Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Where do I begin???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Squid

NakedOne is on a distinguished road
New to the VTR scene...Where do I Begin?????

I'm new here and I have my first SuperChicken! It is a '98 that has been converted to a semi-naked. There is a single headlight but is it attached to the stock fairing stay, which looks kinda stupid. I'm looking to make it look like a true naked without the light and cluster sticking out. I have searched all over and cannot find any pics of VTR's that have been converted. I want a dual headlight setup so that is what I'm trying for. Any help would help to point me in the right direction or pics of conversions done. Hopefully someone will help!!!

Last edited by NakedOne; 03-13-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Hi & .

Here you go!

This forum does get used alot & there are plenty of people willing to help. But i dont think you searched very hard.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-100_2955.jpg   Where do I begin???-dsc_0016.jpg   Where do I begin???-firestorms0297.jpg   Where do I begin???-s5001625.jpg   Where do I begin???-mixedup23feb303.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Squid

Thank you. I have found some pics but a lot are in Europe. I guess what I'm looking for is where did the headlight conversion come from or actually what works best with the stock cluster. I really like the Z1000 look but I am having a hard time finding all that I need and will it work with the stock cluster. I have never done any modding like this so bare with me on what seems like stupid questions.

Last edited by NakedOne; 03-13-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Superstock

They are not stupid questions, if you have never done this before.

I think most guys doing this go for a headlight that they like the look of & then make custom brackets to make things fit or what ever they have in there garage.
They also change the stock cluster some times to something that will fit better/smaller.

To start with, maybe choose a head light that you like the look of, you have all ready said you like the twin lights.
Then remove your stock head light, cluster & headlight bracket.
then position your new headlight were you like the look & of course will work & not interfere with anything/cables etc.
Then work out a way to mount your new head light, may be you will need to take a trip to your local hardware store & look for some aluminium plates or some brackets, use your imagination & design some thing that will work & may be look good too .
Then see if you can mount up your original speedo cluster in some way that you like, once again you will probably need to make a custom bracket of some kind.
Or you may want to purchase a smaller speedo cluster that will fit better, there are plenty to choose from on e-bay. Also plenty of head light brackets on e-bay.
Hope this is of some help.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-gsgheadlightbracket2.jpg   Where do I begin???-headlight%2520set.jpg   Where do I begin???-brackets.jpg  

Last edited by hondavtr1000sp2; 03-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Squid

Thanks man I appreciate the help. As far as the speedo cluster, what are others that will work as a PnP cluster?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Superstock

If you search the net for streetfighter motorcycles you will find lots of usefull pictures & infomation as all streetfighters have the kind of set up that you are going for.
Here are some gauges i found on e-bay & the net that you might like.
The companys are,

s3performance.com
digital-speedos.com.uk

Have a look there are lots more styles too choose from & more internet shops selling them. I dont know how plug n play they are, take a look at there web sites & maybe email them if you find one you like.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-dbo1dim.jpg   Where do I begin???-dl02sdigital-speedos.co.uk.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace-3853_sq.jpg   Where do I begin???-xrsrdim.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace-3150_sq.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Superstock

Here are some mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-3853_on_r1_streetfighter.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace1600_on_ktm.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace3853_on_xjr1300.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace-3803_on_wr450.jpg   Where do I begin???-rx2multics.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Naked VTRs

There are several on this forum, mine being one of them.
Here are a couple of pics to save you the trouble of looking.
The meter is off a CBR900RR, the headlight is 600 Hornet aka 599.
The headlight ears are ABS plastic attached with XR650R number plate straps.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-image044.jpg   Where do I begin???-image005.jpg   Where do I begin???-image038.jpg   Where do I begin???-image042.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Squid

Kai,
Is the CBR900RR an easy swap into the SH harness? Good looking bike!! I found a dual headlight kit from aztec8 which i might look into getting. The cluster is what I'm the most concerned about now.

Honda,
Thanks for the suggestions on the speedo options. I'm gonna look into all options without having to spend a lot of money.

Thanks guys, keep the good info coming!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

The wire colors are mostly the same and you can use the 98 VTR's low fuel sending unit.
What you will have to do is find the meter assembly and it's plug in with enough wire left over to splice it into the VTR harness.
You will also need a Speedo Healer, or a Yellow Box to calibrate the speedo, mine was off by about 17%.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

Kai Ju
Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Search aztec8 on eBay. They sell their products on ebay for the same price as their website but don't charge for shipping on eBay. Not really sure why... Speedmotoco.com also has some bracket and headlight setups significantly cheaper. If your truly looking to do this on the cheap search hard. I got a 7" single headlight bucket from an 80 kawi kz550 on eBay for $20 and generic brackets for $26. The brackets required a little modifying but I have a buddy who does metal work for me.
Mine is still a work in progress but I have pics in my profile if you need some ideas. Good luck with your build and be prepared to change your mind on what you're doing every other day.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I dont think anyone has mounted up digital gauges like the ones in posts 6 & 7 or at least from what I have noticed. I tried to go that route but did a LOT of searching on here and came up empty handed with just other stock honda gauges as replacements. lame.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nothing
I dont think anyone has mounted up digital gauges like the ones in posts 6 & 7 or at least from what I have noticed. I tried to go that route but did a LOT of searching on here and came up empty handed with just other stock honda gauges as replacements. lame.
Here is a wiring diagram, sorry its not the best quality but you can make things out.
There does seem to be guys on other forums using them, as i said in post 6 if you search under street fighter motorcycles you will find much more information than on this superhawk forum.
The manufactures do say they are universal & work on most models.
Attached Thumbnails Where do I begin???-untitledacewell1.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace3963.gif   Where do I begin???-ace3853.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace3753chart.jpg   Where do I begin???-ace3963_on_buell.jpg  

Last edited by hondavtr1000sp2; 03-15-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
That's mostly because hooking up one of the universal digital ones is easier than swapping a different stock one.. Just follow the instructions from the universal one and it will work. (I have done it on a quad, it'd be the same for the SH)
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the info guys!! I have my work cut out for me but looks as if im gonna have some fun with it.

Has anyone had experience with aztec8 or there products?

Last edited by NakedOne; 03-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
SuperSport

Another route is the Trail Tech Vapor.
I've been running it for two years on my XR650R/SM and it has more functions than you can shake a stick at.
............and it now also comes in black.

http://www.trailtech.net/computers.html

Kai Ju
Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Squid

Nice i like all these options but cost is an issue. I guess im gonna fab up some sort of bracket for my cluster.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm super cheap and I'd rate myself a 2 out of 10 as a mechanic, and although my acribis unit cost a bit more than some have mentioned it took no money or skill to mount in front of the existing gauge cluster. Two metal shims, two nut/bolts and two black zip-ties.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Squid

Yea thats what im gonba do with my cluster. I just want some clean mounting brackets for my headlight.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Never purchased from aztec8 but I did email with some questions and they responded quickly.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Squid

Hmmm im so confused.....what do I do????
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

The great thing about doing something custom is you really can't go wrong. Essentially you're building the bike YOU want and as such it's a lot of trial and error. I've switched between two sets of handlebars three times and am preparing to paint my headlight bucket again because I don't think the color I chose flows with the rest of the bike... Just take your time making your decisions but be prepared to change your mind.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Squid

Yea i have changed my mind already and I have only had the bike a week. Really need to get the headlight thing figured out first.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Squid

So im sticking with my headlight that i have and gonna see about getting brackets. Then its on to the cluster mounting that is next. Not a lot of space to work with.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

The good thing about the bucket style headlights (single or double) is that a provides a nice place to hide wiring. Something to keep in mind.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Squid

That is true! Any ideas on mounting the stock cluster???
Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Chop the triangular portion of the gauge bracket off and run some flat metal stock from headlight brackets to the gauge bracket, provided you're not using the stock headlight bracket which is obviously the same piece. You can chop the mirror mounts off to clean it up a bit. Some websites, such as Aztec8 sell generic guage mounts that ultimately do the same thing just more tidy looking.

Last edited by poppazuti; 03-18-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Squid

Hmmmm i will have to dive into it soon, i really have a lot of ideas on what i want to do. Anyone else have the same obsession with their naked conversions??
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Sometimes I just sit in the garage and stare at it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by poppazuti
Sometimes I just sit in the garage and stare at it.
Same here, and then my wife will walk by and exclaim: It's a motorcycle !

Kai Ju

Quick Reply: Where do I begin???