Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

98 Superhawk

Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
98 Superhawk

she was found under a fir tree in North Seattle, WA last April for $2K. When I got her home my wife wasn't sure if this was really a good deal or not :-) About $1,600 and nearly a year later and this bike is a real hoot to ride! I researched much on this forum, though I didn't ask or post any questions I would like to thank so many who have asked and posted before me. The information and examples I found here have been invaluable. So basicaly everything except the engine and tranny was gone over. A full bafflectomy, K&N, PAIR removal, rebuilt/rejetted carbs (180/185 with #50 mains), -1/+2 sprockets with a 520 conversion, reworked all the plastics (somebody had tried to learn how to do wheelies on the poor girl...), new paint color matched to the original Honda Hot Italian Red, reworked the wheels, etc. etc. etc. What's left is to rebuild the forks, check the TPS and maybe some clutch plates later this summer. I may drop the pilots down to #48s, it seems to be a tad rich with the #50s. For now it starts easy (even cold), idles great, transitions very smoothly from pilot to mains and pulls very steady all the way through red-line. I've got a set of Pirelli Diablos to put on soon as well. The sensation of riding this bike is very cool and so very different from my FZ1 or V Star. A great bike and she'll be a keeper for sure! Thanks again to all those who have posted and asked the same questions as I had before I even had to ask!
Attached Thumbnails 98 Superhawk-1998-superhawk-002.jpg   98 Superhawk-1998-superhawk-003.jpg   98 Superhawk-1998-superhawk-004.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
She's a beaut!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

I poached on the Forum for almost 3 years after buying my SuperHawk before finally joining in on the fun. I gathered a lot of info during that time.

But what I want to know is how the hell do you keep your bike so clean and corrosion free, living up there by the Emerald City?

Tweety will appreciate your many searches.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Welcome! At first I thought this was a for sale ad, but then, nope. Keeping it. Very clean bike, as surfer said.

Last edited by 7moore7; 02-07-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM
MotoGP

7moore7, I'm guessing from your signature that you're a Douglas Adams fan...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
MotoGP

Very much a fan of the Hitchhiker series, haven't really explored much of Adams' other stuff. But yeah, good catch! My go to book in between books, I'd say.

I'm afraid to watch the movie and old TV series... I can't imagine how you would translate that onto a screen.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Very much a fan of the Hitchhiker series, haven't really explored much of Adams' other stuff. But yeah, good catch! My go to book in between books, I'd say.

I'm afraid to watch the movie and old TV series... I can't imagine how you would translate that onto a screen.
The TV show and movie pretty much sucked. But I read all 4 books of the Hitchhiker "trilogy" 20+ years ago, and I don't go anywhere without my towel.

And i still haven't found a bartender who knows how to make a "pan galactic gargle blaster"...the alcoholic equivalent of a mugging.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 02-07-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
MotoGP

Haha, I have yet to try to order that one...

I started carrying around a towel b/c I thought it was funny, and it has turned out to be useful in more situations than I thought possible!

Probably how Scott keeps his VTR so clean despite riding around in Washington...
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I started carrying around a towel b/c I thought it was funny, and it has turned out to be useful in more situations than I thought possible!

Probably how Scott keeps his VTR so clean despite riding around in Washington...
There you go...

And with that statement we avoid being accused of a thread jack.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Very tidy job you've done

If you need graphics here are some vector files for the decals - just take them to vinyl printers to cut. They'll look good in either chrome, gold or gloss black

http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=9&t=13333
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Very nice....I like the color matched chin spoiler
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
She's gorgeous. I really like the black cases with silver bolts.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Squid

VTRSurfer,

I towel off the bikes as soon as I get home from a rainy day ride. It takes all of 5 minutes and is well worth it. I also have a compresoor handy in the garage and blow down the hard to reaches places too. I live on the Kitsap/Olympic Peninsula and there are many beautiful rodes to ride here!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Squid

nekkid,

I used a stainless fastener kit from a place I've used on other projects. It does look cool with the contrast and with the often wet weather here stainless fasteners are a real plus. I've used them on some other bikes that I've got posted on my page here on the Superhawk Forum. Thanks for your kind words!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Squid

JimmyFireBug is on a distinguished road
nicely spotted on the bolts - I just kept looking at it and thinking I wish I could keep my bike that clean
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Scott Shand
VTRSurfer,

I towel off the bikes as soon as I get home from a rainy day ride. It takes all of 5 minutes and is well worth it. I also have a compresoor handy in the garage and blow down the hard to reaches places too. I live on the Kitsap/Olympic Peninsula and there are many beautiful rodes to ride here!
Ford Perfect would be proud that you kept your towel handy.

I live less than 200 yards from the Pacific Ocean, so corrosion is always a problem. You've got a great looking SuperHawk, and I've driven the road from Astoria up to Port Angeles in 1970 in my '70 Chevy Nova SS (not on the I-5), so I know you have some fantastic and incredibly scenic roads up there.

Enjoy the torque!

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 02-09-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome Scott, Great bike!

And VTRsurfer: there are 5 books in the "trilogy" not 4.. LOL

My favorite being the British version of: "The restaurant at the end of the universe."

I would love to get the original radio broadcast sometime, but haven't made the effort to track it down.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Scott, would love to see "before" pics to contrast with the "after". Looks like you've got a nice ride now...always great to see another PNW Superhawker.
-R
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
And VTRsurfer: there are 5 books in the "trilogy" not 4.. LOL
Oh well, I must have missed one. I was probably too busy drinking gin and tonics.

I read them back in the late '80s and I stopped with "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish", the 4th book. I see on Wikipedia that the last one was published in 1992. I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome and nice job on your bike!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
That's a beautiful Hawk Scott!

Search this Thread