Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

INTEGRATED REAR LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Squid

tangostorm is on a distinguished road
INTEGRATED REAR LIGHT

Hi all i really fancy one of those clear integrated rear lights you know the one,s with the indicators/turn signals built in.Does anyone have one fitted and what do you think of it.Does it flash bright enough,does it mist up inside when it,s raining etc because where i live it pisses of rain 8 months of the yearI dont get pissed i just kid myself it makes me a better riderAnyway any feedback would be great.Thanks troops
Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
I just got mine installed, I got a smoked one from Ebay pretty cheap. it looks great, installs very simply, and flashes pretty normaly.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by HisHawkiness
I just got mine installed, I got a smoked one from Ebay pretty cheap. it looks great, installs very simply, and flashes pretty normaly.
Cheers mate will you let me know if it starts misting up.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Got mine on about a month ago. The LED's are super bright and I left the small LED turn signal stalks on so I have 4 signals in the rear. Haven't ridden it in the rain or washed it since really so can't comment on the fogging inside. I don't think it would be very noticeable if they did cause of the designs in the glass. Mine's a Clear Alternatives.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Got mine on about a month ago. The LED's are super bright and I left the small LED turn signal stalks on so I have 4 signals in the rear. Haven't ridden it in the rain or washed it since really so can't comment on the fogging inside. I don't think it would be very noticeable if they did cause of the designs in the glass. Mine's a Clear Alternatives.
Many thanx HOTBRAKES
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had mine for a little over a year. its brighter than stock blinkers, and hasn't fogged up on me yet.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Did yours come from Ebay? Couldn't find a "clear alternatives" specified, but the ebay sellers are using the picture off the clear alternatives web page. Friends are telling me no one can see the integrated ones on my mototech undrtail so I'm thinking adding an integrated tail light will help, but it must be bright.
If the Ebay units are the same I'd really like to save some coin
Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the ebay units. I got mine from a member here. The lights I've seen on Ebay didn't have the built in turn signals so watch what you are getting.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
SuperSport

Got my ebay integrated signal LED brake light and I think it is great. I don't have a Clear Alternatives to compare it too, but it seems plenty bright to me.
No instructions, but it wasn't rocket science...

I will point out to anyone else with a Mototech undertail that although the integrated turn signals look bright enough, they are focused way out to the side - at least mine were. People in back of me could not see my turn signals blinking unless they knew just where to look. I also have a yellow bike, perhaps that acts as camouflage. I got this integrated tail light to make my signals more visible. I am now running both. Seems to do the trick.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I just installed my mototeck and it works great (looks bright like you said) just debating whether or not to install my integrated tail and have both or just the smoked tail? my undertail doesnt fit so well for some reason I guess I'll just run both for the time being and see how I like it and worse comes to worse eliminate my undertail because of the fitment and my high mounts have some weird bracket that I had to jimmyrig my undertail
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Any LED blinker will increase the flash rate. LEDs have less resistance than incandescent bulbs, and this affects the standard flasher.

You can adjust this one of two ways. Either add resistors as needed to slow the blink rate with the OEM flasher. Or replace the flasher (easier) with one that isn't affected by different bulb resistances.

Finally, you can just let them blink fast if the new flash rate is acceptable to you.

As for the quality of the various parts. I have one of the cheapies off ebay ($40+shipping IIRC) and it has worked fine for years. Others have not had the same luck.

With any of the integrated setups it is hard for those following you to tell which direction you are signaling from more than about 40ft back. I added blinkers to my passenger pegs to help out those who might want to run into me otherwise.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Cheap ones off eBay are fine IMO. Even have plate light. Flash rate doesn't even change much depending on what you do up front. I never followed myself so I don't know about the turn signal clarity issue. The blinker is yellow and sequential while the other half of the taillight stays solid red, but you are getting no separation so there could be confusion. Hence probably not DOT without other signals. Don't let anybody ever get that close!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Lazn what leds and epoxy? Did you use? I have some hotbodies flushmounts laying around but they don't seem very bright next to my protons, those things will give you a siezure in strobe mode!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
MotoGP

I just used some LEDs from Cyclegear, and they light up the ground behind me at night.. plenty bright, but not blinding.

As for attaching them: they came with double sided tape that I supplemented with RTV black Silicone. Since they weigh a few grams at most and would take a fair bit of force to remove I am not worried about losing them.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
Thanks, lazn.

I assume all those integrated lights also serve as plate lights, am I right?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by dannyz
Thanks, lazn.

I assume all those integrated lights also serve as plate lights, am I right?
Most do, the one I got does.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Squid

psyclown is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a installation walkthrough for these lights? The PO of my bike botched the install and the horn/blinkers don't work and the brake light stays on constantly.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
MotoGP

it was very straight forward for the one I got.

Bolt light to fairing. Keep one of the brake light plugs from OEM light and use it to connect the brake wiring. Plug in the wires for blinkers. Done.

If the wiring is backwards for the blinkers (positive and negative) they won't work so try swapping them, but there really isn't much to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

Originally Posted by psyclown
Anyone have a installation walkthrough for these lights? The PO of my bike botched the install and the horn/blinkers don't work and the brake light stays on constantly.
I had a problem with mine when repairing fairing damage and hooking up the front signals wrong. Thought the circuit board had been damaged in the wreck, but everything was fine once the three wire fronts were sorted out. If horn is involved you may have more problems though. Plug is reversible, but i think it just doesn't work at all backwards.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Squid

Bandit00085 is on a distinguished road
I plan on getting one from motodynamics here is the one for the superhawk

http://www.motodynamic.com/product_i...products_id=30

but I have the r6 tail so I'm going to put this one in

http://www.motodynamic.com/product_i...roducts_id=187

They are cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to try one and they have detailed intructions for installing tehm on the website.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Squid

Ok I have the brake light working properly. The switch just needed adjusted. The Turn signals still dont work though. I tried bypassing the turn signal relay, checked the fuse, checked the wiring to the tail light, and clean the connections at the handle bar switch and still nothing.

Right now I have front fairing off and so the front signals are off as well. Any chance that there needs to be a complete circuit from front and back turn signals for them to work? (reads- Do the front turn signals need to be pluged in for the rear turn signals to work?)

Last edited by psyclown; 02-01-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Squid

Bandit00085 is on a distinguished road
The signals should work without the fronts plugged in. They just blink faster. you might check continuity through the switch. The contacts in the switch might be corroded. Had to fix this problem on several bikes. All that stuff hooks up in that front bunch of connectors so you might have a bad connection in there to. Your best bet is to get out the wiring schematics and start at one end of the circuit and start checking continuity through each wire until you find the problem.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Squid

Sounds good thanks for the input Bandit. Didn't get into it too much this weekend due to the temp being in the teens, which means I'll probably slowly check it here and there throughout the week.

I was pretty happy to realize that I had the clear alternitives integrated brake light. The front signals are flush mount led's too so once I get the wiring all squared away it will look great.

Last edited by psyclown; 02-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Squid

GOT IT! loose connection
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

Glad you found it
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit00085
I plan on getting one from motodynamics here is the one for the superhawk

http://www.motodynamic.com/product_i...products_id=30
Anywhere else that has this? I can't find it and that link says "out of stock no eta."
Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

I have this one, not from this source but this is even cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...ht_1925wt_1046
Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link Pete. My rear signal lights (part of the undertail) are not overly visible so I just ordred one of these and will use it along with my signals, should make it safer for me to ride with the retards that fill the roads around Montreal....
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM
SuperSport

Huh, same retards 200 miles south. Must be a migration thing...
You'll like the combination with the mototeck. Perfectly visible together.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
You'll like the combination with the mototeck. Perfectly visible together.
thanks for the input; it's what I was hoping.

cheers

Quick Reply: INTEGRATED REAR LIGHT