Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Lockhart Phillips windscreen fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Lockhart Phillips windscreen fit?

A couple of weeks ago I got an LP windscreen, dark smoke stock replacement. I can't believe the improvement in looks, but it has a slight fit problem at the bottom of the screen where the little running light lives. There's a 1 to 2 mm gap at the top and on one side of the running light. Otherwise it looks great.

Has anyone else put a Lockhart Phillips stock replacement screen on their bike, and how is the fit?

I called LP and their guy said to bring my bike by and they will look at it (lucky for me LP is headquartered 5 miles from my house). But first I'd like to know if anyone here has had this problem. Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
A couple of weeks ago I got an LP windscreen, dark smoke stock replacement. I can't believe the improvement in looks, but it has a slight fit problem at the bottom of the screen where the little running light lives. There's a 1 to 2 mm gap at the top and on one side of the running light. Otherwise it looks great.

Has anyone else put a Lockhart Phillips stock replacement screen on their bike, and how is the fit?

I called LP and their guy said to bring my bike by and they will look at it (lucky for me LP is headquartered 5 miles from my house). But first I'd like to know if anyone here has had this problem. Thanks
Never messed with a LP b4 but did your scrren get put below your uprights(things that hold ther mirrors) i did that once with mine and had that same gap. after lookinf at it i figured out the screen goes between the uprights and the mirros on top. then it all worked fine....
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, but the Lockhart screen is cut out around the mirror mounts, so that is not a factor. But hey, I only paid $47 at the dealer for it, so I'll just have to see what they say at LP headquarters.

He said they've sold 9 VTR1000F screens so far this year.

What happened to your cat? Is it shaved?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 08-13-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
One thing I noticed with my aftermarket DB is how it mounts. The stock screen had recessed holes for the mounting nuts(well nuts). The aftermarket just had holes. So using the stock well nuts caused a slight gap between the screen and bodywork. Just something to maybe check before you ride over there.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, but it fits flush enough to the fairing. The gap is just on the outer edges of the running light. I'm going up there tomorrow, its just 10 minutes away.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
bought mine from LP in 2000. It had the same issue. I don't even notice it now.