General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Will cops chase above 100mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Will cops chase above 100mph

Now I want to start out by saying that I have no intention of or think it is ok to run from the police or speed. I am simply trying to get some information based on some hear-say my friends keep repeating. Has anyone heard of a law against chasing motorcylists above 100mph?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
You can't outrun Motorola.

Depending on state/county/city laws, they may not give pursuit at excess speeds, but they will radio ahead and block you off.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Superstock

Thats assuming you stay on the road they block. I know in AZ you guys have pretty strait roads but not here in Denver
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Ever hear of a thing called a helicopter?

A guy here in Orange County led cops on a 150 mile convoluted freeway chase, at speeds up to 130, about 15 or so years ago. They gave up following on the ground, but the chopper stayed with him. He headed south on the I-5, gassed up at Ortega Highway, then rode on down to Oceanside.

He was standing in line at a McDonalds in Oceanside when the cops came up from behind and tapped him on the shoulder.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 07-20-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Superstock

My question wasn't can you evade a police officer. I know plenty of people that have done it. Rip the throttle, make a few turns and the cop will be nowhere to be seen. That does not give them enough time to get a chopper in route or set up a rode block. The main reason I ask is that 2 friends of mine clipped by a cop in the median facing us. They were doin about 130mph. I was doin about 85 and he never even followed us.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn

Depending on state/county/city laws, they may not give pursuit at excess speeds, but they will radio ahead and block you off.
also with the individual officer.

tim
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
The main reason I ask is that 2 friends of mine clipped by a cop in the median facing us. They were doin about 130mph. I was doin about 85 and he never even followed us.
The cop is probably banking on the laws of natural selection.....
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Thats assuming you stay on the road they block. I know in AZ you guys have pretty strait roads but not here in Denver
Isn't a matter of twists, it's a matter of exits. (straight roads here are only in town and down south, Northern AZ is all mountains)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Superstock

You're right. A twisty road with no exits and you are done.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
I have heard of cops not chasing because of safety issues, at least that's what my friend has been telling me
Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Squid

johnclopp85 is on a distinguished road
In Pa there is no law that states a police officer has to terminate a chase when speeds reach 100mph. Its up to the officer to decide if the risks outweights the reward. So basically, if your being chased for a minor infraction most likely the cop won't chase you at 100mph speeds. However, like the above mentioned there are alternatives such as radios, reg plates, road blocks, and so on. Trust me it is a lot easier to just pull over and take your chances with the cop. If you run you go from a simple summary citation to criminal charges.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I've heard the same thing as Amhsraptor. These days they can probably just grab your plate numbers off of spy drones and send Stormtroopers directly to your home.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
down here the cops cant chase you, well depending on what city youre in, but the next major city to us i have cop buddys and they have told us many times they wont chase bikes and arent allowed to. theyre actually surprised when bikes stop for them. but they wont persue.

year back we had a handful of accidents and fatalities on a smaller hiway in our area in the course of the summer and they gov got strict about chasing.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Here in the **** land of Ontario, Canada
50km/h over the limit and the cop is your judge jury and executioner.

Immediate confiscation of your vehicle, mandatory tow by whatever tow truck company is paying for the most donuts, and a mandatory 7 day impound. So whether you are guilty of that speed or not you are out close to 1 grand and no vehicle. THEN you go to court, you prove you are innocent, ah well, you are still out the money for the tow and impound.

Oh, this rule applies to pretty much anything a cop wants. Too many lane changes, accelerating too hard from a light? well the cop might just think you are street racing, say bye bye to the bike. Pop a wheelie, bye bye bike. the list is HUGE and so vaguely written that its basically all about whether the cop got laid last night or not...

you betcha i'm twisting the wrist if i know the area and have the advantage of him turning around/having to accelerate to catch up etc. that 30km/h over i was doing with the rest of the traffic could easily become a 50 over charge if the cop is not a bike lover. Its his word against yours...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
In Utah, it depends on the local LEO policies. On lonely stretch of interstate, the Highway Patrol will chase you up to as fast as their car will go.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
SuperBike

yup and dont forget up to 10 grand with a minimum of 2 as a fine. i wont get into specifics but ive run because of that law a few times and i had a guy we used to ride with stop and he got hit pretty hard. and the funny thing is, when i told a cop buddy of mine about it he said the guys an idiot and should have run, actually all of them have said that, haha.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I know in AZ you guys have pretty strait roads but not here in Denver
Huh? I think your mental image of Arizona is a bit askew.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Huh? I think your mental image of Arizona is a bit askew.
Askew is such an appropriate word sometimes.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I got scolded for riding on the wrong side of the road. The cop was a dick about it. He asked me why I dont ride on the right side of the road, and when I told him, he didn't care and just asked again. Maybe it wasn't a question. I was on a bicycle, so I didn't think it was unreasonable.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Squid

CPD2569 is on a distinguished road
A police office can chase you over 100 mph. If an officer starts a pursuit he/she will be monitored by a supervisor via radio. It is up to the officer and the supervisor if they will terminate the chase based on speeds, time of day, weather, location, reason for the chase and traffic. As said in other posts, city policies change greatly from city to city, but if an officer is chasing a murder suspect at 1 a.m. they would probably never terminate the chase regardless of speeds. FYI a 2008 Crown Vic can only do 123mph.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Superstock

If you blow by one doin 100 then you accelerate because you saw the cop, how does he even have a chance. Like I said It wasnt a question of if you can get away. I know you can and I bet there are a few on this forum that have done it. And Maybe I'm thinking of Utah. I've been through AZ just to get to Las Vegas.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
If you blow by one doin 100 then you accelerate because you saw the cop, how does he even have a chance. Like I said It wasnt a question of if you can get away. I know you can and I bet there are a few on this forum that have done it. And Maybe I'm thinking of Utah. I've been through AZ just to get to Las Vegas.
exactly, if you stayed cruising at 100 and the officer accelerated from a dead stop (or even worse had to turn around!) he would have to do 125 for over 5 minutes just to catch up to you. now turn that 100 into 110 or even more and the time just exponentially rises. not a good idea, though.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Squid

If a cop is running radar and you go past him at 100 mph he may pull out to see if your going to stop (which most people wouldn't) or he probly would say F it and just stay there because he knows he would never catch you himself, but he would put out a radio broadcast to cars in the area to try and catch them in another spot where they my not be going so fast and has a chance to catch them.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

just like in the fast and the furious
"if you can do better than 180 k/h the cops won't even bother"
Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
In Ontario it's up to the discretion of the officer. In Barrie here the cops will case you through the middle of town during the day! This spring an innocent driver was killed by a 15 yr old punk while being chased by the cops during rush hour, a couple years ago a pedestrian was killed by a car being chased. One was a stolen car, the other was a routine stop.

Both cops were found to be "faultless". Nice.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn

It is unlawful to completely block a road during a chase. The police may block off a lane but have to give you a way through. This is very dumb IMO but it's the law.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I don't know for sure, but I doubt there are any laws at all to control when a cop chases or not. There are departmental policies that vary from location to location which dictate when cops can or should engage in pursuit and under what circumstances to discontinue. Does anyone know of a specific law covering it?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Superstock

Laws of Physics?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

police power
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
such as police chases, shooting people, and local ordinances
Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 AM
SuperBike

I know for a fact if you pass a cop at around 135mph they won't even turn their lights on. lol.

Seriously though as said it varies based on location. here my cop buddys say they aren't allowed to Chase. especially a bike. unless its for something real serious

Quick Reply: Will cops chase above 100mph