Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Streetfighter conversion mocked up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 AM
aka sirch345. vtr1000.org
Back Marker

ripvanwinkle is on a distinguished road
Nice looking job Mr. Billet. I like the way you've got the exhaust link pipe tucked in really neatly, too many imo stick out to far. The fairing also looks cool, the first one I've seen on a VTR,

Chris.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

Derbig Mooser is on a distinguished road
Study the air flow through a shrouded (stock) Hawk, and then mold some shrouds, much smaller, and to perform only that function. Chop 'em off just below and above the rads.

Big side air intakes are all the rage now: Buell 1250 (or whatever it is with the Rotax engine) and lots of others, Suzuki B-king, sort of.
And a "Naked Hawk" is a great idea. Why didn't Honda make one?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Squid

Big Don is on a distinguished road
Several factors played a role in Honda not making a naked hawk. One of which were declining sales toward the end, the introduction on the RC-51, About the same time the little naked SV650 showed up so instead of remaking a bike that we all love into a naked version they just killed the hawk. Then a few years later killed the RC51 now Honda doesn't even compete with Suzuki for a sporty twin. I for one would have loved to see a naked Hawk from Honda even just a limited production run. I think if Honda had done just that we would see New hawks running around with FI and inverted forks from the factory. This is just my two cent's. Does anybody know where i can get a set of after market foot controls?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Back Marker

Honda just Gave Up!

I agree, a lot! The first two twins from Suzuki, the TLR-1000 and the TLS-1000 (is that right?) were not big sellers either. But Suzuki stuck with the L-twin, and came out with two versions, in 650 and 1000cc models, which did sell well. I'm talkin about the SV-1000 and 650 and that awful V-Strom. No, they are not my favorite bikes, but Suzuki stuck with the L-twin and found a viable formula.
And Honda dropped the L-twin, and now Suzuki has the only less-expensive L-twins as an alternative to the Ducatis. Sad, Honda had such a good start with the Hawk. I've had a few bikes, and ridden a lot more, and there are few bikes more goddam fun than a good-running Hawk. And the Hawk offered an ease of service hardly ever seen any more. But Honda gave up, as far as I know.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Squid

Big Don is on a distinguished road
Not to mention that the SV-650 hit just when naked bikes were posed to take off and they provided a clean easy to ride package with good FI, decent power and at a very reasonable price. Now i if you want a new twin with good looks, good power, i think the Super Duke is the way to go for a new bike. I just wish Duke would bring the RC8 to the states as better priced option to the ducks.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

I have two L-twins, the Hawk and a '93 Duc ss-900. And I've had a few bikes and ridden a few. An L-twin has wonderful running characteristics, especially for a street bike. Ducati, besides their Superbikes, still sells a line of air-cooled, two-valve L-twins, (all based originally on that SS-900) there's an Aprilla L-twin in 750 and 1200cc. MotoMorini has a 1200, and possibly other sizes.
Honda should not have given up. I wonder what the second generation Hawk and RC-51 would have been like if they hadn't?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
First off, nice set-up. Second I've been through 2 south Texas summers on mine as a streetfighter and I have'nt had any problems with overheating at all. The fairings don't make a huge difference in the cooling, only thing I noticed was the lack of wind protection on the freeway.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
love that tail. looks kinda like a zx/ z1000 tail. leave the side radiators; let's 'em know it's a SHawk....If they didn't hear it first.