Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Aftermarket headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Squid

Carnage
Aftermarket headers

I'm currently on a search for light weight headers for my hawk. I've been looking around and so far I haven't found any aftermarket headers. I'm assuming titanium would be the lightest material for this purpose. Can anybody give me some insight on this one?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
These are getting harder and harder to find because they just don't make a lot of money on parts for the superhawk. Try to ask RCVTR he had a full system until he wrecked his beautiful bike, I think he's getting replacement cans and then selling.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Aftermarket headers

two bros used to makethem, but I am pretty sure they were stainless steel.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Squid

VTR69

I think Akrapovic still makes a full system of about $ 1300. Moriwaki might still make you one too but it'll probably be special order and a wait. You gotta change your oil pan out for theirs too, another cost. One of the posters here is in Japan , I think. Signs in as Simonkobe-he might have some info. Keep us posted. Cheers.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Squid

Carnage

Thanks for the info so far, but I'd like to re-specify that it's light weight headers that I'm looking for. Also I don't need a full system, just the headers. The stock exhaust system is heavy and dropping any unneeded weight is very beneficial. I've tried looking up Moriwaki but I can't actually find any place that sells that brand. Where would I go online to find Moriwaki's stuff? Another thing I don't want to have to change out an oil pan just for new headers.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
MotoGP

You don't have to re-specify.....unfortunately alot of aftermarket headers don't match up to the slip-ons. So if you do find one make sure you ask first. I just bought one on Ebay and the mid pipes were nothing like all the slip on mid pipes because the header pipe wasn't like the original.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

I'm sorry did I sound like a wise *** in that last post......well I guess that's because I am a wise ***.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Squid

Carnage

Thanks for that info. I think I'll have to start looking into just making my own headers if I can find titanium pipe and such.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:24 PM
MotoGP

The only hard part would be the rear exhaust. there are some tight bends in that part under the bike. Look for a place that does mandrel bending, it doesn't put the kink in the pipe that a regular bending machine does.
Good luck!
Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Squid

Carnage

I have access to a hydraulic pipe bender and I've never seen it put a kink in any of the pipes that we've put in it before. Isn't mandrel bending done by a machine that pulls the pipe in with a motor?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

By hydraulic do you mean it bends it with water or it's run by hydraulics? When I say kinks I mean the squaring of the pipe caused by the chucks that the bending machines use. I haven't bent any pipes in about 10 years so things could be different now. You want the pipe to be as round as possible to keep flo smooth but by the looks of most pipes you don't need to be too overly worried it just works "better" when it's smooth bends.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Squid

Carnage

By hydraulic I mean it has hydraulic fluid in it pressing the bender up. It's the same concept as a hydraulic bottle jack. It has three points that the pipe touches and they're all round.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
MotoGP

Too bad... the water benders are supposed to be the best. If you've got free access to it then don't worry about it, the mandrel bending isn't cheap and if you look at the stock pipe Honda obviously didn't care about the gases bouncing aroud.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Squid

Carnage

True about the stock headers. I've already took the drumel tool to the small opening at the right side can connection point. That's another reason why I want to replace the headers, I'm not sure if any other points in them are cutting off exhaust flow in the same way. When you say water benders are you refering to the hydra-flo method like Akrapovic I believe uses for there full systems?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

Yep, it uses pressurized water to bend the pipe, cool and smooth but majorly expensive!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:58 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Try Revolution Racing in the UK for Moriwaki stuff. I THINK they are a stockist.

Moriwaki make a Ti system for street use that does not require a modified sump.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Squid

VTR69

The US distributor for Moriwaki is www.bigvalleyhonda.com .
Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

if you are worried about weight, thin walled stainless steel is very close in weight compared to Ti for a header.
I had a Hindle Ti can with a thin walled stainless steel header(on my GSXR), and it weighed 8lbs total.
Muzzy's 4-2-1 full Ti system was 7lbs.

1 lb is not enough to worry about, and stainless is much cheaper than Ti.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Squid

Carnage

Not true, every little bit of weight you can take off helps. It's the power to weight ratio. If you could find a car with the same exact power out put as your VTR and you raced it, you'd shoot down the track much faster then it. It's the same reason a sport bike can fly off the line much faster then a high performance car.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
I have the Two Bros headers with Staintune high mounts. They work fine together. The Two bros header is larger in diameter than stock and lighter (Can't remember exactly how much lighter or bigger).

Regarding Vitter's post... IMO, one pound isn't going to make much difference after all the VTR is not a race bike. It's admirable that you want to make it lighter, however, maybe your efforts would be better spent on suspension or something else. Personally I could go on a diet and loose more weight than the entire exhaust...

Take this comment just as an oppinion nothing more... It is YOUR time and YOUR money.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Whilst the difference in weight between the Moriwaki Ti system I have and the stocker is huge, this weight is very low on the bike, and will make little difference in handling in my opinion.

If you are on a weight hunt, I would look at components higher on the motorcyle, as these will have a greater effect for you time and money.

Of course if you have already done everything else, then why not?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Squid

Carnage

I'm not worried about handling, do you guys not understand the concept of power to weight ratio? Think about this, I have a buddy that was able to take just over 100 pounds off his bike by removing useless weight and switching out to lighter parts. His bike is insanely fast off the line compared to what it was stock. Just imagine going on a run one day and then the next day you go on a run with a 100 pound back pack on. It's harder for you to get going. It's the same thing with an engine.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

"power to weight ratio"....huh?

Seems you may be onto something here

Old 04-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Carnage";p=&quot
Not true, every little bit of weight you can take off helps. It's the power to weight ratio. If you could find a car with the same exact power out put as your VTR and you raced it, you'd shoot down the track much faster then it. It's the same reason a sport bike can fly off the line much faster then a high performance car.
so, you are saying with one pound extra your VTR will weigh as much a s a car?
A VTR will weigh close to 485 with a full tank, if you reduce that weight by 9 or 10 lbs with an aftermarket exhaust, YOU will never notice the difference, and if you think you could you should be watching Valentino Rossi in your rear-view.

you would be better off selling your VTR and buying a GSXR1000/R1/CBR1000RR/ZX10.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Carnage";p=&quot
I'm not worried about handling, do you guys not understand the concept of power to weight ratio? Think about this, I have a buddy that was able to take just over 100 pounds off his bike by removing useless weight and switching out to lighter parts. His bike is insanely fast off the line compared to what it was stock. Just imagine going on a run one day and then the next day you go on a run with a 100 pound back pack on. It's harder for you to get going. It's the same thing with an engine.
what kind of bike did he have?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

Wonder what the cost/pound was too? Weight can be shed but titanium and carbon fiber bits tend to be expensive. It would likely be A LOT cheaper to simply sell the VTR and purchase a late-model super sport I-4 such as the ZX, et al.

Also, it is cheaper (and better for you) to cut back on the cheeseburgers if you are serious about losing weight

Mikstr
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
Also, it is cheaper (and better for you) to cut back on the cheeseburgers if you are serious about losing weight
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

Going faster is more about improving the rider than the bike anyway.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

I am touched!

Mikstr
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

It does appear that the search for a lighter bike is in the rational of short straight line acceleration...like in a 1/4 mile run.

Considering that diets are short lived and stressful, the fastest way to over come the one pound weight difference would be to make your run with less fuel in the tank. Experimentation will be needed to ensure you have just enough to make it 1/4 mile then use a recovery vehicle to bring you back to the pit. You may find you save more than a pound.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Squid

Carnage

I'm sorry I wasted time out of my life to try and explain the power to weight ratio concept to you guys. I think it's rediculous that you guys think you need to insult me when you don't even know me.

On that attempt on a personal attack by mikstr with the cheese burger comment, I'm 23 years old 6'2" tall 180lbs. at 11% body fat and I can run two miles in 9 minutes and 57 seconds. So unless you expect me to be a competition body builder you need to keep your comments to yourself.

Vitter you asked what kind of bike my buddy has, it's a "YZF-R1 LE".

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headers