Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

new fairings for my SH

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
new fairings for my SH

ok guys my friend is gonna be buying me new parts for my bike this week on payday, just wondering what you guys thought was the best place to go through, and what type of fairing is best

i know there are alot of people who dont like the chinese fairings but WHY are they made out of an inferior material? and what are the stockers made of just fiberglass?

either way he said he might just buy unpainted parts and get my WHOLE bike painted freshly for me... he works at a shop and can get it done pretty cheap i think.

anyway, there is this add on ebay
999 Superhawk VTR1000F right side fairing cowling UPPER | eBay

made in TX and looks good, but i would need the upper as well...

does sharkskinz make street fairings?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
OEM plastics are made from ABS plastic and the advantage is that they are relatively flexible before they break/shatter/crack but the material doesn't give them immunity from gravel rash wearing through the finish. If they do break then plastic welding and getting refinished is an acceptable option.

Glassfibre in comparison is more brittle but fixable with more glass fibre and filler in a scrape. Hence their popularity on racetrack hacks as they can be cobbled back together, not pretty but they do the job.

chinese fairings but WHY are they made out of an inferior material?
To keep the costs down and give themselves a profit margin.

As your mate is paying, and if it was an insurance standard job why not get a factory panel as it was before rather than a mix-and-match bodge job (okay if you were doing it on a limited budget). If you go the whole respray (back to factory finish? will that include OEM decals etc) as the finish will have an effect on the bike's potential resale value.

Last edited by Wicky; 10-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response wickey

i dont honestly know i will need to talk to him about the repaint, he said he was going to make it better than before and i feel like the sharkskinz street fairing may be a good way to go, and get it all painted with the original honda decals and a few new additions