SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   sun fading on plastics (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/sun-fading-plastics-30611/)

Skidmarkart 06-19-2013 11:04 AM

sun fading on plastics

Okay this isn't really a mod per say, but this looks like the best place for the question...

My red '98 SH tail and front wheel fender have mild sun fading. Not like peeling clear coat damage, or cracks or anything like that, just looking a bit more pinkish than the tank and fairing. Finish is a little bit dull instead of glossy. Bike has mostly been kept indoors, but seems the PO neglected it a bit.

Anyway, it looks like something that could possibly be polished or buffed out (or I am willing to take a shot anyway). I am wondering if anyone has used any product for this purpose that has worked well for them. Something I could get at the local store would be great.

Thanks!

Wolverine 06-19-2013 02:30 PM

Skidmar, I have the same thing on my car. I bought it new in '95 and it's been garage kept always. Only seen snow twice and spent years not even being driven in the rain. The wing and rear bumper have the same look you describe. I haven't neglected it one bit. I haven't found anything to help the problem either. If I use a polish, the pad turns pink. Basically the clear is gone and those parts need a paint job. I keep several coats of wax on for the shine but the color is going south. IMO we are shit out of luck. The polishing compound will smooth the paint but it won't bring it back to full glory. The good thing for you is the motorcycle parts are easily removed from the bike and don't need masked if you do choose to get them painted.

randysway223 06-20-2013 11:44 AM

Yeah, it's basically a 15+ year old plastics. You're going to have to do some detailing if you wanna make it look better. Another quick solution is to plastidip it. It'll be temporary for as long as a year, and you can change the color of your bike really easily :)

skokievtr 06-20-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 357390)
Skidmar, I have the same thing on my car. I bought it new in '95 and it's been garage kept always. Only seen snow twice and spent years not even being driven in the rain. The wing and rear bumper have the same look you describe. I haven't neglected it one bit. I haven't found anything to help the problem either. If I use a polish, the pad turns pink. Basically the clear is gone and those parts need a paint job. I keep several coats of wax on for the shine but the color is going south. IMO we are shit out of luck. The polishing compound will smooth the paint but it won't bring it back to full glory. The good thing for you is the motorcycle parts are easily removed from the bike and don't need masked if you do choose to get them painted.

what 95 cage? Could be apples n' or.... Paint damaged thru to plastic must be painted to restore anywhere close to new

but

Honda has thick total dft and if not thru n' thru can be laboriously hand and or power tool polished with https://www.google.com/search?q=mcgu...ient=firefox-a

see photo of my left fairing, it was damaged and I restored it with Scratch-X (original not v2) 2 years ago and I have just kept polishing with cheap liquid "wax" (New Finish type stuff) and clean with kerosene, 91% iso alky (carefully) and Spray-Away window cleaner, and localized Scratch-X as need due to 80k miles wear n' tear. I use mostly microfiber cloths and super soft old cotton unde's n' t's which I wash a lot. Toothbrushes with Spray-Away is a killer dead bug remover with a McGuire's spray detailer for touch-up between more.

Originally Posted by randysway223 (Post 357432)
Yeah, it's basically a 15+ year old plastics. You're going to have to do some detailing if you wanna make it look better. Another quick solution is to plastidip it. It'll be temporary for as long as a year, and you can change the color of your bike really easily :)

skokievtr 06-20-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by randysway223 (Post 357432)

Oh, I forgot my question to you.

That is how old are you?

996thehawk 06-20-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Skidmarkart (Post 357381)
Okay this isn't really a mod per say, but this looks like the best place for the question...

My red '98 SH tail and front wheel fender have mild sun fading. Not like peeling clear coat damage, or cracks or anything like that, just looking a bit more pinkish than the tank and fairing. Finish is a little bit dull instead of glossy. Bike has mostly been kept indoors, but seems the PO neglected it a bit.

Anyway, it looks like something that could possibly be polished or buffed out (or I am willing to take a shot anyway). I am wondering if anyone has used any product for this purpose that has worked well for them. Something I could get at the local store would be great.

Thanks!

Hey, sounds like it might be too far gone, hard to tell without seeing it. The only products I use on my vehicles are form Wizards. They have everything you need from compounding to polishing. Their spray waxes work amazing. I highly recommend this. You can try the Mystic Cut compound and see if it brings it back and then maintain it with the polish and spray wax or mist n' shine. Hopefully it helps. It saved my 95 Tacoma that sat in a field for 2 years before I bought it. The paint was faded, scratched and just terrible to look at. Cleaned up beautiful. 3 people asked if I repainted my truck lol Good luck.

Wizards Products Store

I have tried the PlastX and ScratchX on my quad and friends DRZ and that works great as well.

Wolverine 06-21-2013 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 357440)
what 95 cage?

Acura. I don't have a pic of the affected area or I'd post.