Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Lower Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Lower Fairings

I have looked at lower fairings until my eyes are bleeding. I like a lot of what I see but IF I were to spend that much I would really want something that I like. I took a shot and doctored it in MS Paint. The idea is to have a full side fairing but open down the bottom middle to show off the new chrome header. The chin fairing would be permanently removed. The two side panels would be held in place by aluminum dowels that would run from one side to the other with screws in the ends. I haven't got a front picture to work with at the moment but this is what it would look like from the side. Comments?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
How would you make it, cut up something like a sharkskinz lower? I like the idea of showing off the header, but I personally am a fan of the superhawk's half fairing-showing off the header being one of the reasons. I like showing off some of the mechanicals and I think the lines of the half fairing flow really nice in line with the tailpiece. Again it's just my opinion and completely a matter of personal taste. I'm sure it will look cool though and I'm a big fan of when folks do something different as you're suggesting. A chrome header sounds really cool too. Hope you think that purple and gold coloring you'll get looks as cool as I do. I almost miss that look from my polished stock header because now my Jet Hot coated header almost has an "artificial" look to it. If you don't want the coloring though then Jet Hot is the way to go. Make sure to post pics when it's done.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

The header left for Jet-Hot yesterday. I never thought about them looking "artificial" because headers should always be chromed and if the header is chromed than it should be chrome all the way back to the last piece in the assembly. I'm having the "extreme" treatment and they are guaranteed not to rust or turn colors - nothing. They'll dump into a set of Jardine Hi Mounts that I picked up new and cheap. It will be chrome from end to end. That's why I want the bottom open all the way back. Construction - **** I have no clue. Maybe start with cardboard or masonite - cut-paste-clamp - maybe dummy something up with fiber over chicken wire. I think ultimately the side panel would be one piece that would start with the stock panel and then be welded to the additional section. And don't ask for drawings or parts :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh ok, I thought you were going to chrome plate it. No don't get me wrong I polished up my Jet Hot header after I got it and I stared at it the garage for about an hour because it looks like a showpiece. I guess I also like the heated look of a header when it turns gold and purple-looks like something importants going on there. It's like "WOW-that must be hot!" Anyway that will match the chrome midpipes really nice. I certainly don't think anyone likes the nasty *** brown the stock header turns it you don't polish it though. Cool, so it sounds like you're going to make your fairing from scratch.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

The only thing I noticed is mine turned kinda "gray" at hottest points just exiting the cylinder heads but it's no biggie and who knows how long that takes if at all-I got mine used off a track/racebike.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

I think I will make a mock up and then take it to a shop and then bribe them with regular beer and occasional cash. This is sorta like my blueprinted engine project for the Superhawk. Oh, I found out this week the block is coming next week or so. It will make an interesting paperweight in the meantime.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh **** please don't start talking about souping up the engine...I promised myself I'd leave mine alone. I already have two projects I'm not done with (the superhawk's one) and I have a line on another superhawk frame/engine/rads/swingarm that I want to add to the collection...speaking of paperweights.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

I was just thinking the other day you should be getting close to being back up on two! About got it wrapped up?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Don't ask I've been dragging *** so bad. All that's left to do (besides powdercoat the wheels which really doesn't count) is I wanted to move the radiators back because I want full steering lock and probably have to trim the insides of the fairings-they're new so I'm still building up courage which is still going to take a while. Probably do it on the sharkskinz I have first. And I want to take it to computrack which I think will be worth my piece of mind although it will be expensive I'm sure. I've been riding it for short rides a couple times a week (w/ the headlight and trim fairing and windscreen but without the side fairings which gives it a cool Aprilia Tuono look) so it doesn't sit. Also have another project going at the same time and of course life and work keeps happening too which always slows everything down. Hope to have it done in the near future-I can't wait-mainly so I can buy more **** and start more projects oh yeah so I can ride it too.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

Amen to that! But that's what keeps me in the game I guess! Dremel tool is a great thing but on new fairings ooo I would have to think about that a bunch! I have never fit fairings so I can imagine the difficulty. It's like you need fifteen other people in the room with you to hold this and that so you can fit it together. Good to hear you're back out there tho - that's what counts - you can always make it purty later!