Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2002 GSXR Question...Hydraulic Engineer Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Squid

CEDavisJr is on a distinguished road
Question 2002 GSXR Question...Hydraulic Engineer Out There?

Thanks to the forum, I bought an '02 GSXR brake system on eBay and decided to take a progressive approach and test in steps to determine what I prefered.
  • Step 1: Put on GSXR Calipers with used pads, bleed & test
  • Step 2: Add SS lines & new EBC HH pads, bleed & test
  • Step 3: Add GSXR Master Cylinder, bleed & test

After I got to step one, I noticed the intial bite was about the same as the two pot OEM Calipers, but as I increased forward speed and lever pressure of the six pot GSXR calipers w/ VTR master and rubber hoses - the braking got progressively potent. I thought I could progress to a stoppie, but stopped short.

My next step (2) is to change out the pads and add the stainless lines. I'm hoping for a little more bite and smoother progression in braking.

My question is "what will the GSXR Master add to the overall system as a final step?" My assumption is that total braking force will change little, but initial bite will improve dramatically and overall lever pressure will decrease.

Can someone confirm or refute this assumption?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Great info... keep us posted with the results.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Squid

Thumbs up Update on GXSR Brakes

Well, I went to step 2...applied new EBC HH pads and Galfer SS lines.

Turns out the intial bite issue was probably the old pads which I bought with the GSXR calipers, MC and Lines. Now the braking is above OEM from the get go and quickly progresses to stoppie force.

The only issue is that the shop mounted the lines incorrectly (didn't follow Galfer's directions) and so we had a bommerrang vist to remount and bleed the lines.

I'm going on some extended testing this weekend, but based on the progress noted in Step 2, I don't think I'm going to install the GSXR MC.

Brakes are amazing already.

More updates later...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Very interesting!

I read your first post and it sounded like a great upgrade to the Super Hawk. I wondered at the time what size GSXR you pulled the hardware off of. I guess it stands to reason that you used the liter machine hardware but is it, in fact? I appreciate you posting your recent results because I wanted to go back to your original post to seee if you specified the size of the donor but didn't take the time to find it. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
im also curious

i have a guy locally selling some calipers from an 05 gsx-r 1000

would they work also?

what years do work?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
05 GSXR calipers won't work since they're radial mount. The overall consensus among industry journalists as well as racers is that the 4 pot Nissin calipers as used on the RC51, 929, 954, etc. are superior to the 6 pot calipers used on the 01 and 02 GSXR; the RC51, 929 and, especially the 954 consistently received rave reviews for their great brakes.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
the RC51, 929 and, especially the 954 consistently received rave reviews for their great brakes.
which of these will mount up with little to no modification?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
SuperBike

The 4 piston Nissin calipers used on the F4i, 919, RC51, 929, 954 have varying piston sizes, but all will bolt up with a little grinding on the caliper to clear the mounting bracket on the Hawk fork; other than color (some are black) they are externally identical.
If you search the archives you will find several threads on this topic, including one with clear pictures of what needs to be ground off the caliper to make it fit. If you have one in hand it's pretty obvious where and how much needs to be removed. I have F4i calipers and master cylinder on my Hawk, and while it's probably not quite as good as the 954 setup it's much better than the stock Hawk brakes. I think it took me less than half an hour to grind both calipers.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Squid

What Calipers did I use?

2002 1000 GSXR, gold six pot. Direct bolt up. No grinding.

Test report next week.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:18 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CEDavisJr
2002 1000 GSXR, gold six pot. Direct bolt up. No grinding.

Test report next week.
I'm sure they work well. I just prefer the look of the 4 pot Nissins. The grinding is pretty much a non-issue for me.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The 954 calipers have received a good report from someone I know that has used them. No M/C swap was done, just the calipers.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Squid

Stopping at Stage Two - OEM M/C & SS

Took test ride of 300 miles this weekend through mid-Missouri.

Braking into corner felt very confident. Overall very good feel, perhaps 2x or more OEM braking power. Came over a hill and saw a John Deere and dog crossing the road. Apparently the farmer owns land on both sides. Went into panic stop and the front brake hustled down in a big hurry without hoisting the rear wheel in the air. very nice.

So I'm not going to stage 3 (changing out M/C) and staying with SS lines, 2002 1000 GSXR calipers and new EBC HH pads.

The only downside is that I thought I noticed a small amount of front fork flex in heavy braking. Maybe I should get a brace.

Thanks for everyones comments and ideas.

Chuck
Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

This sounds like a really good mod for the VTR. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm starting to print the threads that I like for my bike. This way I don't have to go looking for them in the archives. Your mod is going into the file.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally Posted by CEDavisJr
Took test ride of 300 miles this weekend through mid-Missouri.

Braking into corner felt very confident. Overall very good feel, perhaps 2x or more OEM braking power. Came over a hill and saw a John Deere and dog crossing the road. Apparently the farmer owns land on both sides. Went into panic stop and the front brake hustled down in a big hurry without hoisting the rear wheel in the air. very nice.

So I'm not going to stage 3 (changing out M/C) and staying with SS lines, 2002 1000 GSXR calipers and new EBC HH pads.

The only downside is that I thought I noticed a small amount of front fork flex in heavy braking. Maybe I should get a brace.

Thanks for everyones comments and ideas.

Chuck
sounds like you need an rc51 fork
Old 10-05-2006, 02:16 PM
MotoGP

CE there is an 02 GSXR caliper on ebay. What should I expect to pay for this? It's in Canada so shipping might be a little steep but I have no idea of what a fair price is for the caliper.