General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

WTF, Squids?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
WTF, Squids?

Do these kids with brand new Gixxers, Ninjas, R6/1's NOT know the value of riding skills. Their bike out perform mine by miles, yet I'm still spanking them on the back roads all the damn time. What gives?!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
In NOVA, they are too busy using the Capital Beltway as a MotoGP track, or doing wheelies up Rte. 28 from Centerville to Dulles.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster
Do these kids with brand new Gixxers, Ninjas, R6/1's NOT know the value of riding skills. Their bike out perform mine by miles, yet I'm still spanking them on the back roads all the damn time. What gives?!
Kettle - "Hey, Pot?!?!??! You're black!"

How about a sig that says "Likes to spank boys"?!?! LOL!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
In Denver, I find a lot of them have never taken the MSF course. I've spoken to a few. Their skills are poor and learning to wheelie is paramount. Just like ricers, appearance is way more important than substance.

I had a neighbor who was 22 who bought a new Kawasaki ZX-9 with 0 miles that was just sitting for 3 years on the dealer showroom floor. I warned him about "the first 30 days" new-rider's-crash-probability factor and mostly how to break the engine in as per the manual. Instead he rode with no gear, helmet on the helmet-lock, shades and tennis shoes. Revved the engine without load to redline to show off the noise factor to his buds. Redlined it constantly. By 500 miles his engine sounded like marbles loose in a can. He said he was only getting 7 or 8 mpg. By 1000 miles he had somehow managed not to crash too severely but his engine would barely run. Engine was warrantied and had not changed his oil. Engine was replaced by warranty. Oil looked like tar on a telephone pole. Tires were bald due to burnouts. Bike looked abused in 2 months.

He moved back to Georgia and I heard that he had lengthened the dogbone by 18 inches for drag-racing but crashed it and totaled it.

The reason he did all this he said was to "Attract the chicks." Ahem.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:44 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I don't think things have really changed that much. Fifteen years ago when I started riding I was an idiot too. My skills were not even close to matching the bike I had (VF1000R) but I didn't care. Luckily I learned more about riding skills and worked to improve mine. Racing also has helped out a lot. Now I realize that my VTR, arguably not the baddest machine around, can be made to do some crazy stuff if you know how. Come to think of it, maybe I'm still an idiot.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Superchickencornermonster: I hear ya. I ride in Nova all the time and whenever I'm on curvy roads like Joplin in PW there are always kids puttin along, then they get out on the main highway and wanna do 130. And they wonder why they get tickets! If you ever wanna ride, let me know, I work in Manassas and live near Lake Anna. Reaper lives in Manassas too. We get together and thump all the time.
Attached Thumbnails WTF, Squids?-bikesrear.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I know for a fact I am guilty of riding like an idiot on the roads, like going double the speed limit on twisty back-roads but who has not. Sportbikes naturaly make you want to break the law.They are no fun at slow speeds. Now I can say I do it mostly at the track where it is way more fun. Just a part of growing up.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
It's the hot heads these kids get. They think a brand new sportbike is gonna get them more friends, more chicks, and a badass look. These kids have never ridden a bike in their lives and go out and buy a bike that can go 160+ mph.
I'm 17 years old and I know I'm a kid too. But...I have at least been riding 600cc sportbikes since I was 12, I've taken both beginner and advanced MSF courses, and I ride with older guys who have been riding for MANY years and have lots of experience...which keeps me safe.
The kids buying these bikes ride with other dumbasses who promote speeding, revving, and destroying their bikes.
I personally think that buying a bike should be done in steps. For example, if you have never owned a bike...buy a bike that is lets say 400cc or less and own it for at least a year (pretty lenient...maybe 2 years)...before you can move up to something that is maybe 750cc or less...so on and so forth.
I think that it should be a law that before you can buy a motorcycle, you must have taken the MSF course...and pass! I took the course and scored both a 100 on my written and riding test (only one to do so )...but quite a few people...people who owned a bike!!!...failed both written and riding exams! I say confiscate their bikes and make them pass before they get it back

Last edited by Blue Ridge Boy; 12-30-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You stay on that top of spirit and you will stay alive.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
graduated lisc

In the UK they have a graduated license system. Personally I feel that if we instituted it in the US it would be great. However with us Americans craving freedom and no restrictions, the graduated license system wouldn’t stand a chance in the political arena.

I think its easier learning how to ride a bike on a 250cc that will hit 60mph, than a 600cc that will hit 150mph. But - that may just be because I learned to ride on dirtbikes.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I guess i still have a little bit of dumbass in me. if im riding on a boring road and nobody is around, im going to open it up...a lot. as well as on the curvy roads...im going to open it up and have some fun. when im on a boring straight away, yeah, i do wheelies. i do not ride a 1000cc v twin sport bike to go the speed limit or be tame: if that was my goal i would go buy a 50cc scooter and save $ on the registration and insurance. this is not to say that i ride like a nut in traffic, i constantly scan and look and wait for someone thats trying to kill me... but when i feel safe, yeah, i drop the hammer. at least i wear my gear...... oh well....
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster

Don't undersell the SH. It is a great handling bike. Besides, 80% or even more is rider skill when sailing thru twisties.
I can hang with just about anything out there on the streets, even if I'm not on the SH.