General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

who should win?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
who should win?

ive got a few friends who ride and id like some opinions on where we should each ideally stand when compaired to eachother.

first off is an 01 cbr 600 f4i with hindle pipe
05 vfr 800 with leo vince pipes
my 01 vtr1000 with drilled baffles
and lastly a 94 rf600. guy thinks its fast, even talked smack to me but wont try to back up the smack talk.

like to see where all these bikes stack up if we were to line up and do a pull from a dig and say a 60 mph roll.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The VTR should obliverate all those... The VFR should walk away at top end... but from a standstill the grunt of the VTR will make short work of them...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

sweet figured as much

especially that rf600. hes stuck in the 90s, thinks his 90s ss wanna be bike will take mine and theres been some smack talk even though ive half throttled to avoid rear ending him while passing cars and such. lol. guess if its nice tomorrow we see just how bad of a shilllacking im gonna throw to him
Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
BTW... Stupid hurts... Don't be stupid...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Sounds like its time to break out the tape measure.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
What do you mean by that?

Not stupid I like to play safe but have fun at the same time. Pretty careful when we do go out and play
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Hahahahaha!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
What do you mean by that?

Not stupid I like to play safe but have fun at the same time. Pretty careful when we do go out and play
I meant that you should compare the width of your chickenstrips. What did you think I meant?

Seriously, Have a fun ride, but don't let competition cloud your brain. Your bike is by far the torque master of the group.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
These bikes all have about the same peak horsepower output (not sure about the RF600??) so I wouldn't expect to pull away by much if at all from 60 to top end.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Squid

robby26wi is on a distinguished road
i would put my money on the vfr...have riden them all and the vfr has a meaty midrange...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
You guys do own a superhawks don't you? Seriously though I'll respectfully disagree simply because a superhawk makes more horsepower, more torque, has a higher top speed and is quite a bit lighter than a vfr. From a dig is going to completely depend on the rider.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I remember reading tests reports on both the VTR and F4 - both top out in the low 150's (which sounds about right for bikes that put out around 100 to 105hp, and from what I've seen). Probably the VFR would be about the same.

Last edited by storm_rider; 08-22-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Why don't you and your friends just go out and have fun? There are some good curvy roads on the Niagara escarpment. The rider rather than the machine is the deciding factor. If you can't have fun without high speeds, why don't you all do a track day at Cayuga? In any case, you just got your Firestorm. Take the time to get to know it.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM
SuperBike

Oh I definatly am. I'm still taking my time through corners not pushing like the other guys are but I'm getting more comfortable on it we do a lot of twisty stuff. Did ridge rd and 21st st the other day along with some other fun roads

Sorry I'm new what are chicken strips? I thought the tape measure comment was to measure how close it was gonna be

For the most part we don't talk smack a bit of ball busting but the rf owner has been getting a little loose at the lips lately. He's also the same guy we have to wait for at every light and after every turn lol. And that's going at an easy pace

Man I hope its nice tomorrow. Gonna have a photoshoot with the bikes and a nice ride if its good. But its not looking good as of now.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
A chicken strip is an unworn portion of the tire near the edge. Wide chicken strips show that the bike isn't being leaned over much. Narrow or non-existent chicken strips show that the bike is being leaned over a lot.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

Oh right on. I learn something everyday. Lol. I think I'm doing good. I've got about an inch to go before I hit the edge
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by storm_rider
I remember reading tests reports on both the VTR and F4 - both top out in the low 150's (which sounds about right for bikes that put out around 100 to 105hp, and from what I've seen). Probably the VFR would be about the same.
I'd mostly agree with this but the Superhawk is a known entity and the VFR's went through what most would agree was an engineering demise.

My 97 (carbed) is about 50 pounds heavier than the Superhawk and about 5 mph faster. The 98's through 2001 were the first 800's and FI. Nice bike, I sorta owned one for about six weeks. Nice enough but no justification for owning two. 2002 spelled the end for the VFR. Pollution control, VTEC, added 70 pounds with diminished performance - it's a tank.

The last incarnation really stirred my juices. I actually had a purchase position for $5k under MSRP for the tricolor anniversary edition for about six weeks before their delivery to dealers. I was hot for that bike and the price was right.

When it arrived I went to look at it and I could hardly get it off its side stand. An absolute brick.

It was more everything except more motorcycle. As I walked out of the showroom everybody had their hand out hoping that I wouldn't just shake it and say thanks.

I offered my position here and there were no takers. I canceled my position after the contract 7 days. I don't regret it. I have seen them on the road and I don't even like them anymore.

After seeing Superbling's 96 VFR wrapped in CBR fairings I am confident I made the right choice.

It's important to note that there are 7 generations of VFR's and only one Superhawk. The Superhawk was built over a 5 year span and the VFR's about 20.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM
SuperBike

makes you wonder why haha.

i had one small run with my buddies vfr, we were doing a twisty run and came up on a car, from 60 to about 150 kph. now he pulled out first and we were both riing the right gear, i pulled out behind him and managed to reel his lead in by probably 120 kph and ended up 3/4 throttle just to keep from hitting him. later i asked him and he claims that he wasnt on it fully. then again he says he fed the cbr and the cbr owner says otherwise so i think theres one way to solve this and thats a 3 way hiway pull one night from a low speed

all good info guys.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

I saw a clean 1st generation VF750F Interceptor about a month ago. It looked surprisingly good for a 26 year old bike. Two of my hard core riding buddies from the '80s bought one the first year in '83.

Don't try to lose those chickenstrips all at once. Some say that if you don't have chickenstrips, you should be doing it on the track. When I rode most of the time with a group back then, we had an agreement that everyone would ride within their own limits. It makes for a more fun ride if nobody has to ride home to get a pick-up truck or call an ambulance. I was never in the front of the group, but twice we had a new guy with us that pushed too hard, went wide and crashed, fortunately without serious injury.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

Were pretty good about going at our own pace. The rf owner rides at a pace slower than a normal pace. My first day on the bike first time ever owning it riding carefully I had to wait for him a few times. Guys been riding for a year. For the most part though everyones fine and no ones gonna make you go harder than you want to. The chicken strps will stay for now. I've had a good lean on her and I'm at the end of my current comfort zone with the bike. For now anyways
Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
cbr600f4i has topend on shawk.
verified this over multiple runs.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
yea because hes in his teensy weensy powerband at top speed while the superhawk is running out of breath. but up to that point you were feeding it to him, hard!

but guess what.... you will absolutely walk away from the F4i up to that speed.

i did a pull from 70km/h to 200 with a 2001 Gixxer 750 with a -1+2 sprockets

roll on i pulled away but he reeled me in top end...so imagine what you would do with the 600's
Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

Gotta love that torque. Keep it above 5k rpm and it has all the punch I want coming out of a corner.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
a suzuki rf600 shouldnt be anything more than a glorified katana. heavy steal frame and lack luster power. unless the guy riding it can really throw down in the corners it would be a travisty if you on your hawk cant out corner him. i would be suprised if the rf (80hp at the rear wheel) can top 130mph.

Last edited by cameron; 08-23-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 AM
SuperBike

haha well even with the best rider i dont see this old rf really hanging me. and like i said, first day ever riding and we were waiting for him and thats not even riding hard, thats going at an easy pace learning the bike getting used to push steeering it still. hell man my 4th or so ride we went for a spin down the hiway and it was maybe a 20 km blast and we get to our coffee shop location and he calls saying he went home cause he couldnt keep up, complaining about us going too fast and stuff. and the funny thing is our buddy just bought a new new tiumph daytona 675 and was breaking in the motor so he wasnt reving it hard or high and he was only a couple minutes behind us and the rf guy couldnt even hold pace with him. terrible. i wish it was crappy out i really wanna lay a beating to him today and rub it in his face.

we were joking around the one day about runnng from the cops if were ever caught doing something stupid and i said well i know im getting away youre the slowest here youre getting caught. and hes like no way ill top end your bike, and really i laughed at him and from there it was on. now he just talks smack through a friend to me so i think he needs to be humbled. funny thing is hes seen my bike go and what he doesnt know is when ive opened her up i havent taken it over 7000 rpm because at the point it just pulled too hard for me a newer rider os i was always very easy on it around him.

and you guys are right about the 5000 rpm thing. the bike has so much low end grunt that ive just been cruising at 3000 knowing i can roll into it and its got enough go that in 4th and 5th gear itll still move itself at a good pace. but the other day i went for a spin after drilling out the rest of the baffles and i just couldnt keep her low in the rpms. she loves being at 5000 and higher. just sings at those engine speeds and it really awake.

oh and im wondering whats the vtr supposed to make at the rear wheel for hp completely stock and what if any gains are to be found after drilling out the baffles but not removing them?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ u're not really gaining anything. in fact, if your bike was tuned perfectly for the stock pipes, you'll loose as you are not running lean.

in all seriousness though...please, PLEASE, dont do any pulls with your buddies before u have a few months of riding under you. things can go wrong very quickly at those speeds.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I had a first gen vf750 interceptor. People would say, "Radiators"? and "why are the wheels different sizes"?. I would blast up the twisty part of the taconic PKWY every monday. What a treat. I changed the exhaust to single and lost 30 or so pounds. The bike did i mean. Then again I was 30 pounds lighter as well.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
dude did you not already know the answer to this, they are middling 600s exept for the vfr which arent that quick but arent meant to be anyway they arent that type of bike

anyway why are you having to ask on here? did they all beat you on the street even tho your bike is a lot faster

hawk is something like 110 horsepower i think i aint looked up the figures to make sure, its the torque that really does it tho. twins never have that high a horsepower figure so dont have huge top end speed, altho the hawk does 150 a 1000cc inline four would be over 180mph, but the twins have a lot more torque for epic acceleration and when would you even be doing 150 really
Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
Two weekends ago, dragged raced three friends at local dragstrip on "Run what you brung night." Length of strip was 1/8 mile, even with my wheelie prone launches i beat all three riding, 900 ducati ss, 2006 r6, 2006 fz6. My best time was 7.62 at 97.4 mph. Interestingly enough fz6 was faster than r6, most likely due to low end engine tuning. Hopped up Ducati was almost as fast as me!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
thats the torque of these bikes for ya, pull ya straight off the line

Quick Reply: who should win?