Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"

I've been asked a couple times to do a write up on the handlebar mounted choke install and the Euro pass switch install, so here they are all wrapped up in one thread.

I started by picking up a Euro 2004 VFR left hand switch assembly from eBay. The 2005 VTR switch uses the same case as the VFR so this made it a bit simpler for me, but you can easily make due with the VFR switch and parts from your old VTR switch. The plugs on the VFR switch were completely different from my VTR, but all I really needed was the top half with the pass switch and the Hi/Lo switch.

I first removed the Hi/Lo switch from both assembly's, 3 screws total.

Next, I made a note of the location of the Hi/Lo wires in the coupler

Using a small pick, push down on the lock tab on each terminal. Once removed be sure to bend them back so they will stay inserted in thier new home.

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-003.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-004.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-006.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-008.jpg  

Last edited by inderocker; 02-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

I then taped the wires of the VFR Hi/Lo/Pass switches together to feed through the wire sheath on my VTR switch assembly.

For some reason, the VFR Hi/Lo switch does not have the white wire that the VTR needs for the low beam to operate, so I had to steal that wire from my old switch and solder it onto the VFR switch. I also added a dab of epoxy to make sure everything would stay in place... no need to lose the headlights in the middle of the night, right?

Reinstall the switch and the connect the brown/blue wire coming from the pass switch to the black/red wire going to the right hand switch assembly. Done.

I also did the same swap using a 98-2004 VTR switch and a Euro VTR switch. Those two are basically the same, except the top portion has provisions for the pass, on/off and a different hi/lo switch. All I had to do on that switch was swap the turn signal switch as the Euro switch is not wired for marker lights, and add a jumper wire from the pass switch to the black/red wire on the right hand switch assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-009.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-012.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-013.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-014.jpg  

Last edited by inderocker; 02-05-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

The Handlebar mounted choke is easy as pie too. I robbed a choke lever from a '97 VFR and a choke cable from a '00 VT1100C3. I used the first half of the VT cable in conjunction with the 2nd half of the VTR cable. The second half on the VT cable is not long enough for the VTR, the carbs are too far apart.

The 1 into 2 junction was similar for both models, but it was easier to use the VTR's for some reason (I forget why, did this mod a month ago).

The actual cable for the Vt is a tad short, so i had to drill a new hole 5mm closer (away from the lever) in the choke lever for the cable.

I also wanted to run the cable in front of the fork leg, which is where it would of been routed in stock form, so I had to get creative with the cable routing under the airbox.

I then cut a hole in that removable plastic piece of the carb tray for the cable.

Done!
Attached Thumbnails Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-015.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-016.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-017.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-018.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-019.jpg  

Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
MotoGP

The finished product..

You can expect at least a 10-15 hp gain with these mods.
Attached Thumbnails Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-020.jpg   Handlebar Mounted Choke & Euro Pass Switch - A Quick "How To"-021.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
very nice write up.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker

You can expect at least a 10-15 hp gain with these mods.

Yer just braggin, without before/after dyno charts!

Rex
Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Back Marker

motormouth is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1999 SH and i wanted to do this conversion . I do not have the pass switch on my assembly . Could i still use the VFR assembly ? I am assuming you were using the Euro switch because of this passing switch . Could i just use the stock (US) Honda parts for this mod ? Thanks . Any info appreciated .
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
MotoGP

You can still use the VFR switch but you'll still have to use the VTR plugs.