Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

What's missing from my tail section?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
What's missing from my tail section?

The seat doesn't fit right and the rear fairing looks like it's supposed to fit differently - it's only attached to the frame on the top but looks like it should be attached on the bottom also. The unfinished black plastic "bucket" underneath the seat looks like it's been chopped. What is it supposed to look like, and would replacing that "bucket" make the seat fit flush with the fairing?

If not, how can I make the seat fit better and the fairing not so floppy?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Back Marker

PappySmears is on a distinguished road
The lock is not in situ and not pulling the seat down to the correct position. Those wires being on top of the striker plate would not be helping also.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

OK, that makes sense. About 6 months after I got it, I was coming home from the grocery store and noticed the lock was loose. After jacking with it for 5 minutes it wouldn't come loose for safekeeping. I figured that if I couldn't get it out on purpose, it wouldn't come out on accident. You can see how that ended.

I have done a little looking but not much. Anyone know where I can get "just" the lock? I can take more pics if necessary to see exactly what's missing ergo needed.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
There should be a space below the seat to allow a passenger plastic seat cowl to fit - but as Pappy points out for some reason your ECU unit etc. has been bodged forward and wire tied from where it should normally be situated back snuggly tucked away near the rear light and away underneath the bracket that mounts the lock mechanism.

From the fresh air in the photo looks like the mounting plastic/rear mudguard section has been hacked clean off.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... To me it looks like the previous owner took of an undertail before selling you the bike... That would be the only sane explanation for the chopped up undertail... (ie the black plastic tray)...

That should if complete holt the fairing in place... But most undertrays take over that task, meaning you cut away the stock parts...

Start with relocating those wires underneath the lock assembly, asap... Sooner or later you will rub through and short them out... That's not a good idea...

Then, either spend a lot of money getting all the parts in stock form... Or a little less getting yourself a nice aftermarket undertail, and a few stock bits like the lock...

Go to ronayers.com to look at the fiches and figure out exactly what parts are missing...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well without even seeing the picture as soon as I read about a seat not fitting properly the first word that popped into my head was "corbin." As beautiful as they look I've had several on several different superhawks and in plain english they all fit like ****. They always stick up it the air in the back. As was said before it looks like there are wires in the way, and who know what else was done/tweaked by the previous owner. Is it even locking down? But even with everything perfect there's a noticeable difference between the fit of a stock or sargent seat and then a corbin. I've trimmed the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat so it sits lower, and you can also slightly bend up the fairing brackets so the tail will sit a little higher. Be careful though so you don't put too much stress on the fairing.

Last edited by captainchaos; 11-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

thanks for all the replies. Ron Ayers has the best price on the mudguard, about $100. I don't think it's breaking anything as it is, just cosmetic. although the wires have already frayed through a couple times, I'll reroute those.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Here's a late model (with deeper battery compartment) 01-05 tray

01-05 VTR 1000 VRT1000 Battery Tray | eBay

Whole rear end for $100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VTR-10...#ht_500wt_1328

Last edited by Wicky; 11-20-2011 at 12:40 PM.