SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   New From Indiana :D (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/new-indiana-d-35168/)

Wolverine 07-27-2021 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Goose86 (Post 413693)
New year, new updates...got a Two Brothers Header from Captainchaos and did the finish work on it to get all the ugly baked on grime off, waiting for gaskets to install and think I’m going to put a different set of
slip-ons with it. A bit more era correct in a way...

I love my high-mounts, but the girlfriend is wanting to ride this year and I can’t bring myself to space pegs out the amount needed...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...a0d640771.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...37c0831b6.jpeg
Pretty clean set of carbon Two Brothers low mount pipes I scored on EBay a while back...probably box up the High-Mounts in case I ever opt for them again and she lets me back on a solo setup haha

More to come when installed fella’s...

Exhaust looks great. Did you get the system put on yet?

Goose86 07-29-2021 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 413967)
Exhaust looks great. Did you get the system put on yet?

I wish I could say I have, but unfortunately a lot of things along with my general riding season have been put on the back-burner this year due to some unwanted circumstances.

My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer back in late May-early June, so we have been full-speed on handling all the curves of life there. Treatable, but not curable is where that stands. We've been managing and getting things sorted out to fit regular life back in with that. Saying our prayers often here.

Making most of the family time and spent the month of June having my kiddo for part of her summer so a bit of re-allocation of time there as well.

Annnd my Dad managed to break his leg last week while unloading gear at the rifle range, so we've had to make changes there. Me being the only child here, the hits have been rolling needless to say...haha

But...summary on the SuperHawk is that when prepping to swap out pipes and servicing for the season, I discovered a weeping coolant hole which translates to a failing mechanical seal per this wonderful forum and the Honda manual. So I managed to get the case cover off and taken to Lake City Honda in Warsaw, IN. Parts ordered and they said they'd do the press work for me. Found out the impeller shaft was super pitted so they had to order one of those as well, which is on back-order until next week, (Aug. 8th), I found out. So I'm waiting on that and then get the whole list of work done all at once.

I'm definitely in need of some ride-time though!! May be able to get some soon fingers crossed...in the meantime I travel vicariously through you guys, haha

Hope its been a good season so far for everybody here and appreciate the follow-up on my slacking of updates! Hahaha...I will be sure to post good, clean, and shiny pictures once the install is done though!

xeris 07-29-2021 07:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your mother’s health issues. Hopefully it will work out for the better.
You must have worn your finger tips raw getting those headers looking so good.

Wolverine 07-29-2021 11:19 AM

Cancer sucks, there's no 2 ways about it. Hopefully you get a lot of time.

I agree with Dave, it must have taken a lot of work to get those babies to gleam like that. Fine job! Can't wait to see 'em mounted up.

Goose86 07-30-2021 05:41 AM

Appreciate it fella's, it's definitely been a change of pace for things around here at home. Doing the best we can and making the most with what we've got though!

Lol, the process of working down the pipes really wasn't a huge undertaking. I went from 400g to 3000g, skipping/jumping a couple grits in between and wet sanding mixed in. The only uncomfortable part I'd say was sitting in the garage sweating and continuously working the pipe surfaces in some "less than ideal for public" motions we'll say, LMAO!!! I kinda feel like I have a personal relationship with the header now, hahahaha...

I went and bought a Harbor Freight 6in. Bench Buffer to do the shine-up though. It was a little tricky to work the pipe with all the angles, but came out really good I think! Certainly made the job of that easier as hand polishing sucks! I found that out super quick with doing correction on the bike's bodywork and bought a 3in. Orbital from Griot's for that too. Have them on as soon as I can!

Btw...Wolverine, dude...that is a SUPER clean Blue S/H you managed to snag! I saw the thread for that and kinda drooled a little bit, lol...Congrats on the purchase and hopefully you haven't gotten too much flack from the significant other!

Will check back in soon guys...

Goose86 09-05-2021 04:49 PM

Happy Labor Day Weekend to everyone!! Hope it’s a good break and you all are enjoying the last big holiday weekend of the summer!

Finally a productive day here on my end of things 😂

Got my water pump parts back a couple wknds ago and managed to get everything buttoned back together. Did an oil flush to ensure I wouldn’t have any gasket material sitting in the pan and got the cooling system refilled with Engine Ice.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...131cd344d.jpeg
The old impeller was pretty pitted as the shop explained…so I’m thankful for them making the call to change that!

But the big story of course is that I got my exhaust changed out FINALLY! 🤗 Wiped everything down, fired with glorious sound, and checked torque values after a heat cycle. And here she sits in her new, (more era correct) format. Header is going to golden up wonderfully I think as it already started at the heads. SO stoked there!!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...d13b9cee8.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...5c88dd193.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...b030a1180.jpeg

I also snagged a Sargent Seat from Lajon here on the forum and got that installed with my cowl over it as well. Such a nice piece!! Thanks again for that Lajon!!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...9e3cc0554.jpeg

Unfortunately…I have now encountered a new issue despite all this progress I’ve finally been able to make.

The SuperHawk has developed a “tick”. Comes on mid-way through the heat cycle, bike in neutral, and after brapping the throttle a bit. Higher pitched, sounds like a valve or lifter noise but unsure currently. I’m suspecting CCT after digging around on here a bunch. 😖 A previous owner put a Manual in on the front cylinder, but the rear is still the Auto. My next move is going to be trying a local shop that works on vintage stuff to see if they can check it out for me as something like this is just simply above my pay and skill level. 😔 Definitely setting up for next season now!

Updates on that to come! 👍🏻

Goose86 09-05-2021 04:55 PM

Side notes as well…for all who have kept up on my thread and got down to the past posts: Thank you for following the work I’ve done and all the progress I’ve made, makes it more fun when I can share the fruits of my labors in a good group! Also, family is doing pretty well. We’ve been getting a lot done and Dad’s leg is healing up and Mom is as resilient as ever and staying on the go in good spirits 🤗 she’s made big progress on her little projects and so life is pretty good right now. 🙂

Got out to their place today as well and helped with some yard work for the afternoon. Managed to snag a photo of their back yard with the fields in full swing as well. Farmers planted Sunflowers this year and it’s quite a sight to behold!!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...9889aa24a.jpeg
Appreciate you all on here as the community on this forum is pretty great! God Bless ya’ll and let’s keep these cool bikes alive and well! 👍🏻👍🏻

Wolverine 09-06-2021 06:32 AM

Beautiful sight! Good to hear things are doing well on the family front.

The tick is disheartening. Rarely do those rears fail, but I guess it's possible. Being that it comes on after a warm up also points me in a direction other than a tensioner. When they do fail, things get catastrophic in a hurry. Hoping for the best in your case.

Goose86 09-08-2021 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 414171)
The tick is disheartening. Rarely do those rears fail, but I guess it's possible. Being that it comes on after a warm up also points me in a direction other than a tensioner. When they do fail, things get catastrophic in a hurry. Hoping for the best in your case.

What direction would this description point you towards Wolverine? Being that you and other folks on here have way more experience and knowledge with these motors than I, I'm all ears at the moment. I know its difficult to narrow down without directly hearing it yourself, but I suppose any info is also helpful in my mind as I'm not an in-depth engine tech and some sort of a more-informed path to follow can be helpful. I'm just trying to go off the limited knowledge I have.

JamieDaugherty 09-08-2021 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Goose86 (Post 414185)
What direction would this description point you towards Wolverine? Being that you and other folks on here have way more experience and knowledge with these motors than I, I'm all ears at the moment. I know its difficult to narrow down without directly hearing it yourself, but I suppose any info is also helpful in my mind as I'm not an in-depth engine tech and some sort of a more-informed path to follow can be helpful. I'm just trying to go off the limited knowledge I have.

Maybe bring it by the DMr shop and I can take a listen. What you describe does not sound like a CCT to me.

Wolverine 09-08-2021 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Goose86 (Post 414185)

It'd be very hard to diagnose a tick without being there or seeing/hearing a good video. I have this old tool from my grandfathers old gas station. It's a stethoscope for automotive use. You can also use a long screwdriver by gently putting it against your head near an ear to listen to different areas as you move it, touching engine. Check out this vid:

Might be some useful info in there to help get you pointed in the right direction.

Goose86 09-08-2021 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 414186)
Maybe bring it by the DMr shop and I can take a listen. What you describe does not sound like a CCT to me.

That would be awesome of you Jamie! When do you think you would be available to coordinate that? I work dayshift but my afternoons can be flexible.

I had tried to record it on my iPhone, (as we all have done at some point, right haha)...wasn't the best I'll admit but hopefully its detectable through that to some extent. I know engines make all sorts of noises obviously, but the one I'm hearing is new and out of place, hence the concern.

And Wolverine, that's definitely an informative video there. I'm going to have to pick one of those tools up for sure.

Wolverine 09-08-2021 09:41 AM

I hear it. And this does not occur on initial fire up/when cold? And does it change at all when you pull in the clutch?
I think if this were my Hawk, I'd be replacing that rear cct (unrelated to the tick) and checking valve clearances on both heads.

Goose86 09-13-2021 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 414189)
I hear it. And this does not occur on initial fire up/when cold? And does it change at all when you pull in the clutch?
I think if this were my Hawk, I'd be replacing that rear cct (unrelated to the tick) and checking valve clearances on both heads.

Loaded the bike up and managed to make a visit to Jamie's shop over the weekend to let him have a listen. Super appreciative for your time and chatting up a bit Jamie!! Btw, I had misspoke when talking about oil that I was running during the visit, I in fact am using 10w40 Spectro rather that the 10w30 I said...doh! Haha

Bike does NOT have any noticeable trouble sound upon initial fire/cold start, or change when the clutch is pulled. But we did manage to catch a listen of it again after the bike had been running and warmed up a bit. Feint but it was there. Edit: I ran it again this afternoon and got it up to full temp and it certainly has a racket going on in there. 😖

Next move is probably going to be what you're recommending Wolverine. Gonna stop up at the local shop I had mentioned before to see if they'd be willing to have a look at it and go from there. Slow but steady here for me haha...but just trying to avoid any potential disaster until it's sorted out.

Glad my video and weekend visit were able to audibly catch it though and your confirmations of it verify that I'm not crazy at least, hahaha

Wolverine 09-13-2021 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Goose86 (Post 414198)
Loaded the bike up and managed to make a visit to Jamie's shop over the weekend to let him have a listen. Super appreciative for your time and chatting up a bit Jamie!! Btw, I had misspoke when talking about oil that I was running during the visit, I in fact am using 10w40 Spectro rather that the 10w30 I said...doh! Haha

Bike does NOT have any noticeable trouble sound upon initial fire/cold start, or change when the clutch is pulled. But we did manage to catch a listen of it again after the bike had been running and warmed up a bit. Feint but it was there. Edit: I ran it again this afternoon and got it up to full temp and it certainly has a racket going on in there. 😖

Next move is probably going to be what you're recommending Wolverine. Gonna stop up at the local shop I had mentioned before to see if they'd be willing to have a look at it and go from there. Slow but steady here for me haha...but just trying to avoid any potential disaster until it's sorted out.

Glad my video and weekend visit were able to audibly catch it though and your confirmations of it verify that I'm not crazy at least, hahaha

I posted a link to your vid on the SH FB group and got some replies. Not sure how trustworthy but, one said it sounded normal, one said cam chain slop and one said it sounded like water pump drive chain. Only know one of those people and it was the sounded fine guy (he's one here too but not much).

Let us know whatcha find.

Goose86 09-13-2021 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 414199)
I posted a link to your vid on the SH FB group and got some replies. Not sure how trustworthy but, one said it sounded normal, one said cam chain slop and one said it sounded like water pump drive chain. Only know one of those people and it was the sounded fine guy (he's one here too but not much).

Let us know whatcha find.

Appreciate that! I suppose I never thought of the water pump drive chain…but being that the water pump seal and impeller were changed out at the start of this whole deal is that something that sounds feasible? Sound seems most audible at the rear cylinder to me but all options considered at this point in my mind. Will know soon enough.

I’ll indeed keep up the status on what I find out…hope to get on the books for it tomorrow at the shop here 🤞🏻

skokievtr 09-19-2021 02:12 PM

IMO, I'd replace the rear CCT with a manual unit, check the front CCT and all the valves. It's unlikely water pump chain unless you messed with it. You can DIY if you have the tools and patience.

Hope your folks keep on keeping on.

If you are ever heading up this way (like to the races at Road America) or want a tour of SE WI. LMK.