Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Mod'd Ventura Rack to fit with TBR High Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Squid

lifeofadvntr is on a distinguished road
Mod'd Ventura Rack to fit with TBR High Pipes

Well....Got my rack and bag from Ventura today and got it installed on "Lil Red". The rack is sturdier than I expected, and the bag holds quite a bit (51Litres) but I think I will add the zip on component bag as well (31L).

I really was not sure if I would be able to modify the rack to work with the TBR high mounts but it really was not that big of a deal and I like having the luggage now, but still having the aggressive look of the high mounts .

I will give a brief overview of the mod in case anyone else is thinking about it and will post a few pics. Total install was about 4.5 hours including the "brain drain" process and I am sure someone else has probably already done it better, and posted it on here but I was too stupic to look first

1) Remove rear seat assembly, turn signals, the upper hanger bracket bolt,(lower bolt should be loosened) & remove bolts to mud flap / inner seat.
2) Test fit supplied Ventura bracket marking the area to be removed.
3) Grind the tube down to approximately 50 deg leaving at least half of the tube intact to seat arount the hanger bracket tube.
4) Heat the flange of the Ventura bracket and offset the flange approx 1/8" to the outside (about the thickness of a 1/2" washer). Clean up all the edges with a file and sandpaper then prime & paint the end (I used a heat gun to speed up the drying process).
5) Place a 3/8 washer between the tail frame / and Ventura bracket, adjust hanger bracket to fit over Ventura and bolt up (I used a touch of loctite on all the fastners).
6). Mount the top of the bracket to the hole left from the mud flap bolt (with supplied hardware).
7) Install turn signals at integrated mounting points on Ventura ( I had to rewire mine because the LP turn signals had really short wires).
8) Duplicate on opposite side
9) Install top rack or grab handle.

Well...hope that helps someone if they are interested in a Ventura rack but are not sure if it will work with the high mounts. Now I just need a bigger tank bag. Anyone have any rec's for an expandable that fits good on the Hawk????

Cheers,
Old 06-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy Huge, Batman!!! V-Twin Goldwing!!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been thinking about adding a rack and rear case since I've seen them popping up here, but I'd have serious clearance issues with the Beetlebags I've got installed now... off to the drawing board I guess.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
A Suggestion... From someone that has had a Ventura Pak. The more you load in the Ventura the easier the VTR will wheelie. You can reduce that somewhat by mounting the pack 180 degrees from the way you have it mounted in the photo. It will hang over the passenger seat and won't be so tail heavy. Of course, this occupies the passenger area, but your not touring two-up on the VTR... are you?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Squid

lifeofadvntr is on a distinguished road
No plans for two up here... though I really had considered it for awhile but then changed my mind (decisions decisions). Yeah I found out how much easier it was to wheelie but, I have a couple of other things to put on there as well so I was trying to play around with fit. I will obviously put the heavier items against the passenger seat...lighter to the back of the rack.

...thanks for the advice.