Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

my best friend crashed my superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
my best friend crashed my superhawk

yup just as the title says, my best friend crashed my bike tonight, he is sending me pictures tonight but it sounds like it will need all new front fairings... i dont have full coverage but he said he is gonna pay for everything, where should i go for the BEST replacement fairings? is my only option the chinese ones?

i will let you know more when i figure stuff out
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
best option is piece by piece here or on ebay.

Also if oem isn't number one priority then sharkskins has a one piece design thats not too expensive. I actually miss my sharkskin fairing a lot, it blew up in the last massive put down and got replaced with some free oem parts RIP sharkskins.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i thought about that when i let someone ride the bike because no collision either. check forks and triples cause they bend easily.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
It's always a "you break it, you bought it" understanding with me. If he's got a bike, i'd be riding that until he fixes yours...

There's only a select few that I let ride my bikes.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by matt365
It's always a "you break it, you bought it" understanding with me. If he's got a bike, i'd be riding that until he fixes yours...

There's only a select few that I let ride my bikes.
yeah.....situations like this often define the quality of a relationship in a way that otherwise might not manifest itself.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Shouldn't you re-title the post "ex-bestfriend". Cmon, he's been planning this since you hooked up with his girlfriend in 6th grade. How could you fall for such a poorly concealed trap?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Actually I let my friend borrow my bike for a couple months, he crashed it too, I forgave him and told him it was no big deal. I lent him some money here and there (hard times right), then he left me hanging dry at work, stole my companies client, and de-friended me on facebook just to say thank you in that extra special way. Gotta love good friends.

Hopefully you pal does the right thing, or at least that if you forgive him and fix it yourself your friend is a good enough one to at least show some appreciation. Maybe friends on our bikes might not be a good idea.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM
MotoGP

many years of experience have taught me that true friendship is an illusion until that is disproved, and opportunities for this rarely occur during a lifetime; otherwise friends are merely acquaintances, colleagues, buddies, or most often, players. Patience over time may allow history to provide the answer, but usually not.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Wow, SUCH jaded views in here, hell just about friendships, I can't even imagine the views of love.....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
Wow, SUCH jaded views in here, hell just about friendships, I can't even imagine the views of love.....
It sounds like you've never been married.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Squid

dehning is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Really sorry about your bike Bearshawk, I know it's always a conflict for me to lend out my bikes and also why I just flat won't lend our my favorite (CBR1100xx).

That being said, if you do end up getting Chinese fairings, I'll vouch for the fact that they aren't that bad After the first scratch or two they are all the same, you're just glad for spending less in the beginning.

Here are the Chinese ones I JUST put on:

Last edited by inderocker; 10-04-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Fixed photo spacing
Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You have to be very careful who you loan your vehicle to.

If they crash into somebody else, it goes on your insurance, at least here in CA. I found that out when I rear ended a car in my wife's '86 Toyota 4x4 pickup (that's another story, only $300 damage to my wife's truck, $3000 to the Geo Prism that I hit). I got home and called my insurance company, and the representative told me that the claim attaches to the vehicle, not the driver.

That didn't make my wife too happy, since it went on her record, mine stayed clean. We consolidated our insurance the next year. We'd only been married for a couple of years then.

Edit: Having said that, I also have a friend since high school, who's been riding for over 45 years, and he works in the m/c industry. I wouldn't hesitate to loan my bike to him.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 10-04-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mertechperformance
sorry it may sound depressing because my description of friendship is not characterized by subjective feelings of warm and fuzzy excitations, but more of an objective understanding of years of dealing with all kinds of people in many and varied situations and relationships. Most common friendship characterizations I've found is "a friend in need is a friend indeed", and that's probably why the wealthy find it difficult to separate the friends from the pretenders.

although I was raised a catholic, i am somewhere between atheist and agnostic, but no where near amoral. In fact, as a personal philosophy, i live by "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "love thy neighbor as thyself". So if you have me or someone like me for a friend, you'll have no difficulty predicting our behavior.

funny coincident the night before last at auto zone when i stopped in to grab some delvac. A guy came in with a battery an hour before closing and asked the clerk to charge it for him. He was rather disconcerted about some of his friends, the latest of whom borrowed his charger and cables last week and didn't return them, and now wasn't answering his phone. This caused him a lot of inconvenience, running around wasting time and gas. I chimed in with similar "lending to friends" experiences resulting in tools that never came back and eventually disappearing altogether, etc. etc.

after discussing some various resoultions, we agreed on this option/pact. From this point onward, when a friend asks to borrow a tool/other, you quickly compute what it would cost to replace it, including the trouble of not having it and going to get one, and require that amt as a security deposit. In other words, $100 for a $75 torque wrench for example, this amt to be retrieved upon return of the tool, i.e., unless you had to buy another one in the meantime. Kinda like pawn shop in reverse. haha. This new modus operandi is designed to mitigate and/or hopefully eliminate the disappearing tool syndrome and the chasing down your so-called "friends" when you need to get your **** or your money back.

Not too jaded i hope, just experience gleaned the real way. now ya wanna hear about love? haha
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
If he muffed up nice OEM fairings then he should be replacing them with nice OEM fairings... not an inferior Chinese body kit.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by inderocker
If he muffed up nice OEM fairings then he should be replacing them with nice OEM fairings... not an inferior Chinese body kit.

this without a doubt.........never lend a vehicle to anyone.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
What does your front fairing look like? Is it totally thrashed? Looking for a streetfighter project fairing to practice on.

Miguel
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Oh please, a vehicle is just a thing. I'd be far more worried about the friend than the bike. Heck I am lending a vehicle to a friend now, and in the past had lent my superhawk to another friend for over a month. Just call your insurance before you lend the vehicle so that they are aware of what is going on and it won't be a legal issue. And if he is willing to fix the bike, let him fix it before you start raggin on the quality of the fix. Suggest sharkskinz if you don't want chinese.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM
MotoGP

Do you need any other parts or just fairings? Hey Nath you may be an honorary New Yorker...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
It's motorcycle?

Hell its only a motorcycle, I hope your friend is ok, not injured in anyway.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
.....Not too jaded i hope, just experience gleaned the real way. now ya wanna hear about love? haha
Nath...you having a bad day or something?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Superstock

WOW so many responses.

well first off, he has been my best friend for basically our whole lives, we grew up rippin on go-karts and mini bikes together, i was his best man and he will be mine. like a few of you said im more glad he was not hurt than anything, the car he hit was a friends girlfirends anyway, she was driving and stepped on the brake mid left hand turn and he grabbed a handful of throttle while hitting the brakes and he barely hit her driver side rear with the rt side of my bike so no front end damage really he stayed on the bike and it never went down. the rt fairing, blinker and that is all that it seems to be... he is going to pay for everything and even said if my insurance goes up he will write me another check to compensate the difference

luckily i already have his bike, im in college and he came down to visit (2 hr drive) and i suggested we swap bikes for a week, he has a honda shadow and i thought it would be fun on a cruiser for a week. so it was my idea to begin with.

ah well! and anyways its not like he crashed my duc 1098 into pieces...lets be honest our bikes unless highly modified arent worth that much street value wise (still wont ever sell mine though!!! :P )
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Superstock

here is the pics guys

like i said it doesnt SEEM too bad. but we will see once i get there and check it out, he is a mechanic by trade and will be able to help me figure out the mounting brackets and such if need-be
Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Superstock

also at least its nearing the end of the riding season here in MN this week i think is a fluke

and im content riding my newly completed kz650 with hopped up 750 build

Name:  P2180079.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  98.9 KB

this picture was before the clubman bars, barend mirrors, and freshly ceramic coated kerker pipe
Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Squid

dehning is on a distinguished road
As far as the fairings go, it's an academic discussion between aftermarket and OEM since it looks like only the right side is damaged (Honda part # 64230-MBB-A20ZA) and that costs $263.66 from Service Honda which in turn is a little more than half what the aftermarket fairings cost.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hey Nath you may be an honorary New Yorker...
well thank you very much joe!

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Nath...you having a bad day or something?
No, this is a good day. I'll let it up to you to imagine what i would have written if I were having a bad day. And don't get any ideas about giving me a hug or something perverted like that, esp disgusting from an old guy with yeller teeth.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

So I dug up this audio of Nate's last job interview Jerky Boys - Auto Mechanic - YouTube

Besides, you go down to the local bar & you get yourself a new best friend & you move on with your life...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Not too bad of damage, lucky for both your friend and yourself.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I dug up this audio of Nate's last job interview Jerky Boys - Auto Mechanic - YouTube

Besides, you go down to the local bar & you get yourself a new best friend & you move on with your life...
geez joe, I thought you were my friend. One minute you bestow an honorary award from your home city and the next your trashing me>>>>>>>>Prozac is supposed to be the anti-dote for modulating this condition.

I'll take your advice on getting a new friend at the bar. Sounds like you might have some experience with this strategy. Thanks for sharing this with me. Could be a win-win, even if you don't find a new friend, you'll still end up feeling good; that is, unless you're there.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
That's a pretty decent looking smack to stay on the bike
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Hell its only a motorcycle, I hope your friend is ok, not injured in anyway.
Obviously the friend is "OK" or the man would have written "Stupid ex-friend kills himself on MY S-hawk"
Noting -All the upgrades you have done on "YOUR" S-hawk.. Would you let, "your" friend wreck it and the mis-match-it back together- on your dime, and at his convinents ? ?

Read it above(somewhere) "You ride, and break it (take the responsibility), you bought, or pay for it to fix it...

Yes, it is a motorcycle.. But not "just" a motorcyle- it was his motorcycle..
If the friend , is much of a friend.. He would put the bike back in the man's hand exactly, or better than he "borrowed" the bike..
IMO.. (remember your morals)

Quick Reply: my best friend crashed my superhawk