Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Proton or Watsen Flushmount!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
Proton or Watsen Flushmount!?!?!?!

I've searched and searched for info concerning Protons AND Watsens flushmounts. Only to come to the conclusion that I totally like both of em. Protons are programmable.....Watsens have that cool 3-LED config. So, what do you guys think looks cooler....the Watsens in the left pic or the Protons on the right?

Anyone with experiences with either?

Any install tips?
Attached Thumbnails Proton or Watsen Flushmount!?!?!?!-1350926957_15510eac57_o.jpg   Proton or Watsen Flushmount!?!?!?!-26211_protons_honda.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Protons came on my RC51. They are very bright but I haven't tried nor looked into the programming feature. Do you know if they can be turned into running lights? That's a feature I want and will go back to stock if I have to.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Back Marker

From what I've heard, you can use them as running lights. I saw the instructions online somewhere. If I come across them again, I'll post the link here.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I was kinda on the fence, but after seeing the pics, I vote Watsen. Looks cleaner.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Protons, they do have a running light, and how they flash depends on which wires you hook up. The blinkers are very bright, and I like being able to keep the markers.
Here's a vid of the blinkers and a pic of the running light.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Watsen look cleaner but I think Protons would be brighter. I also like the strobe, normal flash, and fade + running lights you can do with the Protons.

My vote would be Protons based on the fact they are cheaper and might be more effective.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

The Watsens do look awesome. But I like the options on the Protons.

VTRumble....how easy were they to put in? Do I need a resistor?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
rumble I was watching the video from the front and it looks as if both sides blink the right blinker is going strong but it looks like the left has a faint blink happening?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Back Marker

I have found that if you are running at least 1 regular bulb on each side no resistors are needed, but if you go with all LED then yes resistors are necessary. I can't remember exactly what I used but it was very close to the values of the ones LP sells. As for the apparent flicker on the left side, I have no idea what is going on there, its ONLY in the video, maybe because I'm using a still cam in video mode and it's not as fast. In person though there is absolutely no flicker or anything like that. It also makes the blink look irregular at times but it's the same thing, only happens in the video. They were very easy to install, I kept the ruber grommets from the stock blinkers. I have seen others go without, but it was tough to position them perfectly over the hole without them. (I know someone will make a comment about the wax around the blinker, I took care of it)

Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Back Marker

Rumble

What do you mean ALL LED....do you mean the turn signals? I've got the mototek undertail coming so I assume in that case I'll be all LED and will have to get a resistor right? Also, will I need a resistor for each light? Or is there and easier way? BTW, awesome looking Hawk.

Thanks,

Scout
Old 07-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
Rumble

What do you mean ALL LED....do you mean the turn signals? I've got the mototek undertail coming so I assume in that case I'll be all LED and will have to get a resistor right? Also, will I need a resistor for each light? Or is there and easier way? BTW, awesome looking Hawk.

Thanks,

Scout
Yes you need a resistor for every light... and YES there is an easier way... find a load independant blinker relay and replace the original one with... then you don't need ANY resistors...
Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Yes you need a resistor for every light... and YES there is an easier way... find a load independant blinker relay and replace the original one with... then you don't need ANY resistors...
When I did the undertail, I still had the stock front signals and didn't need any resistors. Once I went to front and rear (all) LED there wasn't enough of a draw and they would barely even light. I put one resistor on each side in the rear, where there was more room to tuck them away and they work fine now. I saw the new relay after I did this, but still might pick one up to get rid of the resistors.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... to get the correct flash rate, you need one on ALL of them... In your case as those are "programmable" it might not be neccesary... also you seem to have less stringent laws "over there"...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Back Marker

Awesome tips. Anyone know where to get said relay? Rumble, how easy was that undertail to install. It's on the way from Canada right now. After i get it to paint, I'm putting it one. I did install an undertail on my '01 SV and that required cutting the stock fender off. I assume the same for the Mototek?

Hehe...I love modding bikes!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Squid

Scott Bessel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRumble
I have the Protons,<snip>]
Which ones did you get? I want them but don't see SuperHawk as an option.

thanks!

Scott
Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
I just order the watsen's I can't wait to see if they are worth like everyone says.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Scott Bessel
Which ones did you get? I want them but don't see SuperHawk as an option.

thanks!

Scott
IIRC, he bought the ones for the RC51 but they will work with reusing the stock turn signal rubber piece, or make a trim piece from ABS. I've also seen those rubber pieces to fill in the area of flushmounts at Cycle Gear. They have the same shape as the VTRs (kinda teardrop).
Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by haknslash
IIRC, he bought the ones for the RC51 but they will work with reusing the stock turn signal rubber piece, or make a trim piece from ABS. I've also seen those rubber pieces to fill in the area of flushmounts at Cycle Gear. They have the same shape as the VTRs (kinda teardrop).
You didn't have to modify/cut the fairings did you? Contrary to your name!?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Heck, I'll give you my flush mounts for free if you send your stock front signals. I have no idea what brand they are... Nothing fancy.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
You didn't have to modify/cut the fairings did you? Contrary to your name!?
My names stems from modifying headlights and various custom parts

I don't have the Protons or the Watsens.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Back Marker

I ordered the RC51 Protons and reused the rubber grommet from the stock signals. As for the undertail, there is a decent amount of cutting needed, I tried to remove as little as possible, and I made a plate to cover the cut out area. Make sure you don't cut off the rubber strap and hook, that way you can still secure the 1/2 piece of paper that will fit under there if placed in properly. Just TAKE YOUR TIME cutting, there are many different opinions on the easiest way to make a neat cut. A dremmel will work but they usually make quite a mess, I bought a $1 putty knife and heated it with a torch, then pushed it through the plastic. Makes a nice neat cut, just be careful of any wires.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Squid

Scott Bessel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRumble
I ordered the RC51 Protons and reused the rubber grommet from the stock signals. <snip>
Any other modifications needed to make these fit? I am not sure I still have the old 'rubbers' but if that is all that is needed it should pretty simple.

thanks!

Scott
Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Scott Bessel
Any other modifications needed to make these fit? I am not sure I still have the old 'rubbers' but if that is all that is needed it should pretty simple.

thanks!

Scott
Scott, CG sells the rubber pieces you could use.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Back Marker

They actually will work without the rubber, it just leaves a small gap at one end, and for some reason, Honda decided not to paint completely around the hole so it looks a little unfinished without grommets. If you got some, you could still install them and see how you like them, if you decide you want to order some grommets, you could just leave the blinkers in while you wait.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Back Marker

Rumble...just to confirm...no cutting of the fairing?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Back Marker

Absolutely no cutting for the Proton (RC51) flushmounts. If I remember right, I added a large fender washer in the back to secure them. If I think of it I'll try to get a pic, I think I put a bend in the washers to fit tighter.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

Awesome....I'll have to order them tomorrow!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 AM
SuperSport

Rumble, I was wondering how do you go about changing the different flash program modes? Is there a switch on the back or something? Also can you change the rate of the fade and flash/strobe effect?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Back Marker

There are 4 wires: ground, running light, and 2 for blinkers. I believe orange and yellow, with just yellow hooked up you get strobe, orange only is fade, and both is normal flash
(the colors may be different but that's the idea), even if you put steady 12v to the bliner wire(s) they will still flash at a normal rate, so they aren't affected by fast flashing. I had to add resistors because they woudn't even draw enough current to make the flasher relay work, and were not very bright. I knew it wasn't the light itself because they worked fine hooked to the running light wire. Resistors took care of that and they work fine now.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
SuperSport

Thanks for the info man.

Quick Reply: Proton or Watsen Flushmount!?!?!?!