SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   What oil do I use? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/what-oil-do-i-use-33163/)

MIHAWK 05-02-2015 07:18 PM

What oil do I use?

I just bought a 1998 SuperHawk and it's a blast. I need to change the oil. I'm looking for recommendations. Conventional oil, Semi-synthetic, or full synthetic? What do you guys like?

scottiemann 05-02-2015 07:27 PM

OH SNAP!!!!

scottiemann 05-02-2015 07:33 PM

ok, ill spare you the harassment on this one (dont post such a sensitive subject on a forum) and tell you the answer... lol

the bike calls for 10w-40, use any that helps you sleep at night. If the previous owner stated theres a performance clutch in there then most performance clutches dont like synthetic oil. A lot of guys, including me, prefer rotella 15-40. Yes its marketed as a diesel motor oil, but motor oil is motor oil is motor oil and works great,

1971allchaos 05-02-2015 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started running this "CRAP" in the Superhawk (MAKES great SuperChicken)
Super Thin, Smart Balance at HIGHER RPMS... With no Extra weight , to carry around.... :O

1971allchaos 05-02-2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 385641)
ok, ill spare you the harassment on this one (dont post such a sensitive subject on a forum) and tell you the answer... lol

LOL, LOL........:)

scottiemann 05-02-2015 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 385643)
Started running this "CRAP" in the Superhawk (MAKES great SuperChicken)
Super Thin, Smart Balance at HIGHER RPMS... With no Extra weight , to carry around.... :O

ROFL!!!

chaos I'm trying to welcome noobs, not scare them off lololol

scottiemann 05-02-2015 08:02 PM

and MIHAWK, dont run any additives in your oil... wet clutch

mikstr 05-02-2015 08:05 PM

Rotella T3 is cheap, proven (excellent wear number and resistance to shearing) and has JASO certification for wet clutch. You can find more expensive, but will be hard-pressed to find a better performing oil.....

Wolverine 05-02-2015 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 385647)
You can find more expensive, but will be hard-pressed to find a better performing oil.....

I call BS!!

scottiemann 05-02-2015 08:17 PM

LOLOLOLOL

I love oil threads...

But seriously guy, run whatever helps you sleep at night... as long as its in spec and you change it when necessary/regular intervals youre good to go

scottiemann 05-02-2015 08:20 PM

complete service manual can be found in the knowledge base section of this forum if you dont have a hard copy

scottiemann 05-02-2015 08:24 PM

BTW wolverine can I change my build thread title? to scottiemann goes streetfighter?

mikstr 05-02-2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 385648)
I call BS!!

spend some time on the Bobistheoilguy site and see for yourself...... T3 is an excellent performer and a definite value leder... in the end, run what you want, it's one of the benefits of living in a free country.....

NZSpokes 05-02-2015 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 385655)
spend some time on the Bobistheoilguy site and see for yourself...... T3 is an excellent performer and a definite value leder... in the end, run what you want, it's one of the benefits of living in a free country.....

Sadly it is not sold here.

kenmoore 05-03-2015 02:04 AM

Ha ha,

Years ago I was laughed at by mates for using diesel oil in my bikes.

Years later they are all onto it as at some time or other I have done work/ services on their bikes.

The VTR , Aprillia and Duc all have diesel oil in them, and I sleep very well at night.

Google it, you'll be amazed at how many bikers use diesel oil in a wide variety of machinery.

Wolverine 05-03-2015 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 385655)
spend some time on the Bobistheoilguy site and see for yourself......

No need for that, I actually tried it in my bike. Shifts felt like beat down M1... YMMV
:evillaugh:

mikstr 05-03-2015 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 385664)
Sadly it is not sold here.

I believe they sell it as Rimula in your neck of the woods.......

mikstr 05-03-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 385666)
No need for that, I actually tried it in my bike. Shifts felt like beat down M1... YMMV
:evillaugh:

It seems that it has that effect in some bikes.... the "experts" seem to think it may be caused by its clutch grip...... an inconvenient downside (on some bikes) but its wear protection and resistance to shearing are beyond dispute...... have you tried some of the other competing diesel oils like Delo or Mobil ? Some like these better..... all are top quality inexpensive oils......

NZSpokes 05-04-2015 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 385667)
I believe they sell it as Rimula in your neck of the woods.......

Oh, that i didnt know. Would that be Rimula R4x?

Looks to be cheap here.

This is the spec sheet on it, http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...8en%29_TDS.pdf

xeris 05-04-2015 07:16 AM

Oh goodie, an oil thread. Where's VTR1000F?
I use fresh squeezed salmon. A little hard to find but with all the omega 3 it keeps your bikes cardio system healthy.

VTR1000F 05-04-2015 07:41 AM

Oil thread? This isn't an oil thread. I don't see a single post that mentions Mobil1. That's the only thing I consider "oil".

Wolverine 05-04-2015 07:44 AM

Hi!

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 385666)
Shifts felt like beat down M1..

It's now officially an oil thread....

http://www.thevog.net/file/attachmen...eb158_view.jpg

nnjhawk02 05-04-2015 08:44 AM

Yummy Earl Thread

1 Attachment(s)
I'm scared to use Rotella

But this topic ...

1971allchaos 05-04-2015 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 385727)
I'm scared to use Rotella

NNjhawk02, ya shouldn't post pictures of girlfriends, or mothers on this forum... Persons on this forum will be discussing "MAKing their OWN lubricates to the photo".... just an opinion....

Rotella is fine oil... Do you believe the engine on , or in ANY vehicle can differentiate between oils, The engine only has an issue when it is NOT lubricated.....

thedeatons 05-04-2015 07:29 PM

That is a funny thought, the engine being able to distinguish between oils... Could make for a funny Pixar movie...

"Crankshaft! Do you smell that?"

"No timing chain, what are you talking about?"

"Tastes like an oil recommended only for diesel engines to me", says Valve #1.

"Aw man, didn't that guy read the manual", expresses Rear Auto Cam Chain Tensioner.

"Quiet down up there and focus Rear Auto Cam Chain Tensioner, before you come apart," yells crankshaft.

"That's funny, I don't care who ya are", exclaims Front MANUAL Cam Chain Tensioner.

James

mikstr 05-04-2015 08:03 PM

First, they wowed us with Toy Story.... now it's time for.... "Oil Story"..... carries a JASO-13 rating and is safe for your little wet clutches.....

scottiemann 05-04-2015 08:09 PM

Cars 2 was about fuel, you should write pixar and tell them to make Cars 3 about oil :p

thetophatflash 05-04-2015 08:30 PM

Hold up for a minute. I need to finish making popcorn. You need proper nourishment to follow an oil thread. Did I mention the whiskey...

dirty_! 05-05-2015 03:19 PM

20-50 Castro car oil. works awesome

BigRed 05-05-2015 04:39 PM

Welcome! Glad you found your way to a 'hawk! Youre gonna love it!
So I guess oil is a touchy subject and I'm not sure why. Ive been in the automotiove business a while and I found that whatever meets the manufacturer spec is "best". If youre not sure, you can always call the local dealership and ask - I had very good results doing that.
If I may tell a short story...
I used castrol semi synthetic 10-40 for my first oil change and it worked great! Was rec'd by the parts guy at the local Bent Bike salvage yard. No noise, no leaks, didnt break down fast or nuthin'.
Second oil change after about 3000 miles, used amsoil fully synthetic cuz its supposed to be the shit. I noticed the engine was noisier and it started seeing wetness around the valve covers and head gaskets. Stood up well to some hard riding.
Third oil change after about another 3000 miles, went to Honda this time. Was about to buy another round of sythetic but decided to ask the parts guy. He pointed out a handy-dandy chart on the desk which showed the three types of oil and what years they are recommended for. Being a 2001, he said the semi was the "correct" oil for it and using synthetic can lead to noise and leaks (which mine was experiencing). So I bought 4 quarts of the Honda semi, a honda filter, and my baby has been happy for the last 3000 miles!
So I'm firmly in the "manufacturer" camp on this topic. Honda specifies the honda 10w-40 semi-synthetic so I really think thats what you should use. Pretty much takes the guesswork away, as you know its been engineered for these engines and will meet all the specs.
No need to make it any harder on yourself.