Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Don't need Spool

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Don't need Spool

Since I already have a stand that required spools and not wanting to buy another for my hawks, I've been trying to figure out how to make it work. I don't want to weld a thread-mounts on since I have never welded aluminum before and I don't want to tap the swingarm. So today while I was working on it, I realized that there is no need add spools to make it compatible for my stand.

If you look at the rear cush drive..I think that's what they are called, you will notice that it is hollow. So I just went and bought a rod and stick it through..Voila spools.

Mind you I had to drill one side to make it bigger since the inner opening of the sprocket side is a tad smaller than the whole opening of the drive and you cannot change tire with this setup.

just an idea you might want to try...now for those who has a stand that don't require spools...ignore me.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I'm bad at reading. I'm a visual learner. Peekchurrs?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by calitoz
Since I already have a stand that required spools and not wanting to buy another for my hawks, I've been trying to figure out how to make it work. I don't want to weld a thread-mounts on since I have never welded aluminum before and I don't want to tap the swingarm. So today while I was working on it, I realized that there is no need add spools to make it compatible for my stand.

If you look at the rear cush drive..I think that's what they are called, you will notice that it is hollow. So I just went and bought a rod and stick it through..Voila spools.

Mind you I had to drill one side to make it bigger since the inner opening of the sprocket side is a tad smaller than the whole opening of the drive.

I am going to fabricate a removable one with welded spacers tommorrow which will allow me to pulled it out when not in use. Now if you want to have it permanently mounted, you can always use threaded rod and nuts.

just an idea you might want to try...now for those who has a stand that don't require spools...ignore me.
Very nice.This is how I lift my SH as long as I do not need to remove the rear wheel.

Another variation of what you did is to use a piece of all thread that fits the larger diameter of the hollow axle.. turn down the left side so it fits through the smaller diameter, thread it and add some spools to the threaded rod. You could thread the "spools" with the right one lock in place (thread lock or a jam nut) and use the right one as a lock nut to hold the rod in place.

Personally I bought a spare swing arm, and will have some spool mounts TIG welded in place, then swap swing arms. Spend some time polishing up the old one, then sell it.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've done the same thing with my '98 Superhawk. Took a piece of steel rod that fit snugly through the right side and turned down the final two inches that pass throught the left end of the axle. Drilled out a spool, press fit, tapped and screwed a bolt to secure it to the right end of the rod. Slip fit a spool on the smaller diameter left end and drilled a small hole for a hitch pin to keep the removable spool from sliding off. Now my Pit-Bull holds the bike securely with no more slip-sliding forward with the previous under swingarm method. Much safer for those frequent 350 mile chain cleaning and lubing drills.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
added picture for those without imagination :-d
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
For those that are lazy, I've been using my pad stand right behind the weld on the swing arm without any sliding at all. Just FYI, good idea though calitoz!