Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Sharkskinz solo tail

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Sharkskinz solo tail

Anyone have any experience with the Sharkskinz solo street tail? I've read a ton about the lower fairing, mostly great but nobody has mentioned anything about rear fairings...
My days of two up riding are over since my wife is pregnant with twins, and a recent parking lot mishap had me replacing the tank (decided to go with black instead of yellow, as I was in the process of repainting it black when the accident occurred). I'm planning on running the exhaust on the right side only (shortened Jardine cans piggybacked a la Ducati Streetfighter) so right side passenger bracket will be gone anyway.
Any info would be helpful.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i looked at it and im a little confused as to how it uses the stock seat? looks like you might just get a cowl at 200$ for the unpainted plastics.

Last edited by cameron; 10-14-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It's simple... You stick the stock seat in there and bolt it on... No opening the underseat compartment (there is none...) so yes... It's a $200+ rear seat cowl...

I'd rather just use the cowl I have... I'd use my money on a Sargent or Corbin instead...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

In my opinion it's worth the money when a stock rear fairing not including the seat cowl is $300+. Like I said, I don't do a lot of two up riding and there doesn't seem to be much more of it in my future.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Or find a decent used one on ebay for half that...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

coming up short on the ebay front...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I've got a broken tail light tab underneath my rear plastic and am looking for an effective solution as well. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
I've got a broken tail light tab underneath my rear plastic and am looking for an effective solution as well. Anyone have any other ideas?
Tail light tab? you mean a tab that holds the cowl (fairing) on? I did too and glued it with some Goop.. it has held up for years now :P Though if I were to do it again, I'd probably break out the soldering iron and weld it.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Superstock

No. the screw holes in the rear and front of the tail section are all in tact and hold just fine. There are two tabs which the tail light screws onto. One of those is broken on my bike. I do have the broken tab, but never much luck with re-attaching them. I'm just wondering if there is an option for replacement, or if re-attaching is my best bet.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
No. the screw holes in the rear and front of the tail section are all in tact and hold just fine. There are two tabs which the tail light screws onto. One of those is broken on my bike. I do have the broken tab, but never much luck with re-attaching them. I'm just wondering if there is an option for replacement, or if re-attaching is my best bet.
Ah I understand.. I actually broke off a tab on my tail light itself (aftermarket LED one) when I dropped it during a rewire. And what I did was use some washers, a bolt and some RTV silicone to fix it, then actually glued my tail light in place with RTV as well. (that way I can remove it again if needed, but in the mean time it is well secured)
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
all the tail light tabs on mine are broken off. I made very small holes in the plastic that was left on either side, and on both sides of the plastic of the light assembly where it would bolt up and used some wire to lock it down. it works pretty well. since its wire, it still flexes a little so it won't shake loose, and I can always tighten it up if it does start to wiggle a little too much.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Put the pieces of the broken tab back together, no gluing yet, then get a piece of plastic that is the same size as the tab. Epoxy the plastic piece behind the broken tab and let it dry. Then drill a hole through the plastic.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Superstock

thanks guys. You gave me some good ideas. I'll take a look. I may be able to get some thin aluminum stock and make myself a tab, bolting it onto some of the remaining plastic, then put the screw bracket onto the aluminum!