Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

BMC Race filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
BMC Race filter

Has anyone tried a BMC race air filter? Any dyno or seat of the pants results to share?

cheers
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
mikstr;

Shortly after buying my brand new VTR I installed V&H street baffle cans, bought a Dynojet kit and BMC race filter. Tried the BMC with 185f/190r jets and 180f/185r. Ran strong and seemed to pick up revs faster in the top half of the power band but ran like **** in the bottom half.

Bliping the throttle from idle in neutral it was fluffy and eratic. Would stutter and skip a beat when running below 4k rpm.

I'm guessing with larger pilot jets and a race exhaust, it might run OK down low but I didn't try 'cause 1) I noticed when holding up the BMC race filter to the light I could see through it pretty good and 2) read from Erion Racing and others that they couldn't make more power with any of the aftermarket filters.

My semi educated guess is this; If you are building a trackday/race bike with a straight through exhaust and are simply looking for more power in the top third of the power band, the BMC might work.

If you want to have a tractable streetbike not sucking in grit and dust that will last many thousands of miles, I'd skip the BMC race filter.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
thanks I was leaning along your line of thought. Although I do hoep to get some track days in in the future, I use my bike primarily as a street ride so I guess I'll stick with my current set-up.

cheers
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I have one, but haven't installed it yet..

It should go well with my scorpion (race) exhaust, once i get the custom midpipes back.. I think im running stock jetting, so that is likely to be my next and hopfully last mod of this year!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
How different is the BMC from the K&N filter?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by reaper
How different is the BMC from the K&N filter?
Depends which BMC you're asking about. I'm guessing the standard BMC is comparable to the K&N though I haven't used either one.

The BMC RACE filter is minimalist, not recommended for ongoing street use. I think it flows a lot of air but does not actually filter that air near as effectively as the "street" filters.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
thanks I was leaning along your line of thought. Although I do hoep to get some track days in in the future, I use my bike primarily as a street ride so I guess I'll stick with my current set-up.

cheers
mikstr;

A couple more thoughts. My engine is bone stock top to bottom and I've got street baffle cans. Put that together with my belief that the race filter probably doesn't filter real good for steady street use, I gave up on it.

Looking at your list of mods and the fact that you've got a Flo Commander, the BMC race might work for you. You could dial up the mixture for track days or special occasions then reinstall the street filter and dial the mixture back down again.

If my bike had your mods I'd probably give it a try.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Oops, i didnt catch the race filter part.. I'm pretty sure mine the normal one..

Can someone tell me more about a Flo Comander please! I think that i'd rather have one of those than doing a jet kit..
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
mikstr;

My semi educated guess is this; If you are building a trackday/race bike with a straight through exhaust and are simply looking for more power in the top third of the power band, the BMC might work.

If you want to have a tractable streetbike not sucking in grit and dust that will last many thousands of miles, I'd skip the BMC race filter.
are you saying that foam bmc and similar oil treated filters that operate in dirty, dusty, muddy, and many adverse conditions and are being used worldwide in many and varied applications, do not work adequately? I would think that years upon years of street duty is nothing comparable to the off road conditions encountered in just one race where you're sucking everything from the bikes in front of you at maximum throttle.

you may be absolutly correct, but this doesn't seem plausible to me.

thanks, nathan
Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
are you saying that foam bmc and similar oil treated filters that operate in dirty, dusty, muddy, and many adverse conditions and are being used worldwide in many and varied applications, do not work adequately? I would think that years upon years of street duty is nothing comparable to the off road conditions encountered in just one race where you're sucking everything from the bikes in front of you at maximum throttle.

you may be absolutly correct, but this doesn't seem plausible to me.

thanks, nathan
BMC makes two different filters for the VTR and many other bikes.

The BMC RACE FILTER isn't foam. It's a zigzag wire mesh with a very thin layer of fiber. If you hold it up to the light you can see through it pretty good. BMC recommends it for race use only, not for sustained street use.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
BMC makes two different filters for the VTR and many other bikes.

The BMC RACE FILTER isn't foam. It's a zigzag wire mesh with a very thin layer of fiber. If you hold it up to the light you can see through it pretty good. BMC recommends it for race use only, not for sustained street use.
that's good to hear because I have foam filters in both my bikes and thought they would protect the engine as good or better than others, but was wondering after i read your comments.

thanks, nathan.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
i've ran a bmc race for the last 2 years no issues. after jetting runs excellent.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by andy9743
i've ran a bmc race for the last 2 years no issues. after jetting runs excellent.
Yeah, I have no idea how many miles before the "race only" filter would cause problems, or if it ever would.

What exhaust and jetting are you running with it, Andy?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i now have a k&n filter in my hawk and a jet kit. it runs great no stummbles down low and runs great up high. but im going to be changing to stock filter because of some recent photos ive seen of the inside of motors,running k&n filters. they are just scary.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Yeah, I have no idea how many miles before the "race only" filter would cause problems, or if it ever would.

What exhaust and jetting are you running with it, Andy?

i have half length remus Ti high mounts...the jetting let me dig around for my kit i know that wrote it down and stowed it in there. it pulls hard bottom to top i'm very happy with it.