Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Just pulled the carbs and jetted. Shocking discoveries!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:30 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Just pulled the carbs and jetted. Shocking discoveries!

I bought this bike a few weeks ago. It seemed to be running well. Started fine in the morning. A little cold blooded. Had excellent power...

I changed the pipes to a set of Yoshimuras. Low end suffered. I knew I would be rejetting soon. Ordered the #48 pilots and started on the bike this evening.

First of all, it is a pain in the *** to remove the carbs from this bike! All of those damn hoses. I thought it was going to be the same old thing. Not!

Anyway, what I found interesting was that the bike ran pretty well considering the following...

The rubber plugs in the airbox were not seated in place.
The rear carb was not fully seated in on the motor.
It has a K&N filter
It was running with plugged up #45 pilot jets.

So, I figure that my low speed issues were the pilots. I replaced them and made all of the other corrections except the air filter. Total time just under 4 hours.

Unfortunately I got everything together at 1245am. I don't dare trying to fire up the bike. But I think all will go well. Wish me luck at 8am.

Miguel
ps; need to get the bike rolling for my first trip on the VTR. Four days of touring California.

Last edited by Cafe Racer; 05-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
You write a good headline. Best wishes for a happy first ride. I will be pulling my carbs for the #48 install later this week, already familiar with the tight workspace issue from my PAIR removal job. Someone here said you need a little kid for the carb work cause their hands fit better.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

08:15, I back the bike out to the garage door. Turn on the video camera and document the initial start after the jetting.

Pull on the choke and it fire immediately! I was shocked. I thought that I would have to crank it for awhile to get the fuel through the system. Afterall, I did fully drain the carbs. But I guess the gravity feed works great.

Choke goes off after a few seconds. The bike stays running. I turn off the bike and put on my boots. Fire it up again and after about 30sec the bike dies.

I read someones thread last night about how he couldnt keep the bike running without adding fuel to the lines.

I cranked it up again with throttle and it stumbles to a start and idles smooth at 11-12 hundred RPM.

Backed it out of the driveway and onto the street. Immediate smooth pull from about 2k. Huge difference as I used to have to feather the throttle to about 3200RPM. Now I am riding the bike at 2500 without the clutch work. Awesome!

Around a few blocks and then onto a longer straight to test the high rev operation. Got it up to 6500 in first. Smooth. But I will need to take it out for more rides before this weekends trip to Death Valley.

Okay... time to take kids to school.

Miguel
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Considering that you actually got out and rode it without any issues, I don't think we had the same problem. Mine was using the fuel that was already in the carbs, and when it ran out that's when the problem set in. So I doubt that you have any issues, it probably just bogged itself down. It happens sometimes. But, it never hurts to check to make sure your hoses are in the right place, there was a post on here a couple years ago where a person managed to ride for a couple weeks with his petcock valve hooked up wrong, somehow.

Hope all is well though, Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
yeah sounds like the vacuum line that connects to the petcock is on the wrong nipple. It needs to conntect to the one on the back not the one on the bottom. Start by checking there.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Little_Horse
yeah sounds like the vacuum line that connects to the petcock is on the wrong nipple. It needs to conntect to the one on the back not the one on the bottom. Start by checking there.
Hey man...

I owe you a beer of a burger when you make it down to San Francisco!

I took the bike out this morning. Had a doctors appt to get some stitches in my forehead check out. Long story! Well, about a mile downb the road the bikes started to get all funky. Wanting to die etc... I was able to limp it downtown. Barely making it.

After the appt I popped off the seat and check the vacuum line to the petcock. I moved it over as you mentioned and fired her up. I took it in heavy traffic and the bike was great.

Thanks again for your input on my previous post. It saved me alot of trouble. This would have cancelled my m/c trip this weekend.

I owe you bro!

Miguel
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Anybody here with more than 300 posts has done the same exact thing - everyone! Glad we could help and thanks for posting thanks to the member that helped.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
its common enough. happened to me even after I discovered the dealer did it when I bought it.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Okay....thanks everyone. But thanks mostly to The Little Horse.

Miguel