Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Full-Tank bra??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Squid

Z-Unit is on a distinguished road
Full-Tank bra??

Hello,

I have a black 98 SHawk and I'm trying to make it a little more stealth . . . but on the cheap. (Maybe paint the frame and swingarm black, smoke signals, windscreen, etc) I'm not a huge fan of the bright red graphics, so I'm taking off the "SuperHawk 996" on the front. I thought that I would try to look for a leather bra type thing that will cover the entire tank (basically to cover up the big red wings) rather than a new paint job. Any ideas? Also, is there a good scratch removal system for light scratches in paint or is a Color-Rite touch up pen the way to go?

sorry for the long message . . . too much winter, too much time!

Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Hey man, I think you should take the tank and body work off and paint it satin (primer) black, and Put the same colour, maybe a shade higher, flat black factory decals on it. Painting the tank and body work a flat colour would be pretty easy.. very forgiving. This would give you that Navy Fighter Lo-Vis combat look.

Or Buy some black, gunmetal or dark silver overlays from Tapeworks, they will fit right over your factory markings, and if you want to take them off later it's not too bad. i think Black with Mirror Silver would look kick ***
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey Z-Unit, check out ebay item number: 300064962121
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Or, you could just re-paint!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:43 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Galaxieman
Or, you could just re-paint!
That looks so mean I love it! I have a set of sharkskinz I've been saving for a future project/track bike that I've wanted to paint flat black and kinda be able to swap out-kinda like a change of clothes. By the way how do you like those beetle bags? Seem like a good place to hide a little nitrous
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Mag-Knight has some interesting material that they sell by the sheet too! I just got one of their pre-cut tank bras but it appears and sounds like you could sculpt this stuff anyway you would like. Because it's magnetic you can take if off when you want but it won't stick to plastic.

www.mag-knight.com
Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Bagster also makes a full tank cover I believe.

here ya go:
http://www.bagster.com/es/moto/catal...1330U&idprod=1
Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
By the way how do you like those beetle bags? Seem like a good place to hide a little nitrous
The beetlebags are great, especially at the price I got them for (used/rashed when I bought them). With fiberglass and paint I've got just over $300 invested. $1k new from Corbin is highway robbery. $500 new would be more appropriate, and they'd probably sell a lot better. Always having my rain gear and having another 1 1/3 bags of space is great for the daily commute. Backpack? I don't need no steenkin backpack!

I've currently got a stock red tank back on the bike because the VFR tank in that photo developed a leak. So now I've got a bashed stock tank and I'm going to have the petcock mount from that welded onto the VFR tank, along with the mounting bracket. Now that it's winter, I may actually get my butt in gear getting that project restarted...
Old 12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Squid

Z-Unit is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I'm not going to repaint right now. I'll either get flat black overlays (possibly with a flat black racing stripe down the middle) or go with the full bagster. Money's pretty tight, so I'll have to contemplate.

Thanks for the replies. This site is great!
-Z