Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Request: LED tail video

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Request: LED tail video

Will someone/anyone take a short video of their LED combo tail light in action? I'd like to see how bright the running/brake/turn functions are. Preferably the smoked version LED tails but I'm not opposed to the clear either. I think the smoke would look better on the Italian Red.

Much appreciatted!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I have the clear, but no videos. The turn signals are much brighter, and even with one side flashing yellow, the other half of the tail light that is red is still brighter than the OE tail light as a whole.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 PM
SuperSport

Thanks, will you take a vid for me if possible? Much appreciated!

Also how much did you pay for yours and where? I've sen the prices range from $50-$125 depending on where I look. They all seem to be the same tail light so I'm not sure why there is such a price range from one vendor/business to the other.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

cljackson99 is on a distinguished road
Just did my taillight replacement today. Looks great, although I was also worried that it wouldn't be visible enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Got mine off Fleabay for about $65. Seller's name was autodynamic123 and they had the best feedback and price for the unit, which, as you said, is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Also came with install instructions and resistors. Didn't use the resistors, as I'll get one of the flasher controllers later.

If I can get some video shot tomorrow, I'll try to post it for you.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cljackson99
Just did my taillight replacement today. Looks great, although I was also worried that it wouldn't be visible enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Got mine off Fleabay for about $65. Seller's name was autodynamic123 and they had the best feedback and price for the unit, which, as you said, is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Also came with install instructions and resistors. Didn't use the resistors, as I'll get one of the flasher controllers later.

Thanks! That would be great!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cljackson99

Can you use the stock tailight plastic cover with the LED tailight replacement on sale on Ebay? I don't like the clear look. I want everything in red.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Killemall
Can you use the stock tailight plastic cover with the LED tailight replacement on sale on Ebay? I don't like the clear look. I want everything in red.
Just tint the clear lens with red translucent paint or stained glass paint. I used to do this mod to aftermarket tail lights for people.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
That might confuse people behind you. With the red lens, people may think you're just tapping the brake or have a short. With the clear, they'll see the amber color and know it's a turn signal.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
SuperSport

Good point Greg.

BTW I found this video on youtube of a FZR600 and VTR going down some mountain roads. Looks like the VTR has the clear version integrated LED tail.

Video (music blows BTW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_CVDELiME
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by haknslash
Just tint the clear lens with red translucent paint or stained glass paint. I used to do this mod to aftermarket tail lights for people.
That's a possibility but it would be cheaper if I can just keep the stock red cover. I used to see LED tail lights with red cover on Ebay. They seem to be gone now.

Originally Posted by Gregw
That might confuse people behind you. With the red lens, people may think you're just tapping the brake or have a short. With the clear, they'll see the amber color and know it's a turn signal.
No integrated turn signals for me. I want to keep the blinkers on the sides.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:20 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

No integrated turn signals for me. I want to keep the blinkers on the sides.
Gotcha. Another possibility would be replacement LED bulbs. I've bought a couple and not been happy with 'em though. What I did find were Luxeon LEDs, which are amazingly bright, leave spots on your retina type of stuff. They'd need resistors and some way to attach them in the tail light, so they're not plug n play. Here's a video of how bright one diode is (not a cluster of diodes). The red diode is actually a little brighter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_LhU2kOOMc
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 AM
SuperSport

That's a possibility but it would be cheaper if I can just keep the stock red cover. I used to see LED tail lights with red cover on Ebay. They seem to be gone now.
Sounds like what you might want to try and retrofitting your stock tail light. I did this to my CBR F3 back in the day using a Maxxima LED stop/tail light assembly. They are the same units found on big 18-wheeler trucks you see out on the roads. Very bright and very intense along with great build quality. You can find these "universal" LED units at truck stops or truck retail stores that carry lighting for the big rigs. I've contemplated doing this again but to my VTR this time as I'm lke you, I prefer the clean appearance of a red lens versus clear.

The Maxxima unit I had used 60 high-intensity LEDs. you can see the same one I used here http://www.uatparts.com/miva/merchan...ory_Code=MAXX2. As you can see, they can be had for next to nothing when comparing to buying some LED tail light for the VTR. Note you have to buy a pigtail seperate as they never include it.

Dimensions are:

Width 6.40"
Height 2.2"
Depth 1.63"

The VTR tail looks similar in shape and internal dimensions as my CBR tail did. I'm sure it could be done with a little bit of work. Nothing too hard as all it really involves is removed the red lens from the tail light and then mounting in the Maxxima LED unit inside where the reflector for the tail light is. Notice there are no mounting holes in the picture above. That's because you have to buy a seperate grommet piece that has a mounting plate and pattern made onto it. I couldn't use that piece on my CBR because it took up too much room. So what I did was epoxy it directly to the reflector and never had a problem over several years of owning that bike. Wire it up and put it back together and you're done. The tail light would be brighter than any other bikes tail lights. I used to outshine all the OEM bikes with LED tails no problems. Makes you feel alot safer being at a red light and flashing the bright *** brake light to get a cagers attention.

Last edited by haknslash; 06-03-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I just made this a few weeks ago,

I made a bracket, and 3 #194 LEDs on each side. Much better than the blinkers on the undertail.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 AM
SuperSport

Definitely better than the blinkers on the undertail! Nice job.

I think I might stop by the local truck store here where I bought my last Maxxima unit and do the same treatment on the VTR as I did on the CBR. Seems the cheapest method for getting the brightest performance and still retain a clean OE appearance.

I'll post a thread with a how-to.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Squid

Gizzmo_jr is on a distinguished road
I've got a couple pic's if it helps.
larger availabe on my flickr
Sorry about the underexposure, had the light metre all wrong.
Turn / Running with Turn / Brake

Attached Thumbnails Request: LED tail video-2548094065_c1d469df3a.jpg   Request: LED tail video-2548093993_929ab00c14.jpg   Request: LED tail video-2548919824_86fc6c0b85.jpg  
Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

cljackson99 is on a distinguished road
Had a long reply complete, then my browser crashed. So here's the condensed version.

First video (here) shows signals and brake lights in action, but angle is too low to show how bright they are.

Second video (here) is better example of brightness. Turn signals are really more amber than video shows.

I wouldn't tint a clear lens containing red/amber LEDs because you wouldn't be able to tell the amber from the red.

LED replacement bulbs might work, if you find some that reflect equal to what an incandescent does, in all directions.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 AM
SuperSport

Thanks for putting the vids up Chris!

Another thing he might could do is to buy the LED tail like you have but rather than paint the lens red with translucent paint; he could remove the lens, mask off the LEDs and then paint the board or reflector (whatever is in there) red. Just a thought.

That is basically what I used to do for the Dodge Neon community when I ran a custom lighting business.

They wuld come like this...

And then I'd take them apart and paint the chrome reflective areas with a translucent red paint to get a more OEM kind of look....

Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Superstock

handkaudio is on a distinguished road
I got my LED turn signal tail today. I freaking love it. No turn signals anywhere on the rear. Now I just need to figure out how to get my flashers to slow back down to stock?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by handkaudio
Now I just need to figure out how to get my flashers to slow back down to stock?
I got a flasher relay yesterday for my LEDs. $13 and it plugs right in. You could go with load resistors - cheaper, but more work to install. My local Honda shop had the relay.

Last edited by Gregw; 07-17-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Superstock

I got a flasher relay yesterday for my LEDs. $13 and it plugs right in. You could go with load resistors - cheaper, but more work to install. My local Honda shop had the relay.
Do you have the model number? and where is that located on the bike?? Thanks a ton, I will get that tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Don't know the model number. It was aftermarket with a Honda plug (it only used 2 wires on the 3 prong plug). The flasher is located on the rear subframe, right side as you sit on the bike. It's attached on the outside underneath the bodywork about midway back. You might have access to it by just removing the seat, but that might be tough. Can't remember exactly, I moved mine when I put a new R/R in so the rear body had to come off anyway for me. Here's a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails Request: LED tail video-flashrelay.jpg  
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I had purchased one of the as well (from LP), and while it did normalize the blink rate... it changed the turn signal function by using the brake l.e.d.'s as the turn indicators.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM
Superstock

Don't know the model number. It was aftermarket with a Honda plug (it only used 2 wires on the 3 prong plug). The flasher is located on the rear subframe, right side as you sit on the bike. It's attached on the outside underneath the bodywork about midway back. You might have access to it by just removing the seat, but that might be tough. Can't remember exactly, I moved mine when I put a new R/R in so the rear body had to come off anyway for me. Here's a picture of it.
Thanks for that help Greg! Just got the hawk a week ago, so not sure everything is yet lol. I will goto the honda dealership today and see what they have. Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Superstock

Verne
Any chance you can find a part number or manufacturer? I have everything together to go all LED in the turn signals but a relay. Just going to do it all at once.

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
BeautyHawk
Squid

kshuck2 is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-F...spagenameZWDVW

heres the one i bought, supposed to be plug and play, fits a lot of bikes including the VTR
haven't got a chance to install it yet, but I'll let you know how it works when i do.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Superstock

Verne
Thanks. I found another but could not remember it if it was a 2 or 3 wire relay. Just ordered the one you posted. We will she how it works in a few days, I hope.

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Superstock

Got my relay in and going, also got my integrated smoked tail light in. And maybe a video if your lucky, also put a little of my HID in the vid... Wanna see??
Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Superstock

Please excuse the dryer in th background, we just had a garage sale and have not got it put away yet...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Verne
Any chance you can find a part number or manufacturer? I have everything together to go all LED in the turn signals but a relay. Just going to do it all at once.

Thanks,
Does that mean I'm off the hook?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Superstock

I think I threw away the package? lol. I order it from the honda dealer and it was 20 bucks, but was plug and play

Quick Reply: Request: LED tail video