Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

anyone ever use a Laminar lip ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Squid

AKohler996
anyone ever use a Laminar lip ?

http://www.laminarlip.com/shawk.php

I bought one in smoke, to compliment my standard profile smoke aftermarket windscreen (I think it is a Targa)
It should be here on Tuesday, I will try to get it on, and get some pictures.
I was hoping for a little redirected airflow (to keep the bugs out of my teeth). Stock height windscreen doesn't do much for me, but I do not like the looks of alot of the Double-bubbles.

Alan
Old 05-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Lip..

I'm kind of interested in one of those as well...Love to hear your riding impressions. I know the wind pressure I'm getting now helps take weight off wrists...so I'm not sure. Interested to know how "smooth" the airflow is..and whether you feel in push on the back of your helmet. Ran an ST 1300 for a while..if you ran the stock shield up higher it rammed the back of your headforward.. Installed a Cee Bailey.. with a NACA duct in the middle..end of probelm...these Laminar Lips should not have that kind of issue..Let us know..

Take Care
Dave
Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Squid

AKohler996
Yes, that is another reason why I bought it ... as compared to just a higher screen. It redirects, but still lets some air through.
Someone else had mentioned the whole weight on wrists vs. air pushing you back deal ... and to be honest, I do not think that comes into play much, unless you are a touring rider. Since the Superhawk is not a touring bike, no issue ... as far as I am concerned. We will see though.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
One of my riding friends has one on his ZZR 1200. He really likes it and has bragged on it several times.
Having never ridden with one myself, I can't offer first hand experience. Can only pass along what he has said.

I'll bet you'll like it.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM
B R
Back Marker

B R is on a distinguished road
I have a Saeng-Ta adjustable thingie. it works pretty good, but looks a little dorky. It's attached to my stock windscreen, that I don't use anymore, as I changed that out for a ZG Smoked DB.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Don't give me no lip

Just wondered if you tried your Laminar Lip and what your opinion is?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Squid

AKohler996
I had it out today for the first time. I did not notice a Huge difference, but I do believe it really cut down on wind noise in my helmet now. I rode a bit with my shield up, and didn't get my eyes dried out (or dust in them). The "look" from the inside will take a little time to get used to, as it is taller than I thought, and I am used to seeing almost nothing.
I will try to get some pictures and post soon.
I "modified" the way it was supposed to be mounted.
It is supposed to use only the back screws, and then double sided tape for the rest. But I wanted it to be removable, so I drilled another set of holes, about 2.5" from the back holes ... through the Lip, the fairing, and the windscreen itself. I used 2 rubber Lockhart windsheild well-nuts and screws to duplicate the stock mount. Even with the Lip off, the bike will still look stock, and I think it even stiffened up the whole set-up. Even though it does vibrate a bit at speed. Overall I think it was a worthwhile buy for what I wanted it to do.
Alan
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Squid

AKohler996
Here are a few pics...

http://www.members.aol.com/akohler88...mepage/LL1.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/akohler88...mepage/LL2.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/akohler88...mepage/LL3.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/akohler88...mepage/LL4.jpg
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Looks about as high as the ZG touring screen. Nice looking bike, the yellow gives it some pop.
Let me ask you a couple questions on your rimstripes since I've got some sitting in the garage for about 8 months now.
1) How long did it take you to do it and did you take the wheels off?
2) Were those the pre-curved type? I got the straight ones from Tapeworks but didn't have the patience for it. Bought some pre-curved on ebay but like I said, haven't tackled it yet.
Yours look like they came out nice. Any tips?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Squid

Boofer is on a distinguished road
Sorry Man but Yuk.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Squid

AKohler996
Wheel Stripes

They are the pre-curved rim stripes, and the funny thing is that I bought them a year and a half ago for a Honda Hawk GT650 that I had. The Superhawk has been in my garage for over a year now, and I finally decided to put them on it.
Number one, I was not positive that I was going to like them, because the all-black wheels have grown on me. Plus, I knew the wheels had to be spotless to put them on, and that is rare, road dirt comes up after a mile on the road I swear.
So after giving it it's bi-annual sponge bath this week (I got caught in a rain storm - another rare thing for me) I decided to put on the Right Side rim stripes only. It only took me about 10 minutes per wheel. OK maybe 12 for the first one, but 8 for the second.
They still require some finess, or you will not get them evenly spaced on the rim. They do "bend" like any other pinstripe. But since I have done many cars over the years, I figured this would be no big deal. At least for the side opposite the kick stand. I just moved the bike about 4 time forward, for each wheel, and I was done.
The Left Side will require that I put the bike up on both race stands. Assuming I decide definitely to keep them on.

As far as the Laminar. As I said earlier, I wanted it be be easily removable. Because again, I am not sure that I am in love with the look.
The rest of the bike is great, except I want my stock undetail back. I do not like the look of the cut-off that the previous owner did.

Alan
Old 06-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
What do you have hanging under your rear plastics? It appears to be some kind of Sub-frame accessory bar. Is that for saddle bags?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Squid

AKohler996
Ventura Rack

It is the brackets for my Ventura rack.
I actually mounted a Givi case to the tubular rack, and it is all removable.
Leaving behind only what you see.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Regarding the wheel stripes, I think they look good FWIW. I have had mine in the garage for 6 months now waiting for the nerve to do it. I want to put it on a stand, but don't have one. I once saw an rc51 where they had not been done well, and it was obvious when parked that they were not straight, so it kinda scared me off.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Squid

AKohler996
rim stripes

I took them off today. There was just something about them that did not look right on my bike. Maybe I should have gotten red.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Squid

AKohler996
jury is still out on the Laminar .... I may or may not keep it on ....