SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Where do I begin??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/where-do-i-begin-21840/)

NakedOne 03-20-2010 09:17 AM

Kai, I try to tell my wife about the my bike and she gives me the same response. LOL! All I can do is stare at it now cause there is all kinds of snow on the ground. What other mods have you all done?? I need all kinds of ideas.

poppazuti 03-24-2010 11:35 PM

Update? What have you decided to do so far?

luis saleiro 03-25-2010 04:20 AM

Hi,
I´ve been reading with all the attention cause i´m in the same kind of obsession as you are.
I´m into turning my 97 vtr to naked with a fat bar and keeping the cluster (it´s important to me to keep it). I recon this is a problem already cause the cluster is a big far from the bike front and might turned a bit uggly.
This brings a doubht with the headlight, and what kind of it will be. Single, dual or with a windscreen.
Personnaly i love the look of the speed triple with the dual headlight, but its a bit expensive and hard to put together with the cluster, as well as hidding the stock wires.
It´s a hard job if you want to get it nice.
Keep the news coming, i´m looking forward to see some pictures.

crazy1 03-25-2010 05:01 PM

another vote for the trail tech vapor
had this one on 3 bikes before i had to let it go with one of em.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3929/nt650.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3929/nt650.jpg

NakedOne 03-26-2010 07:37 PM

Well i havent got around to doing anything yet due to the late winter snow. I will post before pics as well as after pics of my naked project. I think im gonna just fab up a mounting bracket for the speedo and get some headlight mounting brackets and go from there. I was looking at the harness and there is a lot of extra length to the headlight which may be a problem to make it a clean look. As it is I will keep the posts updated and hopefully some pics as well. Any ideas on how to clean up the harness?

poppazuti 03-26-2010 11:06 PM

It will require a fair amount of trimming and the remainder can go inside the headlight bucket. Still working on mine, though. I'll let you know what I figure out.

NakedOne 03-26-2010 11:25 PM

Cool, any info will help and if for some reason I can help with what im doing I will.

^^^Do you have pics of your project?

kai ju 03-27-2010 12:12 AM

My excess harness is coiled up behind the steering head area and secured to the crossbrace in front of the airbox. Just make sure that it can't move to block the snorkel for the airbox.
The drawback was that I had to lengthen the gauge harness, but everything else ended up very clean and tidy.

Kai Ju

NakedOne 03-27-2010 08:31 AM

Kai,
what headlight brackets did you use to mount your single?

poppazuti 03-28-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 259487)
Cool, any info will help and if for some reason I can help with what im doing I will.

^^^Do you have pics of your project?

Two in my profile. I've been meaning to get some more and upload them, just short on time.

NakedOne 03-28-2010 10:38 PM

Nice Poppa, what exhaust do you have on there? How is the progress on the headlight brackets?

poppazuti 03-29-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 259730)
Nice Poppa, what exhaust do you have on there? How is the progress on the headlight brackets?

The exhaust is/was a Jardine rt1 highmount. I shortened the cans 6" and cut the midpipe flange off the left side and had a hole cut on the right midpipe and welded on to it (done at local exhaust shop for $90). A friend chopped off and capped the left header. I actually wanted the cans to sit closer to each other but with passenger footpegs on the spacing is perfect, so I'm really happy with the end product.
The headlight brackets should be done this week. My buddy picked up some scrap pieces of aluminum at work and just needs to weld them on.
Truth be told, that should have been my first piece of advice...if you're not good at welding or metal fabrication, make friends with someone who is. Between my Jeep and bike my friend has saved me so much money. :cool:

NakedOne 03-31-2010 11:20 AM

So last night was my first night ride and my current headlight situation sucks. What can i do to make my lighting brighter?

lazn 03-31-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 260028)
So last night was my first night ride and my current headlight situation sucks. What can i do to make my lighting brighter?

Relay mod, better bulb, or go all out and HID conversion.

poppazuti 03-31-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 260028)

+1 on better bulb. I tried the sylvania silverstars on my stock setup with good results. If you're planning on going with another headlight you could bite the bullet and save your $ until you know exactly what your plans are. Or buy the lights in a pair and use them on any h4 setup you may have on a car if you decide to go with another setup on the bike.

lazn 03-31-2010 02:40 PM

FYI the best rated prebuilt relay kit is: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

I just made my own, but it wasn't any cheaper, just no shipping time.

NakedOne 03-31-2010 08:06 PM

I was looking at the aztec8 dual headlight kit that plugs into your stock harness. It claims that the bulbs are 55w x 2 so what would that do to the actual power draw and is that an actual safe way to change?

luis saleiro 03-31-2010 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 260106)
I was looking at the aztec8 dual headlight kit that plugs into your stock harness. It claims that the bulbs are 55w x 2 so what would that do to the actual power draw and is that an actual safe way to change?

I´m still folowing you with all the atention NakedOne.
You´re doing very good questions.

I´ve just ordered my dual headlights like those in aztec8, they will probabily be here in 2 weeks.
And i´m having exactly the same questions as you are now.
Keep them coming man.

Does anyone knows what the 55w x 2 would do to the actual power draw and is that an actual safe?
Plus, is it a plug and play work, or will we have to "eliminate" any wires?

lazn 04-01-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 260106)

Well I am sure it will work.. But since the stock harness is already too weak for the one stock bulb, I would get a relay kit as well. Otherwise they will just be very dim.

NakedOne 04-01-2010 11:51 AM

So I was checking on some relay kits and there all about $40-$50 bones. What is the cheapest way to use the dual light setup and get the correct light output safely?

lazn 04-01-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by NakedOne (Post 260178)
So I was checking on some relay kits and there all about $40-$50 bones. What is the cheapest way to use the dual light setup and get the correct light output safely?

Well I did it myself with autopart store parts:

lengths of heavy gauge wire, 2 colors: $14
2 Relays: $15
H4 plug: $5
Connector into stock plug: $5
6A diode to keep low beam on when High beam is on: $7
Solder: on hand

So all in all I spent ~$46+ tax for a bulkier homemade version when I could have gotten a premade micro relay kit from Eastern Beaver for about the same amount.

Now if you already have some thick wire and auto relays laying around you can do it for less.

NakedOne 04-01-2010 03:46 PM

Nice, thanks for the info! Does anyone have any pics of the dual headlight setup on a stock harness?