SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Coolant Resevoir re-location? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/coolant-resevoir-re-location-31713/)

Upland111 03-01-2014 08:29 PM

Coolant Resevoir re-location?

I wanted to re-locate my coolant reservoir, for more clearance to my thumb screws. I did a search, and could not find anything, but I find it hard to believe it has not been done.
It looks like the only location that would work is right above the oil filter, but it would take a homemade reservoir.
Appreciate your feedback.

smokinjoe73 03-01-2014 09:15 PM

Wow, guess its not so hard to believe.

I always have used like a poland spring (old sturdy one) or a gatorade bottle for a blow by on racebikes. The wierd shape of the stocker seems like it would be hard to fit anywhere.

There is a bunch of room under the seat if you hacksaw the plastic tray.

Upland111 03-01-2014 09:41 PM

That's a good thought. Although if I chose a location under the seat, I would prefer to fabricate some type of "window", possibly cut out of clear Plexiglas so I could observe a level at a glance. W/O having to remove the seat that is.
I'll have to take a look tomorrow..... Thanks

smokinjoe73 03-02-2014 05:42 AM

So the other blank space I use on racebikes is the space next to the headlight behind the front fairing.

TAMPAHAWK68 03-02-2014 05:55 AM

I'd keep the reservoir location below the radiator cap, if not..your not going to like the outcome.
I've been pondering relocating it as well, for better air circulation

MOONSTER 03-02-2014 08:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, location for the resevoir is important, concur must be kept below the radiator cap, or overflow of the radiator. Having worked on many different engine applications as a generator tech, have witnessed what can go wrong with this issue.

One possiblity I see, would be behind the rear shock, in between the rear wheel. Not sure you'd be able to use the stock resevoir though. Would take some closer examination. Maybe a round tank, with proper fittings. Just keep in mind, that you need clearance when swingarm fully compressed.

If the little mud flap is removed, could be uses as a possible mounting tab.
Just my 2 cents worth. Picture maybe shows area.

sjscicluna 03-02-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MOONSTER (Post 369199)
Yes, location for the resevoir is important, concur must be kept below the radiator cap, or overflow of the radiator. Having worked on many different engine applications as a generator tech, have witnessed what can go wrong with this issue.

One possiblity I see, would be behind the rear shock, in between the rear wheel. Not sure you'd be able to use the stock resevoir though. Would take some closer examination. Maybe a round tank, with proper fittings. Just keep in mind, that you need clearance when swingarm fully compressed.

If the little mud flap is removed, could be uses as a possible mounting tab.
Just my 2 cents worth. Picture maybe shows area.

i was thinking between rear shock and motor

CruxGNZ 03-02-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sjscicluna (Post 369215)
i was thinking between rear shock and motor

Pretty good chance it will melt though.

Upland111 03-02-2014 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was looking for a 8oz plastic bottle that had 1oz graduations, but take a look at the following pic and let me know what you think.
It seems obvious, but how about right in front of the fan on the left radiator, just behind the filler cap?
Shown is what I believe to be a 6oz container.
You could use what is now the overflow tube that feeds the current location tied into the existing vent tube. Then route a new overflow tube to the bottom of the container, onto a nipple epoxied off the bottom of the bottle.
Attachment 16751

Not sure about fairing clearance though.....

TAMPAHAWK68 03-03-2014 05:52 AM

Curious to see what you come up with, I have been looking at that as well. I am looking at removing everything under the tank, airbox, coolant tank, ect.
I'm looking at making my tank out of tubing, will give me more flexibility in being able to design an adequate size reservoir and be able to hide it inside the fairing..looking for suitable materials for project at the moment.

CruxGNZ 03-03-2014 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by TAMPAHAWK68 (Post 369241)
Curious to see what you come up with, I have been looking at that as well. I am looking at removing everything under the tank, airbox, coolant tank, ect.

Permanently? The bike runs like crap if you're planning on running pod filters. You will want to leave the airbox there. It takes up a lot of space, but it's necessary. Some of us are actually making the airbox volume larger (post filter).

TAMPAHAWK68 03-03-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 369242)
Permanently? The bike runs like crap if you're planning on running pod filters. You will want to leave the airbox there. It takes up a lot of space, but it's necessary. Some of us are actually making the airbox volume larger (post filter).

No pod filters...custom stack/filter mod..still in R/D stages at the moment

I have another idea on a reservoir...If the swingarm tubes are sealed at both ends...could turn one side into a reservoir?????

macdee 03-03-2014 02:16 PM

loydie used the hrc coolant bottle here this was a test bottle http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/08/aga8ysaq.jpg

CruxGNZ 03-22-2014 09:22 PM

Just to keep the threads together:
Click here

CruxGNZ 03-22-2014 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TAMPAHAWK68 (Post 369243)
No pod filters...custom stack/filter mod..still in R/D stages at the moment

I have another idea on a reservoir...If the swingarm tubes are sealed at both ends...could turn one side into a reservoir?????

Sorry, just saw this. Can you? Yes. Should you? No. Why? Uprgrade your grey matter on "unsprung weight".

I'd still like to see your idea on the custom velocity stack/filter mod. It would be neat to see what you're thinking.