Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Six Spokers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
Six Spokers...

ok guys her's my pics of my six spoke wheel swap.

front cbr f3 -80$ with bearing and seals
rear cbr900rr - 20$ both fro e-bay

Paint - Dupont Imron 118$ paint only (apparently used to paint jets and roller coasters, ect.)
Stripes - 25$ Tapeworks.com -reflective Red

all ***** rear bearings and center spacer 40$

Bridgestone Battlax BT016 front and Rear 250$- denniskirk.com

total -533$

[IMG][/IMG]

let me know what you think

Last edited by Billzilla15; 09-12-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: picture links were dead
Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Looks great! I want to do this swap so bad.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Is there a weight difference in the wheels, CBR/VTR?

Rex
Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I think that red rim with spokes and white walls you got in the background of the last image would have been cool to use j/k looks nice.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
The question is, does that have any weight benefits? I see that as pointless otherwise.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i like the spokes ! don't care much for the stripe ...

tim
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
So I'm guessing that was a direct fit? It definitely updates the look of the bike. I'm curious about the weight difference as well but even without a reduction I still like it. I think it gives the bike a sportier and more modern look, three spoke wheels definitely date the machine.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Superstock

well i think the wheels are slightly lighter but not enough to notice it does handle better but i think thats due to the bridgestones i put on, but the look is worth it in my opinion way better than the tri's that came off it

and yes, it is a direct fit bolt on and go

Last edited by Billzilla15; 10-21-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
There is a quote, somewhere in this forum, from a member who did an un-calibrated holding one in one hand, holding the other in the other hand, weight comparison, and he stated that the stock wheel felt lighter. If I find it, I'll post it.

But yes, they do look much better.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Looks great. +1 on the gloss black-my fav color for wheels. And I think folks are doing this mostly for the look. I don't think there is any real weight savings.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Squid

VTR steve is on a distinguished road
Done this to mine and no there is no differance in weight just cosmetic but i think its worth it.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
love it man i am going to re-do my stockers this winter gloss black with the red striping, props for dys
Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Squid

Third Echelon is on a distinguished road
i love that last pic where the light hits that stripe just perfectly beautiful swap!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
The question is, does that have any weight benefits? I see that as pointless otherwise.
Nick,, I’ve seen your bike,, I get it,, looks and appearances of the bike mean little to you.. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s your bike.. WHo cares what someone else thinks..
Same with this swap,, Maybe the OEM wheels needed paint anyway (mine do) maybe they had some nicks and road rash, maybe a rider just likes the 6 spoke look vs the 3 spoke..So he swapped while cleaning up the over all look, Lets face it, it’s a dated bike that is a blast to ride.. But looks or performance,and ability, we all make changes that do it for us..
I ride to the edge of my tires, most every ride,, But I see a lot of bikes, even some Super Hawks I know,, that have a mile wide chicken strip on um..Who cares, they ride um how they want, others ride a bit different,, No matter, we all ride what works for us, looks, performance, and ability.
I like the 6 spoke look.. and gloss black,,,and I’m thinking it’s just the lighting.. but they look to have a lot of ripple in / under the paint.. Do they? if so, was that intended? Is it the surface of the material or the paint? Imron has always flowed and covered well for me when I’ve sprayed it (don’t breathe that stuff…. Nasty) Surface prep is important on something like a wheel, kind of hard to color sand and shoot again.

My wheels need a coat of something, Imron in black, or powder coat maybe. I'll pass on the rim strip,, just not my thing.

Nice work Now I have another project for this winter.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I really like the gloss black - but I'm curious about dust & dirt etc. Do you have to wipe it down all the time?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Superstock

thanks guys, i love the look and the gloss black is pure sexy it sets of that bike so nice, as far as keeping it clean i duuno only rode it once since its been done,(starting to get cold here in NE Ohio)

and txsuperchicken, the ripple under the paint was there no big deal to me i blasted it epoxy-ed it and shot it with imron and the final result is what you saw, and yea i paint cars for a living and imron is by far the nastiest stuff I've ever shot
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
Nick,, I’ve seen your bike,, I get it,, looks and appearances of the bike mean little to you.. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s your bike.. WHo cares what someone else thinks..
Same with this swap,, Maybe the OEM wheels needed paint anyway (mine do) maybe they had some nicks and road rash, maybe a rider just likes the 6 spoke look vs the 3 spoke..So he swapped while cleaning up the over all look, Lets face it, it’s a dated bike that is a blast to ride.. But looks or performance,and ability, we all make changes that do it for us..
I ride to the edge of my tires, most every ride,, But I see a lot of bikes, even some Super Hawks I know,, that have a mile wide chicken strip on um..Who cares, they ride um how they want, others ride a bit different,, No matter, we all ride what works for us, looks, performance, and ability.
I like the 6 spoke look.. and gloss black,,,and I’m thinking it’s just the lighting.. but they look to have a lot of ripple in / under the paint.. Do they? if so, was that intended? Is it the surface of the material or the paint? Imron has always flowed and covered well for me when I’ve sprayed it (don’t breathe that stuff…. Nasty) Surface prep is important on something like a wheel, kind of hard to color sand and shoot again.

My wheels need a coat of something, Imron in black, or powder coat maybe. I'll pass on the rim strip,, just not my thing.

Nice work Now I have another project for this winter.
Looks mean a lot to me, which is also the reason I'm going to paint my bike, however I would not sacrifice 200+ dollars for pure cosmetic. I'm not like those guys riding bling bikes, because that's not me.
For example, I'd love some magnesium wheels, but that's both because they look good and because they are much lighter than stock.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 10-21-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

I asked Bill about the weight difference, if any, out of curiosity. The six spokes look quite official, although I'd go without the stripes. But, hey, if we all rode identical bikes it would be pretty boring.

As to stealth bling......think BST carbon wheels.....painted the color of your choice!

Rex
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
LOL - I thought this thread was about Cosmetic changes! What are you doing lurking here? If you want to see performance enhancing changes, stick to the performance threads.

Bill the solid black six spokers are awesome and I think they make the bike "feel" faster. Hahaha. Consider it a performance increase. Now if you only paint the bike yellow it would be even faster.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jaypo
LOL - I thought this thread was about Cosmetic changes! What are you doing lurking here? If you want to see performance enhancing changes, stick to the performance threads.

Bill the solid black six spokers are awesome and I think they make the bike "feel" faster. Hahaha. Consider it a performance increase. Now if you only paint the bike yellow it would be even faster.
Paint it murcielago-yellow.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse

As to stealth bling......think BST carbon wheels.....painted the color of your choice!

Rex
Why hide it? If I'm paying for more my wheels than my BIKE I'm not painting ****
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
The wheels look great. I would like to do something similar but, please don't make me add up what I've spent on cosmetic changes

As far as performance enhancing changes "I know NoTHing"

I spent $6500 and a year of my evenings and weekends restoring a perfectly rideable K75. It was a head turner but the guy who rear-ended me had his head turned the wrong way
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I asked Bill about the weight difference, if any, out of curiosity. The six spokes look quite official, although I'd go without the stripes. But, hey, if we all rode identical bikes it would be pretty boring.

Rex
The first rule of carbon fiber is that you do not paint carbon fiber.
The second rule of carbon fiber is that you do not paint carbon fiber.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

The first rule of carbon fiber is that you do not paint carbon fiber.
The second rule of carbon fiber is that you do not paint carbon fiber.

If you're talking wheels, that's a good point, as painting may hide defects that arise over time, and you totally missed my feeble attempt at making a funny.
I'll add a smiley for you next time.

If you're talking carbon fiber parts in general, you're mistaken. Carbon fiber parts can be painted.

Rex
Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

If you're talking wheels, that's a good point, as painting may hide defects that arise over time, and you totally missed my feeble attempt at making a funny.
I'll add a smiley for you next time.

If you're talking carbon fiber parts in general, you're mistaken. Carbon fiber parts can be painted.

Rex
Oh I know you can paint them, it's just a total shame to paint it. Hence my allusion, which was also a feeble attempt at humor.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Looks good Bill, and done at a good price too.

Just a little bit cheaper than my custom wheels, which cost about $3500 USD.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Twin Junkie
Squid

Puff998 is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome,that is my next mod !!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Looks mean a lot to me, which is also the reason I'm going to paint my bike, however I would not sacrifice 200+ dollars for pure cosmetic. I'm not like those guys riding bling bikes, because that's not me.
For example, I'd love some magnesium wheels, but that's both because they look good and because they are much lighter than stock.
Nick, you can paint your bike for under $200 counting time/labor?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Puff998
Looks awesome,that is my next mod !!!
I just posted links to ebay for these wheels. Not quite as cheap as some have found, but not bad.

They are in the Ebay section of the forum.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatterbrained
So I'm guessing that was a direct fit? It definitely updates the look of the bike. I'm curious about the weight difference as well but even without a reduction I still like it. I think it gives the bike a sportier and more modern look, three spoke wheels definitely date the machine.
I TOTALLY AGREE, COULDNT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER. LOOKS GREAT.

Quick Reply: Six Spokers...