Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

RC51 fairings on Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
RC51 fairings on Superhawk

Well..... Figured I would share some pictures...

I bought these fairings and they sat in my attic for a few weeks while I was planning to just resell them to buy the Mario Nava bodywork... I wanted to follow through with modding them to fit the SuperHawk so that reselling them would be easier...

I kinda liked the look of them on the bike when I first test fitted them.

In a last minute decision, I decided that what better time to put my basement paint booth and new sprayer to the test... So I headed out to the paint store and had them scan my solo seat cowl as I did with the original sharskinz lower painting... And home I went to finish prepping for paint...

Well here it is....

Now the headlight is a fog light at the moment.. I have changed it out once with a better light, but I haven't ponied up for a real headlight yet since i'm still debating if I want to just keep these or do the Mario Nava stuff...

Gotta say... The fairings are only .5-1" wider each side, but it really fills it out a good bit... I really do like them.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

We did a 370 mile group ride on Sunday and they did fine. The fiberglass unpainted felt thin, which had me wondering if it was sturdy.. But once it was painted and cleared, it thickened up plenty... probably at least as thick as the stock bodywork honestly... And with about 500 miles on since putting it back on after paint, there are no complaints.

Lots of compliments on it... And the bike to me just looks good like that.

So Mario Nava stuff may be on hold... still not sure
Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Nice Mod, was it hard to fit the RC-51 fairings to fit?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Nope... You have to be brave enough to order some brand new perfectly good fairings, and start cutting on them.. lol

But not to bad at all
Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Now to add a rc51 tail.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Now to add a rc51 tail.
Or some forks.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So are you gonna describe the mods needed to the fairings? I really want to do this. Didnt even think of putting the headlight in the ram air.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I ride two up from time to time, so not going to swap out the tail at this point, but may someday. And no fork swap in my near future either, after having Greg mod mine, they suit me just fine for my riding...

I used stock mounting brackets, just moved them... The top mounting bracket on each side, I just moved back to on of the Rad mounting bolts, which basically lined everything up just perfect. I was drilling my own holes, so I didn't have to match anything up with existing holes (great thing with race fairings) Drilled holes for the sliders, and of course had to drill my own holes for the mirrors...

The mirror holes where only about 1/2" off from where it was dimpled for drilling, so they look natural there...

Now there is no one simple way to do it... JDHawk did his, and from looking at the pictures, he mounted his slightly lower than I did mine. The reason I say that is in his pictures, before he upgraded the windscreen to a RC51 windscreen, you could see a little of that gap where the stock windscreen is gapped at the bottom, and from his side pictures, the fairing appeared to sit a little lower on the frame. I was gonna go with a RC windscreen so that part didn't bother me, but I wanted the sides to follow the frame closer, and not expose anything under the frame... So I basically hollowed out the lower fairing just like a stock RC51 has... its solid up front, but where the engine sits, its hollow... which is why you can see my exhaust pipe come out the bottom slightly... Mounting it lower would have given it a cool low front end look, but to me just wasn't as natural for the lines of the bike.

Had to trim the fiberglass around the windscreen area where the brake fluid resevior was touching when turned...

As for headlight.. i got that idea from JDHawk... and thanks to him for convincing me that it can be done without custom brackets... just gotta be creative. I'm still headlight searching... Really wanna do a double headlight in the air intake one on top of the other like a duc 999 has.. If i did it over again, i would probably just drill a hole for a small round headlight on the side, and just do mesh in the air damn... but i don't know... I really like the look of the upper... so the hidden headlight is kinda cool... once i get a headlight i'm keeping, i'm gonna surround it in mesh to fill in that hole...

if i even keep these fairings... Mario Nava stuff looks good too
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Very badazz looking! Nice paint job too. Way to go!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey I cant search the posts for JDhawks pics. Anyone have a link to his for comparo??
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

JDHawk's bike...

now let me clarify, his looks AWESOME...

This is a custom mod on a bike, and no two will be exactly the same... I simply mounted mine a little higher to cover more of the frame...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
OK, some info needed. Did you start down this road for aesthetic reasons or monetary reasons? It looks good, to me, if you like the UJSB look, and is an excellent iteration of same, if you were looking for a less expensive than stock replacement. But the reason why so many folks 'fighter this bike after mishaps is because it IS different, and lends itself to a different look. So what was it? Not hatin', just curious...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

When I made the choice to buy the SuperHawk, I also decided I would want to add a lower fairing to it immediately. I love the bike, but just liked the fully faired look better... I considered the VFR as a purchase, but it felt bigger, and didn't have as much punch to play on...

I bought a Sharskinz lower shortly after buying the bike, which looked good, but the longer I had it, the more certain body lines bugged me. The stock fairings where designed to kinda narrow in at the bottom, so when you added a sharkskinz lower, it didn't follow the lines as well as I would like.

I have seen some RC body swaps I really liked and some that didn't do it for me as much... But after finding a good deal on the fairings, I figured what the hell.... I then decided if I'm gonna do it, I might as well pony up on the Mario Nava work which basically took the stock fairing design, but added a lower fairing that looked like it was meant to be there. And honestly had my mind made up on that bodywork... but after seeing these fairings on my bike, I kinda liked them... So... If I ever get tired of these, I'll go Mario Nava at that time... but for now, I kinda like the lines...

so purely the look!!!!!!!!!!!! to answer your question... no offense taken... (but I have been known to modify everything i own, so it fits)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Nicely done, I like it!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
When I made the choice to buy the SuperHawk, I also decided I would want to add a lower fairing to it immediately. I love the bike, but just liked the fully faired look better... I considered the VFR as a purchase, but it felt bigger, and didn't have as much punch to play on...

I bought a Sharskinz lower shortly after buying the bike, which looked good, but the longer I had it, the more certain body lines bugged me. The stock fairings where designed to kinda narrow in at the bottom, so when you added a sharkskinz lower, it didn't follow the lines as well as I would like.

I have seen some RC body swaps I really liked and some that didn't do it for me as much... But after finding a good deal on the fairings, I figured what the hell.... I then decided if I'm gonna do it, I might as well pony up on the Mario Nava work which basically took the stock fairing design, but added a lower fairing that looked like it was meant to be there. And honestly had my mind made up on that bodywork... but after seeing these fairings on my bike, I kinda liked them... So... If I ever get tired of these, I'll go Mario Nava at that time... but for now, I kinda like the lines...

so purely the look!!!!!!!!!!!! to answer your question... no offense taken... (but I have been known to modify everything i own, so it fits)
The stock fairings and look is one of the things i won't be changing on my bike... I have however changed about anything else...

And in the words of my 8 yo niece when me and my brother discussed cars/bikes and such and weather I had modified all I own... (My brother doesn't, he just has me doing it... ) She was looking at my newest purchase, a CBR600F4i in stock condition bought for my gf, and said "Why is that stock?"

At first we tried to explain to her what it meant, figuring she had misunderstood us, but after a while it became clear that she understood perfectly and the simple answear to the question was that I kinda hadn't gotten around to it yet... The follow up question was even harder... "When will you be done with it?"... Try explaining that about modifications to a 9 year old...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
...And in the words of my 8 yo niece ...

The follow up question was even harder... "When will you be done with it?"... Try explaining that about modifications to a 9 year old...
That must have been a long explanation, she aged a year!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
That must have been a long explanation, she aged a year!
Oops... sorry... She's still 8... Will be nine in about a month, so I'd have to talk for an awful long time... I doubt I'd make it... She could do it easily though...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Josh

First let me say that I like the superhawk the way it is. I personally feel that the 1/2 faring helps it stand out in a sea of inline 4's.

With that said, I really like your version of the RC faring on the shawk. Boosting the farings up to cover the frame makes a huge difference. Well done sir!

Also your going to confuse the hell out of people.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Josh

First let me say that I like the superhawk the way it is. I personally feel that the 1/2 faring helps it stand out in a sea of inline 4's.

With that said, I really like your version of the RC faring on the shawk. Boosting the farings up to cover the frame makes a huge difference. Well done sir!

Also your going to confuse the hell out of people.
Thank you,

And yes, I've confused a few already... a guy today asked if it was a RC51, and on sunday a guy asked if it was a CBR600 lol... don't know where that came from...

anyway... I had a guy on a 929 pull up behind me at a light about 2 weeks back and followed me into a gas station to ask me how i got my exhaust to sound like that...

So while the personality of the SuperHawk is very vissable standing out with stock fairings... I kinda like confusing people... Feels good to say, NO.. its not a 600.. and I LOVE to be in a group of 4 banger bikes like last sunday, and while everybody starts up, I wait a second, then start up with throttle rolled on and my Micron's singing just as loud as can be... defanately makes people look...
Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Headlight thing has a temp solution... I'm still hunting down some projectors to take the place of these lights, but the mounting positions are about what I'm gonna stick with.... I am toying with making a fiberglass insert to fit the ram air slot that would house the lights too though... would be cool....

anyway....

low beam

and hi beam

I think once they have been replaced with some projectors, it will look even better. But i'm happy with the light output, and they are kinda hidden, which is cool...

Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Oh.....

I gotta add... i ordered a RC51 double bubble tented windscreen... But after test fitting it... I actually am reselling it and ordering a SuperHawk one... just seems to fit it better for some reason... lol
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Very nicely done, sweet lookin ride.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Nice one Josh.... I like it.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Great job. I really like it, especially the twin headlights..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Thanks guy's.

I've been really happy with the RC51 fairings. Both look, and feel. Its wild, the angle of the fairing is about perfect with the angle of my legs... My knee's sit right above the fairings. I'm sure since the RC was so similar thats why it seems fitting so well..

anyway... I'll keep updated if anything changes on it.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Squid

jdhawk is on a distinguished road
looks great joshua just like mine a one of a kind
Old 09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
looks awesome man! grab an hid projector to use for the head lamp :]

definitely pass on the rc51 tail (just my opinion) the hawk tail looks really good already, no use in spending more $ for a bike that looks like an rc51 and doesnt ride like one *shrug*

anyways, awesome work!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Squid

jdhawk is on a distinguished road
Is that gutter guard aluminum mesh over the rads? I like the look I will have to do that cleans up the clutter that is under the skins I used the mesh around my projector beam . again very very nice !!!!
Like a wolf in sheeps clothes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jdhawk
Is that gutter guard aluminum mesh over the rads? I like the look I will have to do that cleans up the clutter that is under the skins I used the mesh around my projector beam . again very very nice !!!!
Like a wolf in sheeps clothes
In the first pictures i posted, it was a plastic mesh I picked up a roll of once at a flea market... But in the headlight pictures, i changed it to a much tighter and heavier mesh...

Walmart office supply isle... $8 mesh office trash can.... Cut the edges off and it made a PERFECT piece of mesh to cut them out of.... used some paperclips, unfolded and epoxy to hold them to the inside of the fairing, then the paperclips to fold down and hold the mesh in place.... works perfectly
Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Squid

compmoto is on a distinguished road
fairing source

where did you buy the fairings? or better yet, are they OEM,or a type of aftermarket replacements,like Airtech,or Sharkskins? I'm asking to see what some of the options are for an endeavor such as this. The $300-$400 sets from Taiwan, or Hong Kong(for RC51) might be an option for someone to try, since they'll be taking a chance with 'em...pardon me asking this, if I missed it in an earlier post... AND +1 ,on a good job!

Quick Reply: RC51 fairings on Superhawk