Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Finally-A mirror solution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Finally-A mirror solution!

Looks pretty good, does the rubber gasket line up well? It looks like there's alot more area without the tear drop design of the superhawk mirrors.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

8) lots of them on ebay some after market some stock for around fifty bucks.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I also tried the R1 mirrors and as Fred mentioned about the R6's, I saw too much elbow so I kept looking. I have been using FZ1 mirrors which are longer still. I have a comparison picture of the the R1 vs FZ1 on another computer (I'm at a hotel pool using a wireless laptop and sipping on a heineken: burp! work doesn't always suck! ) so this is the only picture I have at the moment.

You get no elbow with these (I'm 5'10" and have VFR bars if that matters) but I did have to use the superhawk mounts since the FZ, just as with the R1, have a folding stop detent that brings them too close in. The R6's don't have this? Because of the VTR mount, I did need to trim some of the rubber cover for a better fit.

FYI, I'm using one yamaha and one emgo mirror and they are both the same as far as vibration and looks go. The OEM does have a slight edge in glass quality but not near enough to justify the cost difference.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

Both the R1 and FZ1 have a detent stop which is the mirror's normal "locked" position yet it can still fold in further if needed for clearance, a cover, etc. In this locked position, those mirrors were too close to the fairing thus giving me a rear view almost as bad if not worse than stock. You could push them out for a better view but at high speeds they would push in too easy.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point

Fred/Doug,
The older style R1/R6 mirrors do have the "detent" problem. Evidently the mounting angle for Yamahas is vastly different than for the SH.
I overcame this by folding back the rubber base covers, drilling a small hole in the pivot's base, and sliding a small pin into the hole to limit rotation. I had the pins in my tool box already, they're about the same size as a pivot pin for a bicycle chain. I later bought some brass rod stock at Home Depot (about $2), and cut some pieces to fit with a "moto-tool". The fix took about 15-20 minutes, and the resulting view looks about like Fred's picture 4; still a little elbow, but a lot more road behind you.
I'd like even less view of my elbows, but don't want to spend the money for an FZ1 set, unless it's a LOT better. I'd love to see the pic of your view, Doug.
I also have VFR bars; had 750s, moved to 800s to fit a Throttlemeister I had from my HawkGT. Put the 750s on "Jr" (my HawkGT) for a perfect fit.
No real change in view even with higher bars, and I've tried 4 sets (Heli, VFR750 & 800, HawkGT).
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice lookin' ride, 'bling. Tastefully cool!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Squid

Monomaster

I bought these Avanti Carbo Mirrors...

The surface area of the mirror is longer than the standard mirror, so you end up looking below your arm (under the elbow) to see behind instead of trying to look around the outside.

You can see the shape of the mirror here....

Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
How much for the R6 mirrors and the Avanti mirrors?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Squid

Monomaster
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
How much for the R6 mirrors and the Avanti mirrors?
Avanti mirrors were $295us...!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

does anyone know where i can get a set of r6 mirrors with integrated turnsignals.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

ebay item
Old 05-20-2005, 01:03 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you want the longer ones?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah

yeah i found those, but i wanted the longer ones, the guy who had a set on his vtr won't respond to emails as to where he got them, that *******. Why wouldn't you just say you couldn't remember instead of ignore me? he responded once with some bullcrap of every bit of info except who made them or where to get them.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

you wouldn't happen to have any side pics of those r6 mirrors on your bike would you?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Hi,
I've bought 2 used R6 2004 mirrors (for 40$ us :-) ). They fit well but still elbow !
The R6 2004 (and 2003) do have the detent problem.
I don't know for 2005 but I guess it is the same .....
You can change the angle but at high speeds the mirror will return back to its locked position.
So I tried with the locked position and adjust at the end : you can see the road but still elbow.
It's a little better than stock but not enough for me ...

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
I did have to use the superhawk mounts since the FZ, just as with the R1, have a folding stop detent that brings them too close in. The R6's don't have this? Because of the VTR mount, I did need to trim some of the rubber cover for a better fit.
Can you explain a little more ?
Do you mean you used the base part of the VTR mirrors with the upper part of the FZ mirrors ?
Is it possible for R1/R6 mirrors ?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 AM
MotoGP

Yes, you can use the superhawk base with either the R1, R6, or FZ1 stalk/mirror with modifications.

You drill out the pin in the yamaha design and take apart. Also, drill out the hole in the yamaha stalk as it's a tad too small for the honda bolt design. The VTR's assembly simply unbolts, no drilling need. Next, bolt up the VTR's base and pivot bolt to the yamaha's stalk/mirror assembly. Bolt to bike. Done.

This will solve your detent and wind problem but the R1/R6 mirrors are still a tad to short to really solve the problem; however, they are better than the stock bits. Also, my R1's set a little too low like this for my tastes but others liked them.T he FZ1's are MUCH wider and totally eliminate elbow problems.

You can get a pair of aftermarket emgo FZ1 reproduction mirrors on ebay for about $40/pair. I have both one emgo and one yamaha oem and they are very close in overall build/quality. The OEM is a tad better but not for the insane amount of money they costs.

There's a pic comparing the FZ1 vs the R1 in this thread. In the third picture, the FZ1 is on the left (bikes right mirror) and the R1 is on the right:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=851

Also, some guys have modded the yamaha pivot mount to remove the detent but I've forgotten how they did it. Maybe you could just drill out the stock pin and insert a proper size bolt/nut to lock it down in the correct position. Thus, you would still use the yamaha base and not having to cut the rubber cover to fit with the VTR base.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

If I modify the R6 mirrors to remove the detent, don't you think the mirrors will not move as designed in case of crash ?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

It depends on how YOU modify them. If going by my method stated above, you tightened it up enough that the wind won't move them but you can still move them by hand. If you need to move them quite frequently, like when using a tight fitting bike cover, then they will eventually loosen up requiring periodic tightening.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Yep ! Understood now !
I have modded them easily like you said.
I've drilled the pin at the base part of the R6 mirrors, replaced it by a bolt/nut, added a "slice" to avoid the detent mechanism to work (little pads that are blocking each other) and then tightened it to support speed and wind but still able to move back in case of "fitting bike cover" like you said.
It works great !
15 minutes to do it !

I will let you know how it works riding the bike and how much my elbows lose weight ! ;-)
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
MotoGP

Great!

See you in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:17 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

I've tested this morning.
It's better.
But to be honest, with my leather jacket with protectors at elbows, I still have a little elbow.
Seems that, to completely eradicate this problem, the FZ1S mirrors are the good option ;-)
Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Squid

Dutch

I don't remember who posted the phrase initially but I just wanted to say I still think of it at least once a day on my ride to work when I check my mirrors and say, "Damn my elbows are sexy". Gets me every time.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

I've mounted FZ1S used mirrors. It definetly works better than R6 mirrors.
Have bought them about 40$ and sold R6 mirrors the same price.

Works great now !

Quick Reply: Finally-A mirror solution!