Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Exhaust component source or repair?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Exhaust component source or repair?

So I have a Leo Vince carbon exhaust that took some hits in my crash..

Anyone know where you can source and purchase those metal bands?

Or of a shop that would repair, or replicate that mid pipe?

I've written to Pipe repair and Fusion USA in the US and MHP in the UK.. No response yet
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust component source or repair?-img_4770.jpg   Exhaust component source or repair?-img_4767.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Where's captainchaos? He seems to be the exhaust refurb guru.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Erik, when I cleaned my Yoshies, I replaced those bands. Give me the diameter of the pipe, and I'll let you know if they compare.

I think I may also have a spare.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Erik, when I cleaned my Yoshies, I replaced those bands. Give me the diameter of the pipe, and I'll let you know if they compare.

I think I may also have a spare.
Jack, thanks

Diameter is 346mm with rivet hole spacing of 58mm

Of note Leo Vince USA returned my email.... and said, sorry, not in production no parts available.

Of note 2; Fusion One Fusion One Home of the $60 Pipe Repair returned a contact form... and made a very reasonable offer to repair the mid pipe... the will remove the dent, weld up the scratches and grind/sand/ buff the pipe back to respectable condition.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Sorry Erik, rivet hole spacing is 45mm. You would need to drill new holes, and some of the old ones would probably show up in the openings.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Sorry Erik, rivet hole spacing is 45mm. You would need to drill new holes, and some of the old ones would probably show up in the openings.
Thanks////\\\\\

Im thinking I'll use a piece of 10mm wide solid strip of stainless steel ...and drill the rivet holes where needed.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:17 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Fill & Freeze

Erik,

Did you see Greg N's thread on filling with water and freezing technique?

Nice link for Fusion One USA, Thx
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Erik,

Did you see Greg N's thread on filling with water and freezing technique?

Nice link for Fusion One USA, Thx
I have used the freezing and heat with air pressure on thin wall off road pies for years, and had results from good to what the hell happened,

On the heavery wall street bike pipes the results are less good... Im sure I could get it to work,,,,but if I screw it up, the pipe is not replaceable.

Next is, even if I get the dent out, I don't currently have a way to TIG stainless steel... That is how you fix the scratches, weld filler in, grind/sand/polish
Fusion has agreed to take on the project for reasonable cost..
And a place in the UK is interested in repairing both the mid pipe and the can.

However, a fellow SH forum member has just told me he can duplicate the band if I send it to him... With that piece of the puzzle figured out Im all set.

Fusion will repair the mid pipe
Marquez racing will repair the can with some help from a friend.

And then i can swap the low mount Yoshimura pipes on the SH now and get my nice Carbon High Mounts back on.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 03-07-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Fusion has agreed to take on the project for reasonable cost..

How muchy?

However, a fellow SH forum member has just told me he can duplicate the band if I send it to him... With that piece of the puzzle figured out Im all set.

That's nice of him

And then i can swap the low mount Yoshimura pipes on the SH now and get my nice Carbon High Mounts back on.
You like the latter for looks and function or only the former as I thought the Yosh's put out some comparable numbers. Personally, I like low-mounts for luggage clearance but if that's not a concern...
Old 03-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
You like the latter for looks and function or only the former as I thought the Yosh's put out some comparable numbers. Personally, I like low-mounts for luggage clearance but if that's not a concern...
I don't do luggage on the SH (and after my Iron Butt ride to Indy for Moto GP, I dont do long distance on the SH EVER...lol)

And yes I really like the carbon high mounts visually over the low mount Stainless Yosh cans.

Having not run them back to back on this bike I don't know which will put down better numbers
Old 03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I don't do luggage on the SH (and after my Iron Butt ride to Indy for Moto GP, I dont do long distance on the SH EVER...lol)
What do you tour on?

I have my VTR set up as a sport tourer (if I ever had the time to ride more than a 750 mile weekend).

Which Indy MotoGP? From Chicago it's normally only about 200 miles and 3.5 hours there by slab, except of course when I returned from the 2008 race. They called the MotoGP race early due to a mini tornado and Rossi won and said he was never so happy to get through a race!

Not so much an Iron Butt, more Death Race 2000 due to flooding, closed roads, no cops to direct detours, micro-bursts and water spouts, night during the day due to sideways rain, 110 mph winds, knee high through water frustration, hypothermia and soaked despite wearing a Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit and a rain suit.

200 miles, 12 hours!!

Sept. 12-14, 2008: Double tropical trouble floods Chicago - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Of course in Texas I'm sure you've had more than 10 inches of rain in 2 days. Heck, you probably get that in an hour because everything's over-size in the big T.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Tour? Right now nothing for longer than 500 miles a day....and the SH for that and below. have no problem with 300 mile day rides on the SH....but longer than that is just not fun.
If I decide to do longer day rides I'll be building something for it.
Last years GP.... We had Industry pit and VIP passes plus box seats.. My wife flew up, i decided an Iron Butt ride was a good idea.....Ended up 1,225 or so miles in 23 hours... Was not horrible, but not fun... And why ride if not fun.
I was underdressed for part of it.. in full riding gear but the temps dropped lower than i planned.... I knew better, but was limited on space for gear, just a large Icon tank bag and my backpack.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
Did you ever get this part taken care of? I never got a response to the PM I sent you last week.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by waltr
Did you ever get this part taken care of? I never got a response to the PM I sent you last week.
Crap.. PM? I never saw it...

NO I did not find a source, YES I am still looking, YES I am going to go look at my PM's

Thanks