SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/cruxgnzs-98-superhawk-24772/)

kenmoore 04-15-2016 03:41 AM

There should be a post on here recommending master cylinders however yours is far from stock so you could be in uncharted waters.

Let us know what happens, and while your at it "pull your finger out!" as we say down under.

We want to see the finished product, and hear your impressions.

Bet it's a peach!

CruxGNZ 04-15-2016 11:59 AM

Decided to stick with the stock CBR1000RR master cylinder. Put in an offer of 25 bucks for one on eBay and the person countered with $30 (free shipping). I think I'll take it. So that sorts the front brakes out. I already have brand new lines that are 2 inches longer than stock.

Beautiful weather here today (66F) and the temperature this weekend will be in the 70's. I can port & polish the heads outside. No more working in a cold garage!

This fantastic weather is just the kick in the butt to get items erased from my white board.

CruxGNZ 04-15-2016 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With this fantastic weather, I decided to piss off my neighbors and tackle the heads. I got the first one 90% done. Still need to open the intake up a bit more and then polish the exhaust side. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other head.

The powdercoating guy didn't call, so it looks like I'll get my stuff next week. I hope.

Attachment 21628
Attachment 21629

mikstr 04-15-2016 07:08 PM

Keep up the great work brother :)

kenmoore 04-16-2016 03:02 AM

Nice work,

Keep going mate, it will be worth it!

CruxGNZ 04-16-2016 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Awesome weather today. Could it have been any better? I submit that it cannot! Got both heads ported. Polishing is up next. Found a neat trick to help lap the valves. Involves a piece of vacuum tubing and a drill. Makes it so much easier! Those wooden sticks with rubber suction cups on the ends can suck it.

I chucked the valves in the drill press and cleaned them up.

Grilling chicken & veggies while I write this out on our deck. First time we've been able to do this since last year. I live about a quarter mile from a major highway and all day I have been hearing motorcycles flying down the road. Talk about motivation!

Anyways, more pictures tomorrow. Hopefully an engine with the heads on.

Attachment 21623Attachment 21624

kenmoore 04-17-2016 04:50 AM

That's the go! Get stuck into it mate.

CruxGNZ 04-20-2016 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the heads on and torqued down! After the first set of collets, the rest go super easy. Next up, installing the WebCams cams and degreeing them in.

Attachment 21620
Attachment 21621

The powdercoating place said that I should get all my parts back tomorrow. We will see.

CruxGNZ 04-22-2016 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess what I picked up!? Heck yeah! I put a coat of Turtle Wax on everything right away.

It's all coming together now. Man, if I ever get hit or have an accident on this bike, I'm going to be so pissed. Everything on it is new. Every single bearing, every single seal has been replaced. Every part has been modified or upgraded. It will be a brand new 1998 Superhawk.

Attachment 21619

I could assemble the entire bike this weekend if I wanted to, but realistically with yard work and other house stuff, there just isn't enough time.

I'll post pictures of how far I get this weekend. Monday morning I'm going to the hospital for a day surgery, which will pull me out of building the bike for a few days. So, I'm hoping to get as much done as possible before this.

VTR1000F 04-22-2016 02:45 PM

The yard will be there next weekend. More of it, in fact.

CruxGNZ 04-22-2016 02:57 PM

I know, I am seriously debating leaving the grass grow and hiring my Dad to cut it.

kenmoore 04-22-2016 03:38 PM

Get it together,

Pay someone to do the yard.

We want to see your New bike,

Only kidding, wow that's a lot of powder coated parts.

CruxGNZ 04-22-2016 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 395212)
Get it together,

Pay someone to do the yard.

We want to see your New bike,

Only kidding, wow that's a lot of powder coated parts.

After seeing how the parts came out powdercoated compared to my painting them with ceramic spray paint and then also seeing how they don't chip or scratch as easily, I just had to get most parts powdercoated. The company that did it for me not only did superb work, but gave me an excellent deal on everything.

After seeing all this gloss black, I sure hope I have enough grey painted parts to offset it.

CruxGNZ 04-24-2016 09:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My press got a lot of use this weekend. The rear suspension components all have new bearings and seals. I bolted it all to the swingarm, which has new bearings and seals as well. The rear wheel actually has a place to go! Once the swingarm was done, I decided to tackle the rear brake. I got this idea from mikstr. I also got an inline brake switch. So, this modification deletes a lot and cleans up the rear braking system. I know I'm cutting up Moriwaki rearsets, but if I was to ever sell these, the rear master cylinder would go with them.

Attachment 21605
Attachment 21606
Attachment 21607
Attachment 21608

scottiemann 04-27-2016 04:46 PM

glad to see you back man!! cant wait to see it done.

I too took quite a long break from my bike, burned myself out between my exhausting job and working on the bike every night... then it was winter...

Every time I see a bike on the road I have to ask myself "WTF man, what are you doing with your life?!" lol

CruxGNZ 05-01-2016 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 395342)
glad to see you back man!! cant wait to see it done.

I too took quite a long break from my bike, burned myself out between my exhausting job and working on the bike every night... then it was winter...

Every time I see a bike on the road I have to ask myself "WTF man, what are you doing with your life?!" lol

Glad to be back! Sometimes you need to take a step back and think things out.

I hope to be working back on the bike tomorrow. I had a Septoplasty and a Turbinate surgery this past Monday. My septum was in the shape of an "S" and had a hard time breathing through my nose. The doc got my septum perfectly straight! Extremely happy about that. It seriously feels like you got smacked in the face with a 2x4, but I'm off the pain meds and feeling a little better.

It will be a little wierd getting used to wearing a surgical mask while working on projects, but I have to keep my face clean. I need to avoid an infection inside my nose.

First project I need to tackle tomorrow is the cutting and welding of the Moriwaki rearset for the new rear master cylinder. So, I'll update with pictures of that tomorrow. Wish me luck!

CruxGNZ 05-01-2016 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 395404)
First project I need to tackle tomorrow is the cutting and welding of the Moriwaki rearset for the new rear master cylinder. So, I'll update with pictures of that tomorrow. Wish me luck!

So, tonight after dinner, I got some energy, the first amount of any energy since my procedures this past Monday. I needed an outlet, so I decided to tackle the rearset. In hindsight, I should have waited untill I was more clear headed. I still feel like I'm in a fog with my body healing. And then this happened. I cut it, welded three sides removed the master cylinder and while welding the fourth and final side, I put too much heat into it and...we have meltyness. Oops. Looks like I'm going to Speedy Metals tomorrow to pick up a 1/4" sheet of 6061 aluminum. I am glad I made a template before I even started cutting anything. It's an easy fix, just takes time. At least it's a small part.

Attachment 21597
Attachment 21598

scottiemann 05-01-2016 08:58 PM

bravo on the foresight to make a template lol, you always seem prepared when you fuck up... not me haha

CruxGNZ 05-01-2016 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 395413)
bravo on the foresight to make a template lol, you always seem prepared when you fuck up... not me haha

Haha too true! It's like I have a second sense for screwing up!

CruxGNZ 05-01-2016 09:17 PM

I just picked up two very nice Honda EX400 four row oil coolers. I'm going to modify both of them (you need to cut and weld one fitting), install one on my bike and sell the other here.

scottiemann 05-01-2016 09:59 PM

I dont have a sense for screwing up(although I should), however I do have a great ability to problem solve lol...

VTR1000F 05-02-2016 02:36 AM

Guys, I'm thinking a sense for screwing up would alert you prior to commission of the act. I think you guys are talking about an ability. In any case, bravo.

Crux, what is this oil cooler mod of which you speak? I've not heard of this one before. Is this an original Crux?

Mat, I'm almost looking forward to seeing your bike put together as much as I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Kenmoore's eBay mirrors.

CruxGNZ 05-02-2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 395421)
Guys, I'm thinking a sense for screwing up would alert you prior to commission of the act. I think you guys are talking about an ability. In any case, bravo.

Crux, what is this oil cooler mod of which you speak? I've not heard of this one before. Is this an original Crux?

Mat, I'm almost looking forward to seeing your bike put together as much as I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Kenmoore's eBay mirrors.

I stand corrected. Ability it is. Hey, it was late!

The four row oil cooler is something I found on here. My new engine will be making more heat, so I decided to tackle a way to cool it a little better just in case. There was a few options, but the larger oil cooler, was the cheapest ($8-$10 plus free shipping on eBay) and easiest. A few people have done it. It looks exactly like our stock 2 row oil cooler, but just four row (roughly twice the height of the stock oil cooler). All you need to do is cut one of the fittings, rotate it roughly 15-20 degrees and TIG weld it back on. Then pressure test, and paint. Another positive for this four row oil cooler, is that it fits in the stock location utilizing the stock oil cooler lines.

I am getting so dang close to attaching the frame to the engine and assembling the bike, I can see it built in my head already! So close.

Aquasnake 05-02-2016 12:29 PM

:popcorn:

kenmoore 05-02-2016 01:51 PM

Ah,

The mirrors!

xeris 05-02-2016 02:10 PM

Have been following, but not so close that I remember if the rear master was previously identified. Is that off a CRF450?

CruxGNZ 05-02-2016 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 395438)
Have been following, but not so close that I remember if the rear master was previously identified. Is that off a CRF450?

I can't remember what it was from. Let me look up in my notes and then edit this post.

EDIT: Xeris, the rear master cylinder is from a '04 Suzuki RMZ250. Looking at the stock rearsets (if you have them), it wouldn't be to hard to make a bracket to attach this master cylinder to.

I went to Speedy Metals and asked for some scraps they have laying around and for $7.30, I got more than I needed!

The weld isn't pretty, but it works. The weld is hidden by a heel plate anyways.

Attachment 21595
Attachment 21596

VTR1000F 05-02-2016 06:42 PM

What weld? I can't even see it.

CruxGNZ 05-03-2016 12:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 395440)
What weld? I can't even see it.

Now you can't see it. Well, most of it anyways.:cool:

I polished it up a little to help it match the rest of the rearset. On the bike this master cylinder comes from, it is rotated 180 degrees. After putting it all together, I realized that it would in fact be possible to mount it 180 degrees. I will see how this works out first. In this configuration, if a resevoir extension is needed to make the reservoir bigger, then I will forgo that resevoir extension and remake the mount so it sits 180 degrees from how you see it in the pictures. That way the top of the resevoir will be flat and parallel to the ground, like it was on the bike it came from. Then, I can get my rear brake line made.

I need help from you guys with one question. In the picture below, it shows that the brake arm is slightly off (~1/8") from being right below the master cylinder. I noticed that the stock rear master cylinder and this new one both have a little movement in the shafts. Is it okay to have it this far off? Will it wear out seals faster? If I have to fix this, then I will remake the mount and flip the master cylinder 180 degrees.

Attachment 21593
Attachment 21594

CruxGNZ 05-03-2016 02:24 PM

I just got an invite for a bike ride with my cousin and some friends. They ride around Lake Michigan during the weekend of Memorial Day. So, I now have a solid goal and it's in 23 days! I better order that rear brake line.

I need to break in the engine before the trip, so it's going to be close.