's not a matter of needing to fix or rebuild anything (with regards to factory parts anyway). I've also read about it in several places like motorcycle.com when the bike was new. I remember them dragstrip testing it and saying something about a clutch that violently locks and unlocks and it's not fun.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

The bouncing is a classic example of to light springs, another result of the VTR being a "user friendly" allround bike... Probably in combination with a bit expansion of the rubber hose (mayby?)...

The reason for a cable clutch... Ability to slip the clutch/adjust the cable, and less prone to failures of heat/crash... But I kind of doubt it would be less effort?

The reason a lot of touring bikes have a hydraulic clutch is that it's supposed to be less effort... And less maintainance in terms of sticking cable and such when doing lots of miles in all weather... Plus a hamfisted rider can't as easily destroy the clutch by slipping it out of lazyness...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
what i dont get is...there is sooo much travel on the VTRs clutch handle and yet the engagement point is much, much smaller. they could have made either the master smaller diameter or the slave bigger diameter to make the engagement point longer.

and my hand does kill after a long ride of constantly shifting with the clutch (read, in stop and go traffic). so rebuilding the slave and master will help that? i know my master is kinda starting to fall apart.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Rebuilding the master probably wont change the engagement point... But a rebuild in both end combined with new fluids makes it as light as it's supposed to be... How much of your effort comes from wear and tear is impossible to answear though...

Adding a thicker gasket on the slave moves the engagement point some... A bit ghetto but works...

It's also feasible to machine the pin inside the the clutch shorter, but then I'd recommend trying the gasket to get the right measurement first...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-05-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Clutch cables fail too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhkEodXqZ8
Old 11-05-2009, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

Ouch... That did indeed seem like a snapped cable as I kind of doubt he'd fubar it that way with his experience...

But I still maintain that anyone on a bike without a helmet deserves the scars and the pain (if they survive!)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
I think downgrade is a better description.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ I dont think you can say that...

with the Super Sport bikes getting the best the sport can offer why are they still sporting cable clutches if its inferior to the hydraulic?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
^^ I dont think you can say that...

with the Super Sport bikes getting the best the sport can offer why are they still sporting cable clutches if its inferior to the hydraulic?
It's cheaper, however it's still good enough that you cannot complain about it.
Why would you swap to something that is more prone to failure, needs more maintenance, and has no clear advantage other than slightly more feel.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
This whole thing is a non issue. I prefer cable actuated clutches, but I'm not going to spend five minutes thinking about converting my Super Hawk to one when it works fine as it is.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive ridden bikes with cable and hydralic clutches, meh i didnt really a notice, in all honesty i think i prefer the way mine feels, but as mentioend above the engagment point is a little further out and theres alot of useless clutch travel in the lever.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Ouch... That did indeed seem like a snapped cable as I kind of doubt he'd fubar it that way with his experience...

But I still maintain that anyone on a bike without a helmet deserves the scars and the pain (if they survive!)
He told me that's what happened. We used to train in the gym together and he's extremely fortunate to not have suffered any permanant effects from that-one could easily have been killed from that. If memory serves me he wasn't even performing, just announcing and he jumped on the bike. He is an amazingly talented rider.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Since someone mentioned in this thread about switching to stainless steel clutch cable, has anyone done this and is there a significant difference? I switched my front brake cables last winter along with a couple of other front brake mods and there was a huge difference. I was going to replace my clutch fluid this wonter and I was wondering if it was really beneficial to change out the cable at the same time. Or does rebuilding and new fluid help as much?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
it depends on how sensitive you are to your controls. Most of us might not notice it too much, but you might.

Assuming your bike is approaching 10 years old...like mine...replacing the lines is a good maintenance idea, and going with a stainless braided line should, just like on brakes, give you better results. Remember though, there's not the pressures that brake lines encounter. it's not like you squeeze harder to disengage the clutch harder.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Having the clutch cable snap on my previous bike, i can appreciate the benefits of a hydraulic clutch. IMHO, aside from mechanical issues any "difficulty" and weirdness in feel and actuation is can be acclimated to with practice and constant riding.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by alive226
Since someone mentioned in this thread about switching to stainless steel clutch cable, has anyone done this and is there a significant difference? I switched my front brake cables last winter along with a couple of other front brake mods and there was a huge difference. I was going to replace my clutch fluid this wonter and I was wondering if it was really beneficial to change out the cable at the same time. Or does rebuilding and new fluid help as much?
I'll just let you know now, swapping to SS lines is the equivalent of buying brand new stock lines. The benefit of ss lines is that they do not stretch as much over time.
So to answer your question, you might feel a difference, but more likely it's the fact that you bled the clutch fluid that it feels better.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I appreciate the response.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Squid

krongsak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I will chime in with regards to the "bouncing" clutch if you launch it. Every superhawk I've had has randomly done it if I pop the clutch, including a brand new one, so it's not a matter of needing to fix or rebuild anything (with regards to factory parts anyway). I've also read about it in several places like motorcycle.com when the bike was new. I remember them dragstrip testing it and saying something about a clutch that violently locks and unlocks and it's not fun.
I have experienced the same problem on my superhawk. I have replaced the oem clutch line with a steel line, bleed my clutch and replaced the master cylinder with a radial brembo that has a super light and nice feel but still experience the same bouncy behavior when trying to launch the bike.
I also have a 600 and 750 Gix, both with cable clutch and never experienced such erratic behavior when launching them

Quick Reply: CABLE UPGRADE FOR CLUTCH?