General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ways to shed weight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Ways to shed weight?

I am just trying to gather opinions on what are some ways to shed some weight on the SH?

Battery
Rotors
Rims

I am lightening myself up a bit too!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
well rotors will give you miniscule results, unless you take one entire side front brake assembly off and that's all i got
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Here is what I have done (so far):
- lightened flywheel
- magnesium wheels
- undertail
- 2-1 exhaust
- PAIR removal (not much...)
- lighter battery (YT12A-B I beleive, is 1.7 lbs lighter I think)
- passenger pegs removed

Would love to do more but the remaining significant stuff costs $$$$$$$
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Do what im doing. Lose everything unnecessary.

Aluminum subframe, aluminum fuel tank, no airbox, ytz10 battery, single radiator, lightened flywheel, lighter exhaust, minimalistic everything

stuff like that

Also helps that im 130 lbs

Last edited by Truckinduc; 03-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nothing
well rotors will give you miniscule results, unless you take one entire side front brake assembly off and that's all i got
yes but its rotating mass so it will help with handling
Old 03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Radical but effective

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Not sure if it really makes that big of a deal. Try this, run your tank down til the low fuel light comes on. That will give you what, about 1/2 gallon to a gallon of fuel? I think the fuel tank holds 4.5 gallons so say you are down 3 gallons of fuel near the low fuel light.

Gas weighs about 7.5 lbs/gal so you are down roughly 26 lbs of weight (that is high on the bike's center of gravity) from when you have a full tank.

Run it through some twisties with the low fuel, then fill it up and try it again. If you notice that much of a difference, I guess it's worth spending the hundreds of dollars to lose some pounds.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
+1; although Oi'd say wheels taken to the extreme - like mag or CF would be first on the list...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Radical but effective

wicky, was wondering WTF is that whacky one-wheeled whatchamacallit? will ya enlighten us?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The best is a diet + exercise.. It will increase the performance of every vehicle you drive!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
wicky, was wondering WTF is that whacky one-wheeled whatchamacallit? will ya enlighten us?
http://www.the-uno-tomorrows-transpo...Home_Page.html
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
There isn't too much info on it out there. Its brand new. Companies just bought the patent to start putting it into production. I think it will be 2010 before we see them on the road. With that said it is what it looks like, its basically what you would see if a segway and and a bike made babies. Its an semi-electric one wheeled bike that was the science fair project of a current MIT freshman. He came in second in the science fair with this as his project. What was the reason he didn't win? He hadn't worked out the kinks and could keep the thing from exploding into an electronic ball of flames.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lazn
The best is a diet + exercise.. It will increase the performance of every vehicle you drive!

Dang, beat me to it.

Kai Ju
Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Squid

usmc7051 is on a distinguished road
Remove the fairings. Always did like the streetfighter look.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NAVY8TR
There isn't too much info on it out there. Its brand new. Companies just bought the patent to start putting it into production. I think it will be 2010 before we see them on the road. With that said it is what it looks like, its basically what you would see if a segway and and a bike made babies. Its an semi-electric one wheeled bike that was the science fair project of a current MIT freshman. He came in second in the science fair with this as his project. What was the reason he didn't win? He hadn't worked out the kinks and could keep the thing from exploding into an electronic ball of flames.
Stupidest thing ever for the street. Emergency stops, YA RIGHT.

Originally Posted by usmc7051
Remove the fairings. Always did like the streetfighter look.
It will slightly help acceleration up to about 80, but it dramatically reduces top speed.

Carbon or mag wheels are as good as it gets. Any time you can remove rotating unsprung mass is the best. It will accelerate better, corner MUCH better, and brake better. If you wanna spend over 2 or 3k
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dam! that is totally awesome. this kid is definitely a genius.

I believe it has two wheels if i heard correctly?

Looks like if you have a head-on crash, your head's going to be literally up your ***, huh!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 PM
MotoGP

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dam! that is totally awesome. this kid is definitely a genius.

I believe it has two wheels if i heard correctly?

Looks like if you have a head-on crash, your head's going to be literally up your ***, huh!
Oh I agree, it's another flop to be like the segway.. only with fairings.. I wonder if he is licensing the segway patents as it is the same damn thing, if not I smell a lawsuit.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
There is a lot of junk on a bike which you definitely don't need... silly stuff like a kickstand safety switch, clutch safety switch, etc. Sure it's there for a reason, and it helps, but it certainly isn't necessary. And it does NOT cost a lot of money to lose weight. It costs a lot of money for flashy replacement parts which are lighter than the stock piece you don't even need in the first place.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
if you want to keep the bike looking mostly stock, or not like a street fighter, you could always have an aluminum rear sub frame made to replace the steel one. Also the steel gauge holder could be replaced with aluminum as well, that would probably shave 2-5 pounds. Does anyone still make a carbon fiber tank?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Squid

Oz Stormer is on a distinguished road
Bet it does great wheelies
Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
How much does the PAIR crap weight?

After market wind screen.

If all else fails and ya need to drop more weight......ride nekid! That's a few pounds.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRFISH
How much does the PAIR crap weight?

After market wind screen.

If all else fails and ya need to drop more weight......ride nekid! That's a few pounds.
I'm all for weight reduction too, but I believe it is best to buy a bike that is light to begin with, yet still suits your needs, rather than buying one and trying to cut every little bit off it to get the weight down a relatively small amount. It's difficult to reduce weight significantly on a lot of today's bikes.

I had an 88 1000cc hurricane that I put the bigger wheels and Ohlins shock and it was great except for being too heavy for the country twisty roads I ride, so when I had a chance to buy a superhawk, I took it. From this point for me, it's difficult to reduce weight without spending a lot of greenbacks that are in short supply on this end. If I had the $$$$$$$, I would first reduce unsprung weight and buy light wheels, calipers, sprockets/chain, and tires. Unsprung weight provides the best bang for the buck in my estimation, then suspension upgrades front and rear, then lighter exhaust pipes and carb work to match.

The thing to remember is that the main ingredient is the rider. Indeed there are people riding much heavier, less capable bikes who can leave you scratching your head in wonderment when you think you are doing a respectable job on your favorite curvy road and you get your doors blown off. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
You can get titanium axles and swingarm pivot for about $2500.

That's probably about $100/ounce. Must be some good S#%$.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
lol! I bought titanium brake disc screws...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
the most effective way to drop weight is to swap out the pipes with titanium, or aluminium, or carbon. the stock cans weigh about 10lbs each. I don't have them anymore, but my hindle ti-highmounts weighed 3lbs each. you can feel it in every tip-in.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
the most effective way to drop weight is to swap out the pipes with titanium, or aluminium, or carbon. the stock cans weigh about 10lbs each. I don't have them anymore, but my hindle ti-highmounts weighed 3lbs each. you can feel it in every tip-in.
lets start bicycling to loose wt soon... my VTR will not be ready for another 3 wks or so.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Squid

Johnny_Rocket is on a distinguished road
These are all of the things we could think of before the beer did us in....

Tires & wheels
Removing 4 lbs of wheel and or tire is equivalent to removing 100 lbs of chassis weight in a racecar. We would intentionally pit 6 laps from the finish to swap in tires that were almost worn out because they were 6 lbs lighter than the ones on the car. You never noticed 24 lbs so much! Also, use a tire that is easy to balance "Avon’s & Michelins" to avoid excessive wheel weights.

Hybrid sprockets "aluminum / steel"
Replace front sprocket cover with vacuum formed replacement "not as hard to find as one might think"
Cheap flush mounts
CBR mirrors
Remove one seat safety hook
Use cheap oil filter
Remove passenger foot pegs + mounts & replace with a chunk of 3/16 AL plate shaped like a T
Use tiny battery
Remove fuel level senders guts and pack tank with fuel cell foam "cuts capacity by maybe .5 gallon"
Aftermarket aluminum pipes with coarse stainless steel packing. If they are slip on's, ditch the springs that hold the pipes to the cans and rivet them into place "2 rivets per side"
Replace faring bolts with nylon Allen cap bolts "McMaster Carr"
Cut off all metal wire retainers and replace with zip ties.
Replace all hose clamps with heat shrink hose bands "EXPENSIVE!"
Trim off unused cast mounting points "reflector mounting ears on front forks"
Remove starter & relay and install blanking plate over hole "push start it"

Or..... buy a faster bike... like an RC51...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
520 chain vs stock.....a pound or 2?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
You can get titanium axles and swingarm pivot for about $2500.

That's probably about $100/ounce. Must be some good S#%$.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
lets start bicycling to loose wt soon... my VTR will not be ready for another 3 wks or so.
its funny you should suggest that because that's exactly what I'm doing. I tried to drag the wife into it with me but she was never much of a cyclist. but I need to lose the gut.

Quick Reply: Ways to shed weight?