General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR-CBR comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
VTR-CBR comparison

Does anybody have any first hand (riding) experience comparing say a CBR1000RR with a Superhawk? I rode my friends CBR954 and wasn't as impressed as I expected. He says the 1000RR is quite a bit more powerful. I think I'm already craving more, or different power. The 954 felt so smooth compared to the VTR it almost felt like an electric bike! The power was just so different but not as "hang on" feeling. I would specifically like to hear from someone who has gotten off a VTR and gotten right on a CBR1000RR.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well our illustrious moderator Greg (Hawkrider) has one of each.. And given that he has not sold the VTR yet there must be some reason he keeps it around.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
SuperSport

62 posts on vtr vs rc51 and 1 on this comparison??
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
when you rode the 954 did you rev the **** out of it? remember everything is at the top end of an I4
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
when you rode the 954 did you rev the **** out of it? remember everything is at the top end of an I4
Especially true for a 954 or 929. Other literbikes are better and many of them make more torque and horsepower by 7-8 grand than the Super Hawk makes at its peak; there really is no comparison between a modern day 1000 inline 4 and the Super Hawk in terms of power.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by killer5280
Especially true for a 954 or 929. Other literbikes are better and many of them make more torque and horsepower by 7-8 grand than the Super Hawk makes at its peak; there really is no comparison between a modern day 1000 inline 4 and the Super Hawk in terms of power.
No comparison, as in, the inline 4 1000 kills the sh power wise? I only got about 8k out of the 954. It just didn't seem to have the seat of the pants feel. I understand that the SH has that feeling and it starts pretty low (4500-8000) but I just expected more from the 954. I'm sure if I got out and broke 9k or so I'd feel that 954. I am just wondering about the 1000rr especially.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
Usually you can't really compare a vtwin sport bike to a I4 sports bike.... but in terms of power you really cannot compare a 110 hp vtwin designed in 1997 with a 170 hp I4 designed after 2004...

Ok, the twin has all the grunt from low revs and bla bla, but once the Fireblade gets its RPM right.....

If you want a more balanced comparison, try the Ducati 1198 with the current Fireblade (although the Duc has 200cc more)
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have ridden several CBR's... both 954's and 1000's... At 8k they are starting to make power, not stopping like the VTR... The 954 gets fun about 2000 rpm before redline, and then it's time to shift... But in that narrow band it kicks the snot out of the VTR... The problem is that if you keep it there on open roads, you break every speedlimit you can find...

The 1000 has a little bit wider powerband... Probably not much more power, but the same over a larger band... Same problem applies with speedlimits... On a track though they are fun, fun, fun...
Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Remember too that the pre-2008 CBR1000RR and post-2008 are two completely different animals too....
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
The VTR has instantaneous throttle response being a 90 degree vee-twin. IL-4's just don't measure up in this respect.

My 'Busa has pretty good lower mid range grunt (it's top end grunt is absolutely insane!). Bit of a lag when it begins to grunts tho', as if the throttle cable is made of knicker elastic.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by storm_rider
The VTR has instantaneous throttle response being a 90 degree vee-twin. IL-4's just don't measure up in this respect.

My 'Busa has pretty good lower mid range grunt (it's top end grunt is absolutely insane!). Bit of a lag when it begins to grunts tho', as if the throttle cable is made of knicker elastic.
You can thank the Dual-throttle induction system for that. As an example, I test rode the B-King two years ago and my biggest disappointment was precisely the sanitized response in the lower and mid-range. Unfortunately, with EFI, most companies have taken to "protect us from ourselves" by doing this. Rip that out, stick some carbs on there and I guarantee yiou that the Busa and virtually every other large bore street engine would amaze you with their low-rpm response.

BTW, have a look at the dyno charts for virtually any Open-class sportbike since the VTR was launched and they are virtually stronger at EVERY rpm. This "I4s only have top-end" idea was born back in the day of the first GSX-Rs when this was in fact the case but new Literbikes have tremendously wide powerbands.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Seems to me that folks always try to compare apples to oranges
Even if you consider the SH to be a full sport bike, than compare it to a sport bikes of that generation. SH came out in 1997, so compare it to the sport bike of the same generation. And even then, comparing an i4 bike to SH in that generation is not right because it’s a different type of a machine. If anything, compare it to a TL.
I like SH because of constant torque feel. I don’t care to be able to go 150, and I don’t care to be able to have crazy top end acceleration….
I don’t care that a new 750 is faster than my SH. I like the bike for what it is and what it offers. I rode my cousins 06 Gixxer 1000 and even though it will fry the Super Chicken for lunch, I don’t care for it, I would still pick SH.
By that’s just my .02
Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Rancho,

I currently own superhawk and 945rr, although I enjoy riding the 954, it is not in the cards to have 2 streetbikes at this time in my life. So one goes.
Not sure about the 954 you rode but mine is pissed off and does not want me on it. Great mid range and top end pulls hard. Power to weight it is right on par with the first two generations of the 1000. Fun bike, but I find myself going too fast too often and not nearly as comfortable.

My $.02
Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
I have ridden several CBR's... both 954's and 1000's... At 8k they are starting to make power, not stopping like the VTR... The 954 gets fun about 2000 rpm before redline, and then it's time to shift... Below that it keeps level with the VTR and in that narrow band it kicks the snot out of the VTR... The problem is that if you keep it there on open roads, you break every speedlimit you can find...

The 1000 has a little bit wider powerband... Probably not much more power, but the same over a larger band... Same problem applies with speedlimits... On a track though they are fun, fun, fun...
Since others (mikstr, VTS) have posted I'll re-word my statement a bit...
Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
jbaxx has one of each. It seems like he posted something about this recently.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Squid

BlackhawksFan is on a distinguished road
My co-worker has an 08 1000rr. That is a track bike with signals. Scary power. He has a 2 Brothers Slip on, removed reg, and dyno. Last I recall he is at 160 to the wheel.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:25 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Another important note no one ever considers off of the show room or in comparos is the all important ego boost. Everyone thinks about it the wrong way, you see if you are on the "fastest" of sport bikes but still getting beat by someone on something considered slow for a sport bike then the excuses have to come. Its a certifiable fact, on the vs argument if someone cleans my clock on a bike with 60 hp more then me... well I don't need to make excuses its just a faster bike .
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
Does anybody have any first hand (riding) experience comparing say a CBR1000RR with a Superhawk? I rode my friends CBR954 and wasn't as impressed as I expected. He says the 1000RR is quite a bit more powerful. I think I'm already craving more, or different power. The 954 felt so smooth compared to the VTR it almost felt like an electric bike! The power was just so different but not as "hang on" feeling. I would specifically like to hear from someone who has gotten off a VTR and gotten right on a CBR1000RR.
Yes, I have had a 954RR and currently own a 1000RR.
Neither bike stock, but both bikes have lots of power everywhere. My 954 had a full Micron Serpent exhaust and would pull from IDLE in 6th gear. It pulled a lot harder at redline haha Definitely smooth and "electric" compared to the Superhawk, but I would say if you don't think it's fast enough, you need to open the throttle more and let the big dog eat. Then look down at the speedo. Yeah, better roll out.
60-80 roll on is like 2.5 sec stock. That's quicker than a 'Busa.

The 1000RR has about 15 more hp on top (stock) but also weighs more.

I have a slip-on, PC, velocity stacks, BMC race filters, 520 gearing (-1 +2), Carrozzeria forged aluminum wheels, and I feel like I can hardly use all it's power on the track, much less the street, but it's still a lot of fun anyway. Besides, it handles great, has upgraded suspension and brakes and looks pretty good too IMO.

At the end of the day, I sold the 954 because I felt that the Superhawk was the more character-laden everyday fun bike that still had more than enough performance for the street.

I bought the 1000RR because I missed the Big Power - and yes, it does have "hang on" power - I let my buddy ride and he says it scares him. I told him don't feel too bad it kinda scares me too, but it's fun.

At the end of the day the CBR's have superior performance but less comfort, so the Superhawk is the bike I ride the most often - and it has a few choice mods as well.

Name:  DSCFCBR1000RR.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  954profile.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  70.1 KB
Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

I've always liked the 954 but never got a chance to ride one. Considering it weighs in at 370 lb dry (as per Honda`s figures), it must be pretty agile and those monstrous 330 mm front rotors must bike like crazy too....
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'm going to agree, if you didn't get over 8K, you didn't even wake the bike up yet. I got the opportunity to ride a CBR600RR and 1000RR last year. Rode the 600 first. I was tooling along, around 5K, and went to whack the throttle open. Now on the SH, you start moving. The 600 gave me the bird and said "not yet". Around 8K, it tried to jerk itself from my grasp, and stay that way till I shifted.

Having learned that with the 600, I rode the 1000 differently. When I wanted to go, I downshifted, spun her up and away we went.

The power is not comparible. It is apples and oranges as stated. If you want all around enjoyability, the SH makes the power where the average rider will use it. If you want raw unadulterated power, from 7 or 8K on up, then and I4 is it.

This is comparable in cars/trucks. Except the Inlines need turbos. My first Jeep was a V-6, and I've owned a few I-6s. Cars were all I-4s. My latest vehicle is a Chevy truck with a V-8.

All of the Vs that I've owned have been easier and happier to drive. The V-Twin, the V-6 and the V-8. I've ridden a V-4 and loved it as well.

If it is within my means and abilities to accomplish, all of my future modes of transportation will be powered by a engine that is of a "V" configuration.

I'm so glad that more bike manufacturers are making Vs now.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
MotoGP

On a side note... I got a ride on a Aprilia RSV4 Factory yesterday... And I can say that is has the characteristics of both a V and a IL engine... And it's one pissed of engine... I like...

It has the bottom grunt of a V-twin, and the top end of an IL4... And if you even consider whacking the throttle to full from below 8K you better be prepared for it... It goes from docile to trying to buck you off in the time it takes to open the throttle... And this is not a wimpy little 600 trying to toss you, it's a big angry 1000... And then if you are still on it, it sets of like a bat out of hell... Get on the power a bit more gradually though and it's very nice...

The only complaint I have is the size of the thing... It feels like a 250 for heavens sake... The good thing is you can flick it around anyway you like if you are my size, it's heaven on a track... The bad part is I'd probably need a chiropractor if I tried a roadtrip on it...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Originally Posted by mikstr
I've always liked the 954 but never got a chance to ride one. Considering it weighs in at 370 lb dry (as per Honda`s figures), it must be pretty agile and those monstrous 330 mm front rotors must bike like crazy too....
It's very agile, especially with such a short wheel base, but also has a reputation as being a little flighty. The 1000RR is much more stable and calm compared to the 954's over-caffeinated feeling.

The 954 is kinda like having a bunch of over-excited dogs on a leash.

The 1000RR is like The Terminator - a calm, yet brutally effective killing machine!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
All that power and you can only go 70mph next to the KIA Reo on the highway...shame.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
Try riding the SH between 6K and 8K all the time. I think this will take care of your "power need". Chances are you will be going faster than you think.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Originally Posted by thusspakebenji
All that power and you can only go 70mph next to the KIA Reo on the highway...shame.
But I can do 150+ on the track haha
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
1. You're bike is very nice

2. Damn you lucky **** for having a track near you, I am extremely jealous and will now proceed to come crash on your couch for the soul purpose of going out on the track :P

Really though we dont have much here in upstate NY, if anyone knows of a track I'd love to get the info
Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
I owned a 2004 1000rr for two years, bought it new. It was a wonderfully balanced bike, accelerated like a missle, etc, etc.....Nothing compares to a v-twin, nothing. I would'nt trade my S/H for anything, well...maybe an 1198r.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
I got a chance to ride a customized r6 and my friends 2005 stock cbr1000rr and to tell you the truth the I think my mountain bike had more power than the 600 and the 1000rr was fun but once you get spoiled by the V-twin torque I4's will always leave you kinda wanting more.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
What actually got me away from a cruiser and to a sport bike was riding a friends CBR929RR for a couple hours one afternoon. And then I found a VTR for a good price and picked it up. I knew nothing about sport bikes or the different engine characteristics between an I4 and V2. Now when I ride my friends CBR I'm glad I accidentally ended up with a Vtwin. If find the twin alot easier to ride on the street but If I needed a track bike it would be a I4. Every street bike I will ever own will be a V style engine.

Quick Reply: VTR-CBR comparison