Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
View Poll Results: Front end?
RC51
54.29%
8.57%
17.14%
Stock
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Best Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Front End?

I've read what people have done, but I'm still wondering what is the best/ best value/ easy to obtain.
I am looking to replace the complete front end of my newly (wrecked) purchaced Hawk. I'm talking the whole front end, just to clarify. From the grips to the road. Let me know what you think.
Thanks a lot.

Please don't flame me too bad as this is my first post.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
Why not use a 2005 -600RR front end radial mount brakes, 3 way adjustable forks. Length migh tbe a issue though.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Front End?

Your poll lacks two important options:

1) F4(i)
2) reworked stock (racetech, etc)
Old 09-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
Your poll lacks two important options:

1) F4(i)
2) reworked stock (racetech, etc)
+1 on the reworked stock bits.

I had Racetech springs put into my SHawk forks, and it made a world of difference. I had Racetech springs and the Gold Valves put into my GSXR, and wish I had put the Gold Valves into the SHawk.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
racetach springs and gold valves is what I have. As good as it is I think the RC legs would offer more adjustment - possibly the 929/954 legs too

If I didnt have any forks thats where I'd look.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Squid

vtromey

got a whole 929 front end sitting in the garage, just lookin at handlebar options. i'm a newb too and did some research of my own, still learning. . . if i didn't have to replace my front end cause i twisted the forks on a minor dump then i'd consider upping the springs and valves, maybe a fork brace (if there's one for the VTR). but i'm excited with the 929 front end. only heard good things about em! it's the huge a$$ brakes too!

not tryin to jack your thread but, for those with 929 front ends: what handle bar set ups are ya'll using?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Squid

vtromey
anyone got measurements of the stock VTR's front end from tip of fork to centre of axle? unsprung length? if you have one not on the bike? i measured the 929 i just picked up at approx 28 inches from tip to axle. i'd like to measure mine on the bike but i need two hands to lift the front end so i can get an unsprung measurement.

i tried measuring the VTR's with the bike just sitting there and got approx 29 inches from tip of fork to axle. BUT the fork comes up past the upper clamp about and inch and a bit while the 929's are flush with the clamp (clip ons mount under). but that's with the bike weighted, pretty close no? thet 929 is set pretty stiff and it looks like it won't sink much with some weight. maybe a good baseline would be to compare height from tip of steering head to axle . . .
on goes the learning . . . .
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The stock set-up measures 30.5" from tip of the forks to the center of the axel off the bike, this doesn't include the caps. This is why I went with heli-bars under the upper triple. Keep in mind that the Superhawk is very conservative as far as angle. My front end is a mix match front end, (which vtromey already knows about), but I do not suggest the way I went.

Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy with the results but it was a lot of work to get it all together. I have 954 lower triple, 929 upper triple, 929 Helibars, Gsxr 1000 forks and brakes, zx12r axle and modded RC51 wheel and rotors. I highly recomend buying everything either together or at least for the same thing. I went with the Gsxr forks because I like the manufacture better than what honda uses and I like the brake calipers as well,(although both the honda brakes are exellent as well).

As far as upgrading the stock forks, yes this will improve the front end. But it won't have the adjustability and will never come close to the extra stiffness you get from USD forks and the beefier triples. The forks on the stock front end are 41mm all the way through the triples. While the USD forks are 50mm through the top and 53mm through the lower. The superhawk triples look like toys compared to the 954/929 RC51 triples.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Back Marker

First off..... thank you all very much for the replies.

There are valid reasons to leave F4i and Race Tech worked front ends off the list.
Reason one: The stock forks I have are FUBAR. Not even Race Tech can save them.
Reason two: F4i is small and light whereas the Hawk is big and heavy (and I am 210 lbs).
Reason three: I love the look of the inverted forks (very aggressive).
Old 09-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Back Marker

Just out of curiosity, what could one expect to pay for a bolt on (complete) front end. I was quoted $1250.00 with no fender (954).
Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

$600 - $900 cdn
Old 09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
MotoGP

That's a bit high, you can do better just keep your eyes open. I did it piece by piece but I don't think I paid more than $500 american. You don't need the controls either you can still use the VTR controls.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:25 PM
SuperSport

$500 u.s. is $600 cdn lol
Old 09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Squid

vtromey

yep, i'm really happy with my $850 CAN purchase for the whole front end! i know i could've been more patient and watched e-bay. but i figured each part would be commin from different sellers, each part would have to be shipped (that may or may not hit me for taxes if it crosses the border), i'm sure i'll find parts in the US so i gotta pay US, then i gotta trust that each transaction is safe, and that ALL the parts get in time. so, by the time you add all that (may or may not be a headache) i'm looking at something very close to what i paid in CAN $. :wink: guess if you can get the whole shebang on ebay then go for it!

hey SH22, so how are the heli bars working?! you satisfied?! my mechanic was able to track down a set of 50mm heli bars but i'm wondering if they will rise up high enough. i'm thinking that they make different 50mm heli bars with different heights. i'm hoping these will do the trick! what's the measurement of your heli bars from the bottom of the clamp to where the bar starts?

yep, i'm back with more questions!!! teee heee!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

I know North, I meant that $1250.00 was too high. I figured that was about what the exchange was approx. I don't work at a bank though.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:22 PM
MotoGP

Believe it or not I still haven't put them on yet! I finally worked all my front wheel issues out with a RC51 wheel and rotors . So I just installed the GSXR calipers and spaced the front wheel correctly. I went to put on my matching 900rr rear rim and guess what? Rim number four off ebay,(1,never got 2,was bent 3,I sold because seller of #2 didn't contact me until I already won #3) wasn't a 900rr rim it was a CBR F3 rim totally useless!!! So anyway I was waiting to get the front wheel done before I put the Helibars on. Now I have two different wheels on there and I'll be putting the bars on tonight or tommorow. I'll post a pic. when I'm done.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SNGPerformance";p=&quot

There are valid reasons to leave F4i and Race Tech worked front ends off the list.
Reason one: The stock forks I have are FUBAR. Not even Race Tech can save them.
Reason two: F4i is small and light whereas the Hawk is big and heavy (and I am 210 lbs).
Reason one: that's no reason to leave well respected companies such as racetech or others out of a poll.

Reason two: The f4i, 929, and 954 all weigh the same (with about 5lbs of each other).
Old 09-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. We can all learn a little more.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

Just got the Helibars on vtromey. I have to say handling is much better with the forks flush to the upper triple. However the bars don't go as high as I expected, I had to do some fanageling to get evrything to clear the fairing.
The throttle had to be angled so that the cables point towards the front of the bike instead of straight down. Because of this I had to heat and bend slightly the cable runners that go into the housing so the brake lever wouldn't hit and it could clear the fairing. And I mean it just clears the fairing. I actually like the new "feel" the Helibars don't angle down as much and they're longer. But if you like the position of the vtr bars I would go with the RC51 front end so you can mount the bars on top. If you like a slightly more agressive feel than go with the 929 and Helibars.

Oh and there's even less vibration with the Helibars. Overall very happy with the mutant front end but if I did it all over I might have gone with RC51. Not that I think it would be any better, just a hell of a lot easier. Oh yeah I'll post pics when my 5th 900RR wheel off of ebay comes. That is if it is a 900RR wheel and it's straight.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:52 PM
SuperSport

Right now I'm going with a full Racetech and Superbrace. When its all done I'll let you know how I like it compared to stock.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

I sold off my stock front end and bought a 929/954 setup, problem is I've lost some steering radius , so I cut off the fork stops, well now I'm hitting my radiator hose and it still does'nt seem like I got that much more steering. Anyone got any suggestions besides the obvious(putting it back to stock). I also sold off my fairing cause I'm goin naked with it(the bike not me)(whew bad visual)
I like the look of the bigger forks so I'd like to get this solved or figure out if its really a problem or me just bein paranoid.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 AM
MotoGP

Who's that behind you, is someone peeking through your window? Is the goverment after you?
Just kidding but the steering radius that you lost really isn't that much. I have the 929/954 triples on mine and it really has not been an issue. The only time you'll notice it is when your pushing it around the garage or something of that nature. Otherwise, on the road you'll never even notice what your missing. The benefits outwiegh the the downside by a mile and there is no other way to fix it. Even the RC51 triples will hit there, it's because of the overly conservative angle of the VTR triples.

Oh by the way, I need to sell my front end as well. What did you end up getting for yours and where did you get rid of it? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Squid

vtromey

hey SH22, gotta hand it to you and all the rest of the guys that have the time and knowledge to put stuff like this together! anyway, glad you're happy with the 929 heli bars, despite all the fenagaling and problem solving you've had to put up with. at least you can deal with it, i can't!! sooo, at least i know the 929 helibar will work, somewhat.

i might be able to get a 50mm heli bar but from a gsxr (fits 750 or 1000) for cheap. so here's the deal, you said you barely just fit the 929 helibars and that's with jimmying things up. can't we can try any heli bar made for any bike as long as it's 50mm and mounts under the tripple (for 929)? called helibar and found out they have 50mm bars for 929, 954, R1, TL 1000, GSXR 750/1000, and Ducati 800/1000 SS (mounts on top). all with slightly different dimensions. some higher/wider/furtherback.

we may be able to get a different heli bar that should just mount straight on w/o fenagaling. the dimensions i got from the site is relative to the stock dimensions for each bike. so it's tough to compare apples to pears.

-------------taller ---------- rearward --------- wider
929-------- 1 1/4"---------- 1 1/2"-------------- 2"
954---------1 1/2"---------- 1 1/2"-------------- 2"
R1 --------- 1 5/8 "------------1"--------------- 3/4"
TL1000-----1 3/4"-------------1"---------------- 2"
GSXR------ 1 1/2" ----------- 1"--------------- 1 1/2"

(all fit on 50mm forks)

guess we're only really concerened about how much taller the heli bars are so that we can clear the fairing. these are all relative to the stock bars. note the heli bar for the 954 is actually taller than on the 929's (i'm under the impression that fork dimensions are identical between the two, maybe the fairing on the 954 comes up a tad higher).

now the rearwardnes and wideness (makin up terms here) are specific to each bikes dimensions/ergonomics. is it safe to assume that these shouldn't affect handling and ride ergos that much? could we try a heli bar from a gsxr on 929 forks? as long as it fits right?

anyway, SH22, you've done the fenagling on the 929 heli bars, and you just barely cleared the fairing. would that tiny bit of extra length say from a gsxr heli bar make a difference?

jeeze, yah i know, soo much wordage to save a few milimeters!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Squid

vtromey
so, forget some of my assumptions about heli bar heights relative to stock. upon visual inspection of the pics on the helibar website, it "looks" as if the the bars for the TL 1000 have the highest rise.

i.e. compare this TL1000 heli bar
http://www.helibars.com/pics/suzuki/tl1000s-a.html

with an R1's helibar
http://www.helibars.com/pics/yamaha/r1-b.html

from the pics, i can't get a visual on the 929's and 954's. the GSXR heli bar has a tiny bit of a rise, don't know how it compares to the 929's, if it's higher or lower . . .

here's the GSXR's
http://www.helibars.com/pics/suzuki/gsxr1000-750.html

here's the 929's, it's too dark, tough to compare it with the GSXR's
http://www.helibars.com/pics/honda/cbr929.html

again, SH22, lookin at the TL's heli bar, do you think this would work better? i'm talkin about just a tad more height which could potentially make a world of a difference. oh yah, all the bar widths/thicknesses are all the same right?

can't wait to see your pics!
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Back Marker

Well, I just won 954 forks on eBay. What tapered roller bearings do I need? Does any one know of a good price on a handle bar conversion. Going naked and I really like the look of handle bars over clip ons. Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Squid

Rassie
Stock fork not bad at all.

I have been using my VTR as a dedicated track bike for the last 2 years and I am riding in the top half of the I group on any given day. I have stiffer springs in there and have dropped the front about 12MM. I have also added a steering damper from a GSXR750 to calm down the front exiting corners on full throttle. I have no problem with this front end other than on, really and I mean rear end of the ground, hard braking when it will have a weird vibration as it bottoms out, which I just ignore. I think the stock setup which I am running works great unless you are in an advanced group track days or full blown racing.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
+1 on the stock forks. I find the front end on the Hawk surprisingly good, especially in light of all the negative comments around here. On a twisty canyon road, I can ride my 'Hawk every bit as fast as my 954. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Rassie
I have been using my VTR as a dedicated track bike for the last 2 years and I am riding in the top half of the I group on any given day. I have stiffer springs in there and have dropped the front about 12MM. I have also added a steering damper from a GSXR750 to calm down the front exiting corners on full throttle. I have no problem with this front end other than on, really and I mean rear end of the ground, hard braking when it will have a weird vibration as it bottoms out, which I just ignore. I think the stock setup which I am running works great unless you are in an advanced group track days or full blown racing.
That's the main reason I did my front end, that feeling isn't really confidence inspiring and I couldn't ignore it. My front end doesn't bottom ever anymore and there's NO hard braking vibes.
I'm not disbuting that you can ride it fast in stock form but I do KNOW it's easier to ride it fast with a better front end and I have no need for a damper. For referance I also ride in the front of intermediate sometimes mid-pack in advance.

Quick Reply: Best Front End?