Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Swingarm Spools on a VTR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Swingarm Spools on a VTR?

I got some stands for cheap, but the rear requires swingarm spools. Has anyone added them and where did you put them?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah
Re: Swingarm Spools on a VTR?

If you check my "well i am back post" then you will see the ones i made with skateboard wheels and a big screw basically, i have used it to support just like a spindel and i like it.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
That's almost what I'm looking for. I got aluminum spools with 8mm bolts with the stands. I was hoping someone might know a good place to tap into the swingarm to install them. I want to be able to use the stand to take the rear wheel off (for tire replacements mostly).

If there's not a good place or it's not a good idea I might be able to come up with a way to clamp a bracket to the swingarm and have the spools mounted on the bracket. It'd be more hassle, but I don't really want to do a bunch of welding or fabbing on the swingarm itself if I don't have to.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I am fairly sure you dont want to "tap" into the swingarm anywher. I think that it will hurt the integrity of the arm. But you might be able to weld it on, of make a braket like you were talking about.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I was thinking it might be meaty enough back where the chain adjusters are. Maybe not. I can fab up a set of removable brackets easy enough.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

The one downfall of the hawk is how weak caparably the rear can be, or atleast IMO. Its not a bad arm buts not an RR arm by anymeans.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Back Marker

icebud

These are mine and I'm very satisfied of them.

And like you, at first I was afraid of doing hole in the swing arm!! But when I saw these rivo-nut and especially when I compared them to the anchor there's on the swing arm to hold the rubber chain guard, I saw that these are almost identical! Thus I was a bit more confident.

We make some test on a scrap swingarm and even with a 10 pounds mace, it was almost impossible to break these nuts, so after this, I was very more confident!

No problem until now!

Cia
Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah
Originally Posted by icebud";p=&quot
No problem until now!
So your having issues?? I am confused. Or are you talking about that they arnt there?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Sorry, maybe I miss my word on this!

I would like to say that since I've them on the bike, I had NO problem with them, but I only got them since a couple of weeks and the bike is still on the garage!!

On the other hand, I'm performing many mod on the bike these time and so, I put the bike on the stand, remove the bike from the stand, put the bike on the stand again, etc... which is a very good test IMO! and until now no problem at all!!

Hope it's more clear this time!

Cheers
Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I had mine welded on.

Great...now that I need my Superhawk spool pictures, I realized I deleted 'em...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Any ideas how thick the swingarm box material is? I can check my engineering books to see if I can figure out what effects a hole like that might have on bending strength.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 AM
SuperSport

Loco
A hole in the middle of the metal won't do anything to adversely affect the structural intergrity of the whole piece. You really only have to worry when the diameter of the hole you are drilling starts becoming a significant percentage of the total width. Something as small as an 8mm screw or even 10mm won't be enough to change any functionality. There are plenty of factors of safety pre-designed into the swingarm, not to mention you are replacing steel with steel, and your bolt will inevitably carry some of the load that the swingarm is under. Thickness does not matter, it's hole diameter you need to be concerned with.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
I'm having my swingarm braced with a brace from a 900rr and some spools welded on as we speak. It should be done tomorrow. I'll post some pics of the brace and spools as soon as I get the swingarm back from the fabricator.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Back Marker

icebud
Originally Posted by RVO27";p=&quot
I'm having my swingarm braced with a brace from a 900rr and some spools welded on as we speak. It should be done tomorrow. I'll post some pics of the brace and spools as soon as I get the swingarm back from the fabricator.
Hey RVO, any news of your swingarm mod?

Is this have worked, got some pics?

Thx
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
Yeah, I got the swingarm back a week ago. Just been too busy to take some pics. I'll take some tonight and post them up. It turned out awesome
Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Glad to hear that it have worked!

Yeah, it must give the rear an awesome look

How much your welder have charged you to do this job?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

RVO27

I had the work done in Baltimore by Eastern Motorcycles Inc. owner Ross. He charged me $250 for transfering the brace and adding spool mounts (he is a great fabricator).

Transfering the brace took a little more work than first thought. You have to clearance the brake caliper side of the brace to allow the caliper to fit and slide with the rear tire for chain adjustment. The pictures will make it more clear after I post them.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Back Marker

RVO27

Here are the pics

A little Dirty right now

Spools Welded on

Here is the Clearancing that had to be done to fit the caliper

A Few More Pics

Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Nice fitting and welding work!

I see the clearance problem you had with the rear caliper, nice solution though!

This is also cool for the spools, you will love them for sure, this is so practical! I still don't understand why Honda and/or all other brand are not putting spool on every sport bike swingarm? And please, don't tell me that cost is a problem!

Did you measure how much weight you add on the swingarm with this 900RR brace?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey RVO27, I'm going to be doing the same mod and had a question for you. Instead of cutting into the brace why not just use the caliper mount and mounting from the 900rr swingarm? Did you not have the parts or was it a problem?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Back Marker

RVO27

Did you measure how much weight you add on the swingarm with this 900RR brace?
I didn't think to weigh the difference, wish I had. I can't imagine that it added more than 3-4 pounds. When holding the 900rr swingarm in one hand and the superhawk swingarm in the other (before modifications) there wasn't that much of a difference.

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Hey RVO27, I'm going to be doing the same mod and had a question for you. Instead of cutting into the brace why not just use the caliper mount and mounting from the 900rr swingarm? Did you not have the parts or was it a problem?
I thought about doing that. But I didn't have the parts I only bought the swingarm on eBay. After talking it over with Ross (the fabricator) he said it would be no problem to clearance the brace and that it should not affect the rigidity much, if at all.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

I've got the parts,(ebay donor as well), so I'll try it the other way first. If I run into problems I'll try it your way, thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
Let me know how it goes. I'm interested to know how it turns out.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Yep! I'm also very interested to know how this will turns! Could be a very cool mod... for next winter, I've too many in progress for now!

Hey RVO, as soon as you have picture of the swingarm on the bike, post them also please!

Cia
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
Hey RVO, as soon as you have picture of the swingarm on the bike, post them also please!

Cia
Will Do
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

Will also do.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Seems to me the issue wouldn't be the hole, it would be whether the thickness of the material (threadable depth) would support the button load.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Back Marker

RVO27
I know it's been a long time but I finally got my swingarm powder coated black.

It's a bad picture, I know. I'll get some better pics up soon. Also some pics as soon as I get it on the bike. I'm still in the middle of painting the plastics. Hopefully that will be done in the next week or so. I'll update as soon as things happen.

P.S. Here's a preview of the paint job

Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you seen the swing arm that is braced from underneath? There's a pic in my gallery
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Here's what I did to use spools. Took a 15 inch piece of 1/2 inch bar stock that would pass though the rear axle- after the final 2 inches were turned down to pass through the smaller diameter left side of the axle. Press fit and permanently secured a spool to the right end. Drilled a small hole for a hitch pin in the smaller diameter left end. Pass the rod through the hollow axle until the right side spool buts up against the right end of the axle. Slip the other spool on the left end and secure with hitch pin. If desired the left spool could be permanently affixed to the left end of the axle if I didn't want to remove the rod. Much more secure than resting the PitBull round, serrated pads under the swing-arm which had a tendency to 'walk' forward if any kerosene or chain lube remained on the bottom of the arm. No drilling into the swing-arm and no permanent mods.

Quick Reply: Swingarm Spools on a VTR?