General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

went down on the hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:16 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
went down on the hawk

well i've had the hawk for about a month and I put it down. First time in 5 years I've been down on a bike. I live right off a double lane rotory and usually hit pretty hard lean angles going around it. Always used to drag pegs on it on my ninja and have been doing the same on the hawk, but have started trying to counterweight just enough to keep them off the pavement.

So the difference today was a repsol 1000 was behind my, kinda riding my ***, and my dumb *** had to show off and hit the rotary like I always do. I must have hit it just enough faster than I normally do (and I didn't counterweight) to go down. Low sided it just after initiating the hard turn and skid into the other lane. I was just thinking as I was going town "what the hell, how is this happening, what did I do wrong" and then hit the pavement. Hopped to my feet, shook my head and lifted the bike onto its stand. The cbr stopped as did the car that would have ran me over if he didn't stop. I told them I was okay. I asked the repsol guy if My tire had cut loose or what. He said he just saw my foot and pegs hit first and then I went down.

Guess it was enough pressure pulled off the tire to low side it. I was geared up, my wrist and hand hurts and my knee is skinned. Other than that I'm fine and lucky.

Enjoy the picks, i'd love some advise.

PS fairings are remarkably UNTOUCHED! clutch lever, left barend, left mirror, left directional, left can, shifter peg are rashed. Case and fork and wheels look fine.

Think i need a new rearset?
Attached Thumbnails went down on the hawk-crash-001.jpg   went down on the hawk-crash-002.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

probably should learn to embed pics like everyone else
Attached Thumbnails went down on the hawk-crash-003.jpg   went down on the hawk-crash-006.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

what i get for showing off
Attached Thumbnails went down on the hawk-crash-007.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

my gf is a nurse and imediately put alcohol in my rash. ouch
Attached Thumbnails went down on the hawk-crash-008.jpg   went down on the hawk-crash-011.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 03:29 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Damage doesn't look bad at all. Glad everything worked out ok.

Those kind of things can happen for any number of reasons, not shifting you center of gravity to allow more room being a big one. Lots of people, when showing off, crash because they are fixated on either the speedometer or the mirror.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
when i read your thread title,i was thinking that must have burned your lips!

glad your ok!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vermontzx6r
Think i need a new rearset?
From being on this board for a while I can tell you that that shift lever is going to be hard to find. It seems like half of us have shifters that look like that. I know I do. Maybe just put a new piece of rubber on it. Glad you and the bike are relatively unscathed.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nurses tends to have a mean streak like that... And it tends to get even worse if they happens to like you and feel a bit shook up by it...

If you are scraping pegs like that, are you sure you aren't (over)loading the suspension? The stock was kinda twitchy on me when close to bottoming...

I actually think an adjustable rearset might make it worse... More agressive lean angle isn't an solution, it's a symptom... If you are decking out on the pegs, either the setup is wrong or you are really pushing it...

Just a thought... Glad it didn't end up worse for either you or the bike...

Last edited by Tweety; 09-29-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

I definitely push it. obviously I need to smarten up and realize the new bike isn't an RR. I need to work on counterbalencing and would probably be wise to get some leathers with sliders.

that said, I do scrape the peg finders a lot, by accident. I have the rear preload on position 4, and the front cranked clockwise 120 degrees. Sometimes on higher speed turns where I dont really realize how far over I am I'll get a rude " SKKKKKRRRAPE".

Edit: Searching for parts online. Has anyone seen a integrated mirror-directional on a hawk? Looking for amber flushmounts, shifter, and a mirror. Checked ebay already, will search forum but appreciate suggestions

Last edited by vermontzx6r; 09-29-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
that's why I went with high mount pipes and took the peg feelers off.
when I feel the boot scrape, I know that's enough lean, lol!

BTW, the PC gods swatted you: "looks kinda retarded". Don't mess with the short bus!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I just fixed my shift lever by welding a new peg on the shifter arm, then just put a new rubber on it and it looks good as new, so it can be fixed if you cant find a repacement. You lucked out as well not damaging the pricy fairing bits.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
that's why I went with high mount pipes and took the peg feelers off.
when I feel the boot scrape, I know that's enough lean, lol!

BTW, the PC gods swatted you: "looks kinda retarded". Don't mess with the short bus!
karma is a bitch.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Damn you're lucky all things considered. Anytime you can get away with no permanent injuries you're ahead of the game. Bikes can be fixed and you're really lucky there...very light damage. Get some mountainbike knee/shinguards. I have two pairs from fox I bought used off ebay. Best $30 I ever spent. Saved my *** when I lowsided my 'hawk. They fit great under pants, you'll forget they're even there, and were the difference (along with the rest of my gear) between peeling my kneecap off and walking away without a scratch. Sorry 'bout the bike but glad you're ok.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 PM
MotoGP

Gsxr mirrors with indicators Can be made to fit with a bit of work...

The stock rear shock is about as responsive as a 2*4... Next on my list. Is än ohlins or similar...
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

Btw take the feelers of asap... Boots make noise, pegs Catch and throw you off...
Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Glad you weren't seriously hurt and the bike isn't real badly messed up!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

just took it to the gas station and back. hit only about 60mph but everything feels straight and true. Looking at my pipes from behind reveals the bracket on the left one is tweaked and the look very silly. will have to see if I can straighten that out.

How much extra clearance do you guys with high mounts really have?

Tweety- why do you consider the added clearance of new rear sets to be a detriment?

Is the shifter Al or Steel... I.E. would I have to tig weld a new peg to it?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:23 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
It seems like most people just drill a hole and put a bolt through instead of actualy welding it, but it's aluminum I'm pretty sure.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm not a "gear ****"

I was geared up
but even the suggested shin pads are no substitute for decent full leathers or the eq. I have worn "full protection" for at least the last 18 years or so and feel "naked" without it. When I was at the Indy MotoGp on Saturday I went without mc pants and boots because I thought it would be a hassle to check them (though it would not have been), and on one had it was interesting to feel the wind through my pants and shoes, I still was very careful there and back. But to go even partially naked on a regular basis seems silly given the relatively low cost of a good set of gear (more so now with the many easy on and off suits now available compared to years ago when only Aerostitch was available) compared to the cost of skin grafts and worse.

You were lucky and maybe now will consider not only improving your technique but also better gear. Spend the money on yourself before you mc.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Glad you are ok.. I too scrape the peg feelers pretty often.. But mostly because I do it on purpose

consider raising the rear with a spacer per Greg's site: http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html (can't link directly)
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Glad you are ok. Looks like the Rocket Alter Ego held up pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the pants now... I have the same riding coat. Again, glad you are well.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:09 AM
MotoGP

just took it to the gas station and back. hit only about 60mph but everything feels straight and true. Looking at my pipes from behind reveals the bracket on the left one is tweaked and the look very silly. will have to see if I can straighten that out.

How much extra clearance do you guys with high mounts really have?

Tweety- why do you consider the added clearance of new rear sets to be a detriment?

Is the shifter Al or Steel... I.E. would I have to tig weld a new peg to it?

Because the first point of contact is the footpegs/boots... With highmounts on the hawk actually have rather good clearence...

That means that if you move the pegs something more important, and likely more solid will make contact and then you are getting thrown off for sure...

Metal against tarmac means that you loose the tires in most cases... Boots doesn't...

My first action in your place would be to loose the feelers, and shim the rear up about 4-5 mm... And consider a highmount setup...

If that doesn't get you the corner speed you need, then it's on to the expensive stuff... New front-end and new rear shock... The superhawk might not be an RR but you can get damned close if you re-work it a bit...
Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
when i read your thread title,i was thinking that must have burned your lips!

glad your ok!
Now thats funny.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Originally Posted by skokievtr
but even the suggested shin pads are no substitute for decent full leathers or the eq. I have worn "full protection" for at least the last 18 years or so and feel "naked" without it. When I was at the Indy MotoGp on Saturday I went without mc pants and boots because I thought it would be a hassle to check them (though it would not have been), and on one had it was interesting to feel the wind through my pants and shoes, I still was very careful there and back. But to go even partially naked on a regular basis seems silly given the relatively low cost of a good set of gear (more so now with the many easy on and off suits now available compared to years ago when only Aerostitch was available) compared to the cost of skin grafts and worse.

You were lucky and maybe now will consider not only improving your technique but also better gear. Spend the money on yourself before you mc.
I am a college student and live 1.25 miles away from school. Obviously accidents can happen anywhere, especially close to home. The route to get to school is over 25mph roads. I think wearing steel toed boots, jeans, textile jacket, full gloves and helmet is pretty geared up knowing that, if i do go down, it will be at low speed.

my biggest danger in this situation was getting run over, in which case a $1000+ set of leathers would have just gotten scalpled open in the ER. Again I'm in school and would be hard pressed to by another set of carhartts ($40 a pop). Had I been wearing double fronts instead of levis my leg would probably be fine.

You're right about tecnique, I need to stop riding my bike like a its a ninja. I have hit that rotary harder and lower and not gone down, but it was not on a hawk so I paid for not knowing the limit.

59 burst- good call on the jacket ID from the small pick. I actually was surprised how hard it took it. At 20mph it sheared everything down to skin. I stopped just before my wrist took it hard, I have a tiny laceration on my wrist where the jacet wore through. My GF has an Icon merc, inexpensive but seams a lot more rugged.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I am a college student and live 1.25 miles away from school

Takes you 3 minutes @ 25mph - almost as quick as Roger Bannister....

Could you walk to school from that distance or alternatively, if you have to use the bike, go the long way round to warm your tires up before starting scratching.

Last edited by Wicky; 09-30-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
the shifter is aluminum and I tig welded it, pretty easy, before that someone had a bolt running through the hole they created and it kept coming loose. Now nice and solid.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wicky

Takes you 3 minutes @ 25mph - almost as quick as Roger Bannister....

Could you walk to school from that distance or alternatively, if you have to use the bike, go the long way round to warm your tires up before starting scratching.
I could definitely walk. I'm really not lazy either (not that lazy) but I like to ride and at the end of 4 or 5 hours of structural steel and foundation design classes It puts a smile on my face to swing a leg over my bike and ride home.

I should take the long way though and let em warm up.

I ran a 4:25 mile in HS so maybe I could cut the commute time in half and run!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I could definitely walk. I'm really not lazy either (not that lazy) but I like to ride and at the end of 4 or 5 hours of structural steel and foundation design classes It puts a smile on my face to swing a leg over my bike and ride home.

I should take the long way though and let em warm up.

I ran a 4:25 mile in HS so maybe I could cut the commute time in half and run!
Architecture or Structural? I started out as a aerospace engineer (structures, advanced composites, non-metalics, ceramics & composite metal alloys) and in 81 went over to the dark side (i.e., architectural engineering) due to the economy. Stop! Go into electrical engineering and computers pertaining to medical applications and prosthetics. Archs & Engrs are the lowest paid pros out there, get no respect and are treated like contractors and vendors! Believe me when I tell you unless you are very lucky, you'll make more $$ as a union tuck pointer without the stress. There is no statute of limitations for professional liability and PLI is very expensive and must be maintained for life (via a tail policy). Having your name associated with an ediface is not worth it.

BTW, JR jackets come apart at less than 20 mph. I was wearing one when I was taken out on my bicycle (by another bicyclist) and I was not impressed with the damage to the JR nylon (about 18 mph slide). Cotton, even double layers disappears in a puff of smoke at 5 mph. Walk or bicycle to school and leave the VTR for extended trips. You can by a full set of decent leathers for $500 or better gear used. Even mesh overpants are better than cotton. Check out NewEnough or other websites. If you can afford a VTR you can afford gear for yourself. Plain and simple...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
Glad you are ok. Looks like the Rocket Alter Ego held up pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the pants now... I have the same riding coat. Again, glad you are well.
AlterEgo offers ZERO protection other than the CE armor. I read an article on Sport-touring.net about a guy that crash tested it, the seat of the pants disappeared upon contact with the asphalt. Lucky for him he had denim underneath.

I thought the knees of my AlterEgo pants were pretty substantial because they are thicker than the rest of the pants, but when I dragged a knee on the Dragon yesterday the knee was shredded in a split second. No slide protection whatsoever!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

I am a civil. I live in VT and like it here. Jobs in ME and EE are limited to IBM and General Dynamics, both in burlington area. I have worked construction my whole life and like CE. 40,000 starting is enough for me. BTW we dont like unions here.

Joe Rocket IS bush league.

Quick Reply: went down on the hawk