SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   anyone go from VFR bars to superbike bars (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/anyone-go-vfr-bars-superbike-bars-20791/)

andy9743 11-19-2009 01:09 PM

anyone go from VFR bars to superbike bars

i'm looking to do this over the winter maybe...anyone go from vfr bars to the superbike bars and care to comment on the differences? likes? dislikes?

thanks guys

FL02SupaHawk996 11-19-2009 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried Heli bars before adding superbike bars and the Helis were better than stock, but IMHO as far as comfort goes you'll have a hard time beating SBBs.

Crashrat 11-19-2009 04:13 PM

I've looked back in the archives where folks mention trimming the fairing to mount the Superbike bars... Well, I've found that if you mount 90s Nighthawk 750 top yokes -- the top of the triple tree, that is -- you can run bars without drilling the stock unit. The Nighthawk has standard three-inch risers.

Anyhow... FL02SupaHawk996, how much did you trim on the fairing. I can't tell by the attached picture...I'm this close --><-- to going with a bar conversion. Thanks -- R.

skokievtr 11-19-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crashrat (Post 243519)
I've looked back in the archives where folks mention trimming the fairing to mount the Superbike bars... Well, I've found that if you mount 90s Nighthawk 750 top yokes -- the top of the triple tree, that is -- you can run bars without drilling the stock unit. The Nighthawk has standard three-inch risers.

Anyhow... FL02SupaHawk996, how much did you trim on the fairing. I can't tell by the attached picture...I'm this close --><-- to going with a bar conversion. Thanks -- R.

I can't believe the Nighthawk tubes are 41mm, can anyone verify?

Flo, whose risers did you use again, TAG?

bjorn toulouse 11-19-2009 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 243532)

According to the Bike Bandit OEM parts site, the VTR1000 Superhawk and the CB750 Nighthawk use the same fork seal kit.
That would indicate that the fork tubes are the same O.D.

Rex

inderocker 11-19-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 243532)

lot's of budget bikes have 41mm forks, Hawk GT, VT600, CB750, etc. I'd be more amazed that they had the same offset & width.

superbeater 11-19-2009 09:54 PM

I'm going to try SSB bars this winter. I have a VTR upper tripled drilled and Suzuki SV650 risers installed. Haven't put them on the bike yet. I'm going to remove the fairing and run a headlight setup very similar to the Triumph speed triple. I like the Hawk the way it is but I like naked bikes too. This way I can have both.

Crashrat 11-20-2009 05:01 AM

I can confirm the Nighthawk's top yoke will work -- I bought one off Ebay for $15. I haven't installed it yet (we're between a move and I don't want to start something I can't finish) but it looks like an easy mod. The holes where the risers mount are rubberized, so it should soak up some vibration, too.

I don't think there's any issue with just drilling the stock triple tree, but the Nighthawk is "webbed" around the hole to increase strength. The risers look to be three inches and are round and more chopperish somehow. I'm sure others can be used.

I saw this mod mentioned here in a thread that died off, then googled it and found a few folks who had used the Nighthawk yoke on VFRs, too.

So, anyhow, anyone have detailed pictures of the trim?

Crashrat 11-20-2009 05:51 AM

Ah, I stand corrected. I just pulled off my clip ons and tested the Nighthawk's yoke. The forks are fine, but the bottom hole doesn't line up. I suppose you could lay it over the VTR's true triple to mount bars. It would look a bit off, but the real problem would be access to the ignition... And it would look strange.

Hm. Here are some pictures:

http://www.threeriverssleddogs.com/yoke%20001.JPG
http://www.threeriverssleddogs.com/yoke%20002.JPG

raptorrider 11-20-2009 07:18 AM

superbike bar conversion

Did conversion straight from stock clip-ons to superbike bar. Bought 2" angled risers from rsiracing.com, had a machine shop drill the stock triple tree for me. and mounted the bars in one afternoon. Would recommend using 30 degree angled riser or you will have clearance issues with fork tensioners. The stock cables were just barely long enough with flat bars and have to be re-routed. The riding position is still in a slight lean forward and much more comfortable. I did not feel a need to modify fairing as the bars have to be turned to stop before they touch fairing. Look for superblings superbike bar conversion for execellent info and pics.

sweetriden76 12-26-2009 07:40 AM

I just bought some tag metals dirtbike bars that Im gonna put on my hawk, not sure what risers I'll get a good deal on yeah, hopefully stock stuff will reach if not I'll replace it, brake line looks like the only possible issue at the moment, then I'll figure out something for the fairing, I'll post pics when I get it done, bikes getting a whole re-style after a slow speed drop...a few scuffs is a good enough reason to have the whole thing repainted...